Both armies reach or go over 60% on the same turn?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Ray552
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Both armies reach or go over 60% on the same turn?

Post by Ray552 »

I couldn't find anything in the game manual, and my searches both here and on Google did not show the information I wanted.

-----

My opponent and I both reached or went over the 60% rout limit on the same turn.

Me (Thracian - Roman client + Roman ally) = 63%
Him (Sassanid Persian 591-628 AD) = 60%

The end of battle screens:

Note the "Total Lost" percentages are similar in the last screen; usually the losing side has a much higher percentage.

Was this a tie, or did I lose? Would my opponent have seen the same first two screens?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Both armies reach or go over 60% on the same turn?

Post by rbodleyscott »

You lost, because your rout % was higher. Hence the enemy was left holding the field of battle. He would have got a different message saying that he had the honour of holding the field of battle.

What would happen if you both had 63% routing?: Because the game engine does not recognise the existence of draws, the scripts do have to assign a winner in the event of a tie. If the % losses are both 60% or higher and equal, side B wins.

Obviously that isn't very fair, but it doesn't happen very often. In a game using the automated Slitherine tournament system, the two players' scores would be close to identical anyway.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ray552

Post by Ray552 »

Many thanks!
Ray552

Post by Ray552 »

Sorry to bring this thread back, I just experienced a different variation of the above situation:

I was side A (Sassanid Persian) and my opponent was side B (Roman). This was a game which was half of a mirror match.

Time ran out after 24 turns, with a tied score of 57-57.

I received the "Your opponent has avoided utter defeat, but you have the honour of holding the field of battle" screen, while he apparently received the "We cannot conceal that this was a defeat" message.

I guess the "side B wins" rule doesn't apply in this case? Or was I actually side B because this was the second half of the mirror match, even though my army was listed above the Romans in the upper left corner?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I guess so. By the way, your army is always the top one, whether it is side A or side B, the position swaps for each player’s turn. If this match was set up to replicate the set up for the next round of the tournament, then the Romans are side A in both games of the mirror match.
Richard Bodley Scott

Ray552

Post by Ray552 »

Thanks again!

Yes, this was a practice match for the next round of the "Rome Against the World" tournament.
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Fun Fact: This type of result (with both armies over 60%) is also possible in Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai. It also surprised me the first time I saw it.

At the end of the day the one army still holds the field but you can feel good that both you and your opponent (or the AI) have beaten each other into a bloody mess with this sort of result. :mrgreen:
Image Image

Return to “Field of Glory II”