Please add some sort of replay feature

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
fuser312
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Please add some sort of replay feature

Post by fuser312 »

I love this game, I love the first Field of Glory, I had so many epic battles but sadly I can't go back and look at them one more time. I desperately miss replay feature, :cry:
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Please add some sort of replay feature

Post by BMAXIMUS »

So do I. There is a way to take snapshot (using F2). It could be vastly improve if we could set an auto snapshot (which take a snapshot at the beginning and the end of each turn) or/and a way to save/recall camera position.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

BMAXIMUS wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:10 pm ... a way to save/recall camera position...
Would like that too. Then the same angle, rotation, and zoom could be ensured in all screenshots.

Plus that I'd stil like a reply feature too of course.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:47 pm Then the same angle, rotation, and zoom could be ensured in all screenshots.
Exactly, so you can do mini-movies :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

A full replay feature is on our list (and under active development) but there are a lot of moving pieces. Thanks for the autosnapshot suggestion, I will add it to the list.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm A full replay feature is on our list (and under active development) but there are a lot of moving pieces. Thanks for the autosnapshot suggestion, I will add it to the list.

Cheers

Pip
That's good news, thanks! (Would really just it to be made sure that snapshot can be taken at an angle, zoom, and rotation preset and saved by each individual player in-game. Not just some standard fixed settings.)

SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

I think I have given up on replays.. or at least in my mind. I doubt we will see this kind of function in the next 6 months, for example. With all the work that needs to be done it won't just appear any time soon. We live in hope, though.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm
pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm A full replay feature is on our list (and under active development) but there are a lot of moving pieces. Thanks for the autosnapshot suggestion, I will add it to the list.

Cheers

Pip
That's good news, thanks! (Would really just it to be made sure that snapshot can be taken at an angle, zoom, and rotation preset and saved by each individual player in-game. Not just some standard fixed settings.)
If you guys can give details in the functionality you would like from a screenshot-based replay helper system then that would be very useful. The system I am currently working on (out of band) is to actually replay the battle in the game itself from (fairly large) replay files.

Cheers

Pip
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm

Cheers

Pip
If you guys can give details in the functionality you would like from a screenshot-based replay helper system then that would be very useful. The system I am currently working on (out of band) is to actually replay the battle in the game itself from (fairly large) replay files.

Cheers

Pip
Of course, pip: thanks for considering it. :)

User interface could simply involve the ability to toggle auto-screenshots for an individual game to ON (default would always be OFF) and at that time fixing/crystalling the angle, rotation, and zoom value (x,y,z,alpha). While it's toggled ON, the x,y,z,alpha settings therein are fixed and cannot be changed (in order to not lose them).

1. Key #1 here is to get ALL individual screenshots with the SAME angle, rotation, AND zoom, i.e., at pre-defined settings (x,y,z,alpha).
2. Key #2 would be (if feature is toggled ON) to automatically make one screenshot (with the settings in 1 above) at the end of the opponent's turn replay (i.e., immediately before the player can make his moves) AND then another automatic screenshot at the time that player submits his turn.
3. Key #3 is to save these automatic screenshots either with a specific name or in a specific subfolder within SCREENSHOTS in order to easily locate and recognise them.

If limited resources to develop this, 1 above would be good enough in my view and what I've desired for a long time, i.e., a way to save values for screenshot settings in game (ideally a number of placeholders, say 5, where the camera is first set as desired (corresponding to x,y,z,alpha) and then saved as say screenshot setting #3 that later through a hotkey can be activated and the camera then changed to those values).
Last edited by kronenblatt on Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:23 pm The system I am currently working on (out of band) is to actually replay the battle in the game itself from (fairly large) replay files.
This is certainly what I would want to see. It would be a great tool for sharing games, commentating with both players, and yes setting up nice screenshots. I have fond memories of watching many such replays back in my Age of Empires II days...
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

Cheers

Pip

Cheers

Pip
Good job. Thanks for the effort.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

Cheers

Pip
The bare minimum would be to take a snapshot at the beginning and end of each player turn taken from the "overview" position (when you press the X key). This might not be the best camera angle but at least it covers the whole board. Having all the snapshots in a separate folders with the turn-number in the name would be probably the best.
A toggle in the settings will just activate/deactivate it. Everything is already there , it's basically just pressing X and F2 and the beginning/end of each turn will be super useful.

It could be enhanced with the ability to save/restore camera. The easiest would be something like pressing shift-n, (n being a number) to save a camera (angle, position, zoom) and n to restore it.
The auto-snapshot settings could be instead of a simple toggle, a camera to chose from. (or even a set of cameras to take multiple snapshots at each stage). But all of that is only bells and whistles and I would much prefer to have X+F2 tomorrow than a more complex system in 6 months. Of course a full blown replay feature one day will be amazing.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

The camera position derived from pressing X is far too zoomed out for my taste. Plus that the X+F2 is already attainable albeit manually (so can already be done with an effort), whereas it's more or less impossible to manually obtain exactly the same camera position twice. Thus, my wish for a feature to store camera positions to ensure making screenshots from identical and tailor-made camera positions (ideally also with transparency in values for x,y,z,alpha).

I agree of course that a full blown replay feature one day would be amazing. :)

BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 pm The camera position derived from pressing X is far too zoomed out for my taste. Plus that the X+F2 is already attainable albeit manually
I agree with that, however I tried a few time the X+F2 method and actually never managed to not forget it at some points. thus the autosnapshot request. In theory it could be done manually, in practice it is a bit harder.
The X view is indeed a bit small, but still better than nothing (which is what we have at the moment and probably for a while)
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

BMAXIMUS wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:35 pm The camera position derived from pressing X is far too zoomed out for my taste. Plus that the X+F2 is already attainable albeit manually
I agree with that, however I tried a few time the X+F2 method and actually never managed to not forget it at some points. thus the autosnapshot request. In theory it could be done manually, in practice it is a bit harder.
The X view is indeed a bit small, but still better than nothing (which is what we have at the moment and probably for a while)
True, the auto snapshot functionality is in itself quite useful, since I've forgotten too sometimes to manually snapshot and then the opportunity is lost.

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks guys, that is very useful.

Cheers

Pip
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:50 pm Thanks guys, that is very useful.

Cheers

Pip
Thanks, Pip! Hope you guys can make something out of it. :)

Return to “Field of Glory II”