Deployment Irregularity

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Deployment Irregularity

Post by Cunningcairn »

My skirmishers and non-skirmishers have the same deployment area. See pictures below. My understanding is that this should not happen. Am I missing something?
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 747 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Deployment Irregularity

Post by rbodleyscott »

The usual reason for this is that at least one of the heavy units has autodeployed forward of the normal deployment zone because it has randomly been deployed up to 2 squares away from its originally appointed position to avoid being deployed in Difficult Going. The code then calculates the forward edge of the non-light deployment area from the currently deployed units.

So the light troops will have their normal deployment area, but the non-light can deploy further forward than usual. Count the squares.
Richard Bodley Scott

Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

It happens sometimes and is surprising the first time :-)
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:42 am The usual reason for this is that at least one of the heavy units has autodeployed forward of the normal deployment zone because it has randomly been deployed up to 2 squares away from its originally appointed position to avoid being deployed in Difficult Going. The code then calculates the forward edge of the non-light deployment area from the currently deployed units.

So the light troops will have their normal deployment area, but the non-light can deploy further forward than usual. Count the squares.
Thanks Richard! I quite like the fact that somethings are not as one would expect but what is annoying is when one does not know that it is the case. If the rules could say typically this (whatever it might be) should happen but it isn't always the case it would be better than being under the impression that for example an average unit will always break at below 50% losses. A variance to the expected is realistic and understandable in real life but not in a gaming world that is governed by rules that give a result calculated by formula.

Return to “Field of Glory II”