Field of Glory II: “Rome against the World” - Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Mantuvec
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory II: “Rome against the World” - Tournament

Post by Mantuvec »

We are pleased to announce another Field of Glory 2 public tournament: “Rome against the World” 

This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system and anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter. 

To enter, go to the tournament page here: Tournaments
General tournament rules can be found here: Rules

The first round will commence on Monday 26th April 2021 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun. 

This tournament will involve five rounds. Each round will last 14 days. The battles will be Medium-sized custom battles:  

- Africa 202 BC: Roman 219-200 BC vs Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural.   
- Asia Minor 89 BC: Roman 105-25 BC with Bithynian 297-74 BC allies vs Pontic 110-85 BC with Armenian 331 BC – 252 AD allies. Mediterranean Hilly.  
- Dacia 105 AD: Roman 24 BC – 196 AD vs Dacian 89-106 AD with Sarmatian 25-375 AD allies. Northern Europe Wooded.  
- Mesopotamia 363 AD: Roman 313-378 AD vs Sassanid Persian 350-476 AD. Middle-Eastern Agricultural. 
- Gaul 451 AD: Roman 425-492 AD with Alan 25-650 AD allies vs Hunnic (Western) 376-454 AD with Germanic Foot Tribes 260-599 AD allies. Northern Europe Agricultural.

Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games. 

First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round. 

The scoring system is as follows
If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below. 
If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed. 

Examples 

1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.  

2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.  

3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below). 

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost. 

Byes 
If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game. 

Round times and timing out: 
Each round will last 14 days. 
Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 18 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament. 
grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Field of Glory II: “Rome against the World” - Tournament

Post by grahamed »

Hi Mantuvec Should "Africa 202 BC: Roman 209-200 BC vs Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural." actually be .."Roman 219-200 BC".. as I cant find a 209 - 200 option in my game?

minor typo perhaps?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 am Hi Mantuvec Should "Africa 202 BC: Roman 209-200 BC vs Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC. Mediterranean Agricultural." actually be .."Roman 219-200 BC".. as I cant find a 209 - 200 option in my game?

minor typo perhaps?
Yes. My mistake, not Mantuvec's.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Hi Richard, Surely it was noones mistake, just an observation test for the player base?
:D
JonJonJon
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by JonJonJon »

Glad to see the change to 18 turns from 24.
Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Holien »

Hi I joined the tournament not expecting to have to have any of the add on modules, just trying to get to grips with round 3 forces as I a new player, seems like round 3 needs Legions Triumphant?

- Dacia 105 AD: Roman 24 BC – 196 AD vs Dacian 89-106 AD with Sarmatian 25-375 AD allies. Northern Europe Wooded

Is that right?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Holien wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:23 pm Hi I joined the tournament not expecting to have to have any of the add on modules, just trying to get to grips with round 3 forces as I a new player, seems like round 3 needs Legions Triumphant?

- Dacia 105 AD: Roman 24 BC – 196 AD vs Dacian 89-106 AD with Sarmatian 25-375 AD allies. Northern Europe Wooded

Is that right?
You don't need to own any of the DLC modules to play in the official Slitherine tournaments.

You don't need to own any DLC modules to accept normal MP Custom Battle challenges either, the restriction is only on creating the challenge in the first place.
Richard Bodley Scott

Holien

Post by Holien »

OK, but if I want to play test the forces am I right that I will need that DLC?

That or I need someone to set up that game with their DLC?

BTW very nice that the game allows that, thanks.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Holien wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:53 pm OK, but if I want to play test the forces am I right that I will need that DLC?

That or I need someone to set up that game with their DLC?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

My PC is just about to be collected for a warranty repair. I will be without a maxhine that will allow me to play in the next round of the tournament. I won't have any way of telling my opponent that. What is the etiquette?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

julianbarker wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:24 am My PC is just about to be collected for a warranty repair. I will be without a maxhine that will allow me to play in the next round of the tournament. I won't have any way of telling my opponent that. What is the etiquette?
As it is all automated, there isn't much that can be done. He will get the BYE score.

However, if you have any access to the internet you could send him a PM once you know who your opponent is.
Richard Bodley Scott

julianbarker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by julianbarker »

Thanks. Guessed that was the case. Will definitely PM.
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Ray552 »

The Gaul 451 AD battle entry above should read "Hunnic (Western) 376-454 AD" per the army list selector.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ray552 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:14 pm The Gaul 451 AD battle entry above should read "Hunnic (Western) 376-454 AD" per the army list selector.
Thanks. Edited accordingly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

I am formally requesting an appeal of the point allocation for my round three matches with bomber23. I don't know why, but the game message strongly implied that - I - was the one who was not taking my turns rapidly enough, and that is fundamentally inaccurate.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Geffalrus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:24 am I am formally requesting an appeal of the point allocation for my round three matches with bomber23. I don't know why, but the game message strongly implied that - I - was the one who was not taking my turns rapidly enough, and that is fundamentally inaccurate.
The way the system works, the tournament server simply counts up the total time the game spent in each player's in-tray during the round. If the game times out, the player who had the game in his in-tray for the longer total time during the round gets marked as timed out, and, if there have been less than 18 turns played each during the round, the scores are adjusted accordingly.
Richard Bodley Scott

Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

The system recorded things incorrectly, and my only regret is that I did not obsessively record every turn interval so as to have detailed evidence of what actually happened. I will no longer be participating in this competition, and will avoid all future tournaments hosted by Slitherine.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
bomber23
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bomber23 »

I will add my two cents to the thread, the time count system works, it a bit hard to take seriously when i waited 4 days to get his initial setup and i lodged my initial setup within an hour of the tournament starting, afterwards i had a three day and two day wait for turns 2 and 3.
Holien

Post by Holien »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 pm
Geffalrus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:24 am I am formally requesting an appeal of the point allocation for my round three matches with bomber23. I don't know why, but the game message strongly implied that - I - was the one who was not taking my turns rapidly enough, and that is fundamentally inaccurate.
The way the system works, the tournament server simply counts up the total time the game spent in each player's in-tray during the round. If the game times out, the player who had the game in his in-tray for the longer total time during the round gets marked as timed out, and, if there have been less than 18 turns played each during the round, the scores are adjusted accordingly.
Using the clock is a great idea but perhaps it could be a bit more transparent to players by clearly showing on screen the times left to both player? This would then help players check what time they have left to do turns? Perhaps been suggested already but transparency can avoid situations like above? Of course it could be there already but to my eyes I can see now easy way of knowing what my time limit is vs the oppo...
Holien

Post by Holien »

Geffalrus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 pm The system recorded things incorrectly, and my only regret is that I did not obsessively record every turn interval so as to have detailed evidence of what actually happened. I will no longer be participating in this competition, and will avoid all future tournaments hosted by Slitherine.
A pity that your opponent in the next round will miss out on a game, I hope you might reconsider and have fun vs your next opponent so they can play a game.

I had no games the first two because of drop outs and it really takes the shine off things.

So I can understand your anger but I hope once it has subsided you might reconsider just for the sake of your opponent who is not at fault with this and perhaps just wants a bit of human interaction rather than vs the AI?

Return to “Field of Glory II”