POA tables?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: POA tables?

Post by kronenblatt »

Paul59 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 pm
Thanks, Paul! I was hoping someone like you would know and post the answer. :)
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very helpful.

As my POA Guide is not intended to document every nuance, but instead give players a quick reference, I have updated it to just include the "typical" POA adjustments for quality. I think it looks great and I have added the "highly superior" category. I have also improved the readability (especially when printed) to include dashed-lines to separate rows.

I think the guide is ready for "prime time" if someone wants to pin it.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

CaptainPunka wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 pm Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very helpful.

As my POA Guide is not intended to document every nuance, but instead give players a quick reference, I have updated it to just include the "typical" POA adjustments for quality. I think it looks great and I have added the "highly superior" category. I have also improved the readability (especially when printed) to include dashed-lines to separate rows.

I think the guide is ready for "prime time" if someone wants to pin it.
Thanks! Added.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:05 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:35 pm Richard; Could you enlighten us please? Or if someone else knows the answer?
....Comprehensive answer...
Thanks Paul
Richard Bodley Scott

CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

I don't see a new thread in the "stickied" part of this forum. Maybe I'm blind though. Is it there yet?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

CaptainPunka wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 pm I don't see a new thread in the "stickied" part of this forum. Maybe I'm blind though. Is it there yet?
It's in the first post of the stickied Quick Questions on Rules thread, as a link.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Overlappers only applies to large units of spearmen or pikes with a proportion of heavy weapon men. (e.g. Low Countries spear units with a proportion of men with goedendag, Swiss or Landsknecht pike units with a proportion of men with halberd or two-handed sword). There are no such units in the game as yet.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by grahamed »

CaptainPunka wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm As requested I have created an updated POA chart which includes any POA adjustments I could find in the patch notes.

I have tried to carefully word the chart to avoid potential confusion. I have also merged Ancients and Medieval into one chart as it seems they are easily compatible and I don't want to maintain separate charts. If in the future they diverge at all, I will denote these divergences in the sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If anyone sees any corrections needed, please let me know by replying to this thread.

Regards
Hey captain this is really useful, many thanks
CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

You're welcome! I love the game and am glad I can contribute. :)
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

Thanks for making this!

However, there is something weird with the formatting - when I view the document, it automatically jumps to the right edge of the spreadsheet, and (at least on my screen) you can't view the actual table unless you keep sliding the bottom slider bar back to the left.
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

ray552 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:35 pm Thanks for making this!

However, there is something weird with the formatting - when I view the document, it automatically jumps to the right edge of the spreadsheet, and (at least on my screen) you can't view the actual table unless you keep sliding the bottom slider bar back to the left.
Hey Ray I just looked at it on google docs on my iPhone and it reads fine, both the table and the beginners guide, maybe download the file and try viewing in a different app / program?
Ray552

Post by Ray552 »

^ Thanks, it was caused by my computer needing a restart for recent Windows updates - everything works fine now.

"Microsoft: Failure is not an option; it's a feature." j/k :)
CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

I was thinking about adding a table to my POA sheet to illustrate shooting POA's. I noticed the charts in the rulebooks between Ancients and Medieval are different. I assume the underlying game engine is the same between FoG and FoG:M, but I wanted to confirm this.

Let's take as an example Bow firing at foot.

In FoG we have ->
Bow vs. Foot = -50
13.7 Armor - "The effects of armor are on a sliding scale..."

In Fog:M we have ->
Bow vs. Unprotected Foot = 0
Bow vs. Protected Foot = -75
Bow vs. Armoured Foot = -150
Bow vs. Heavily Armoured Foot = -225

So, the charts would make it seem that in FoG, there is always a -50 penalty shooting at foot and it gets worse from there depending upon the target's armor. Yet in FoG:M there is no penalty (POA starts at 0 for unprotected) and then gets worse from there. In short, it seems like these numbers don't align which make me wonder if a chart is wrong or if the underlying shooting engine is different. Can anyone chime in with any details or insights?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

CaptainPunka wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 pm I was thinking about adding a table to my POA sheet to illustrate shooting POA's. I noticed the charts in the rulebooks between Ancients and Medieval are different. I assume the underlying game engine is the same between FoG and FoG:M, but I wanted to confirm this.

Let's take as an example Bow firing at foot.

In FoG we have ->
Bow vs. Foot = -50
13.7 Armor - "The effects of armor are on a sliding scale..."

In Fog:M we have ->
Bow vs. Unprotected Foot = 0
Bow vs. Protected Foot = -75
Bow vs. Armoured Foot = -150
Bow vs. Heavily Armoured Foot = -225

So, the charts would make it seem that in FoG, there is always a -50 penalty shooting at foot and it gets worse from there depending upon the target's armor. Yet in FoG:M there is no penalty (POA starts at 0 for unprotected) and then gets worse from there. In short, it seems like these numbers don't align which make me wonder if a chart is wrong or if the underlying shooting engine is different. Can anyone chime in with any details or insights?
The shooting engine is the same. Use the Medieval chart, it is more up to date.
Richard Bodley Scott

CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

Awesome! Thanks so much for the clarification!!
CaptainPunka
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CaptainPunka »

I've added a tab with all of the Shooting POA's in my spreadsheet. I'm presenting the data a little differently. The way I'm presenting you can scan across a row to see the effectiveness of a given shooting capability against any type of target, or you can scan down a column to see what your troops are especially vulnerable to.
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

CaptainPunka wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm I've added a tab with all of the Shooting POA's in my spreadsheet. I'm presenting the data a little differently. The way I'm presenting you can scan across a row to see the effectiveness of a given shooting capability against any type of target, or you can scan down a column to see what your troops are especially vulnerable to.
Hey Captain, great job, thanks
rjorge
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by rjorge »

CaptainPunka wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm As requested I have created an updated POA chart which includes any POA adjustments I could find in the patch notes.

I have tried to carefully word the chart to avoid potential confusion. I have also merged Ancients and Medieval into one chart as it seems they are easily compatible and I don't want to maintain separate charts. If in the future they diverge at all, I will denote these divergences in the sheet.

If anyone sees any corrections needed, please let me know by replying to this thread.

Regards
What an amazing resource you have here :D
MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MarkShot »

Regards
Fantastic resource. Thank you!

@Richard, maybe you should clean up stickies. My suggestion: Put Mike's, Chris's, and this all in the same entry.
Temple
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Temple »

Regards
I just wanted to throw in my two cents and add my appreciation for your work :D. I don't play too often anymore so I've printed out the Beginner's Guide to use as a quick reminder.

Return to “Field of Glory II”