FOG2 Developer’s Diary – Innovations and Differences

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: FOG2 Developer’s Diary – Innovations and Differences

Post by stockwellpete »

nox16555 wrote:Sounds kind of cool, but also I think I would rage if something like that happened.
Yes, it did have that effect on many of us, especially when your mounted knights charged through another friendly unit to get to the enemy, causing them to lose a cohesion level in the process. It was quite a realistic rule though and it meant you had to take care over the timing of your cavalry charges and how you deployed your other shock troops.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Daniele wrote:New Random Generated Maps!
Terrain maps for non-preset scenarios are freshly generated using a sophisticated random map generator – not picked from a library of preset maps. Every map is therefore unique. The map generator can generate realistic maps for all the usual territory types – including agricultural, wooded, hilly, mountains, steppes and desert in Mediterranean, North European, Middle Eastern and Tropical regions.
The battle is fought on a square grid rather than a hexagonal grid. This allows realistic looking battle lines, and 8 directions of movement instead of 6. The computer takes care of the issue of diagonal moves being further than orthogonal ones.
The maps I have played on so far have been excellent and definitely a grade above the maps provided in FOG1. Gone are the days when your heavy infantry army is faced with a map full of rough ground or your medium foot army is confronted with a featureless plain. The new maps are "neutral" in the sense that they generally do not favour either side and they have a lot more detail in them which a good player will be able to exploit.
Mathematical Algorithms
Unlike FOG1, FOG2 does not attempt to replicate the tabletop game’s dice, but uses mathemaMatical algorithms that avoid some of the extreme against-the-odds combat results that could occur in FOG1[/b]
I think this was the biggest problem in FOG1 and it has just gone in FOG2. Every now and then you will get a result that goes against the norm and gives you a problem as a general, but that is realistic. After all, this is not a game of chess.

As someone who played FOG1 a lot, designed scenarios and help run the competitions, I can only say that I am expecting this new version of FOG to be a great success.
XOPT13
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by XOPT13 »

Rom1944 wrote: In field of glory 1 some had to past an anarchy test to not charge the enemy without orders this was frustrating sometimes because calvary sometimes charged pikes uphill resulting in a disaster.
But it is historically accurate.
antipasta
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by antipasta »

Looks great so far but it is the command control system that I am really interested in ...
1) in FoG 1 the AI seems to randomly move individual units in different directions even though they are in the same group, command, warband etc. Be nice to see them move together as one at least until first contact made.
2) Do you remember the restriction on ordering units in Legion Arena? I loved the idea of forming an overall battle plan but then only being limited (depending on the skill/stats of your commander) to the number of orders you could subsequently give during the battle. Be good to only be able to giver orders to one of two groups each turn rather than every single unit. And perhaps there is a delay depending on the distance the group and the commander are from each other. If you have sent your left wing cavalry on a wide sweeping manoeuvre and things are going badly - tough - unless your commander is with them. Of course things might now be going badly on your right flank but you will no longer be unable to micro-manage.
Looking forward to this one from the developer notes I have read so far!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

antipasta wrote:Looks great so far but it is the command control system that I am really interested in ...
1) in FoG 1 the AI seems to randomly move individual units in different directions even though they are in the same group, command, warband etc. Be nice to see them move together as one at least until first contact made.
They do do so until within 5 squares of the enemy.
2) Do you remember the restriction on ordering units in Legion Arena? I loved the idea of forming an overall battle plan but then only being limited (depending on the skill/stats of your commander) to the number of orders you could subsequently give during the battle. Be good to only be able to giver orders to one of two groups each turn rather than every single unit. And perhaps there is a delay depending on the distance the group and the commander are from each other. If you have sent your left wing cavalry on a wide sweeping manoeuvre and things are going badly - tough - unless your commander is with them. Of course things might now be going badly on your right flank but you will no longer be unable to micro-manage.
We decided not to restrict player control in this way. Control does diminish and the game proceeds and units get locked in melee, involved in cavalry pursuits etc.
Richard Bodley Scott

nox16555
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by nox16555 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
antipasta wrote:Looks great so far but it is the command control system that I am really interested in ...
They do do so until within 5 squares of the enemy.
We decided not to restrict player control in this way. Control does diminish and the game proceeds and units get locked in melee, involved in cavalry pursuits etc.
I saw one of the unit cards says "unmaneuverable" and from what it looks like It can only move forward. Is that correct? are there units that can only move forward?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

nox16555 wrote:I saw one of the unit cards says "unmaneuverable" and from what it looks like It can only move forward. Is that correct? are there units that can only move forward?
No. Most units get a free 45 degree turn, unmanoeuvrable units don't, they pay 4 AP for a 45 degree turn. This makes them less manoeuvrable.
Richard Bodley Scott

MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by MojoAmok »

This is looking great - an instant purchase and one of my most anticipated titles as of now (this and Battletech from Harebrained Schemes).
nox16555

Post by nox16555 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
nox16555 wrote:I saw one of the unit cards says "unmaneuverable" and from what it looks like It can only move forward. Is that correct? are there units that can only move forward?
No. Most units get a free 45 degree turn, unmanoeuvrable units don't, they pay 4 AP for a 45 degree turn. This makes them less manoeuvrable.
that makes sense. :)
LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM »

pomakli wrote:The innovations are fine, but
"Anarchy charges (which players either loved or hated) no longer occur in FOG2."!!??

Some players (who hates anarchy charges) shouldn't play ancient games...

Thanks for the rest...The game is getting better and better.
You're right...
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Daniele wrote: However, in addition, FOG2 will implement Slitherine’s automated tournament system.
Will you be wanting to test this automated tournament system as part of the beta process at some stage?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

stockwellpete wrote:
Daniele wrote: However, in addition, FOG2 will implement Slitherine’s automated tournament system.
Will you be wanting to test this automated tournament system as part of the beta process at some stage?
Yes, once we have it working.
Richard Bodley Scott

Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

The description of the game gives the idea of a phantastic game!
I'll buy it the day of its reease.
So just a couple of questions.

Will it be possible to launch MP challenges with a pre-arranged army for the opponent to take?
In the futures are going to be expansions about other time period like, for example, the Late Bronze Age? (I still miss the chariot armies of StE book ...)
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lysimachos wrote:Will it be possible to launch MP challenges with a pre-arranged army for the opponent to take?
Pre-arranged army list (e.g. Romans 220-200 BC vs Carthaginians 218-217 BC), not prearranged OOB.
In the futures are going to be expansions about other time period like, for example, the Late Bronze Age? (I still miss the chariot armies of StE book ...)
That would be telling.
Richard Bodley Scott

nox16555

Post by nox16555 »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Lysimachos wrote:Will it be possible to launch MP challenges with a pre-arranged army for the opponent to take?
Pre-arranged army list (e.g. Romans 220-200 BC vs Carthaginians 218-217 BC), not prearranged OOB.
That would be telling.
I am just happy to see some romen civil war.
mceochaidh
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by mceochaidh »

The "Random Map Generator" seems very flexible. A few questions.
1) What is the max map size?
2) For particular army sizes, will an appropriate size map be generated?
3) Can a larger map be chosen if one would want more manuever before battle? Say, use a map normally generated for 1500 points and actually using 1000 points. This creates some additional uncertainty in certain scenarios.
4) Being a computer game has many advantages over miniature games, especially (pardon the pun) Fog of War. I assume that deployment will allow ambushes to be placed and visibility will be based on line of sight?

Ready to saddle up!

Mac
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

mceochaidh wrote:The "Random Map Generator" seems very flexible. A few questions.
1) What is the max map size?
64 x 64 squares
2) For particular army sizes, will an appropriate size map be generated?
Yes, unless you over-ride the default settings.
3) Can a larger map be chosen if one would want more manuever before battle? Say, use a map normally generated for 1500 points and actually using 1000 points. This creates some additional uncertainty in certain scenarios.
Yes
4) Being a computer game has many advantages over miniature games, especially (pardon the pun) Fog of War. I assume that deployment will allow ambushes to be placed and visibility will be based on line of sight?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

The anarchy charges where Roman units would suddenly leave ranks to attack were terribly innacurate but were VERY accurate for the "barbarian" hordes. The Roman cavalry probably suffered from this but definitely not the Roman legionary infantry. Also: pulling the medium cavalry of the mounted bow armies out of the line was a pain. A lot of times they would charge Knights instead. So yes, like many I have mixed feelings on this but I can live without the anarchy charges.

What I would like to know is about the Pursuit. Is it just like Pike and Shot where the unit pursuing suddenly leaves its "prey" and thunders into the flank of another unit? If so that needs to change. The pursuing unit should continue following the unit it is pursuing and not become some "Angel of Destruction" force like it currently does in P&S.

Pursuing off the map is a must for these ancient games and of course the ability to come back again is important too.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the beta and trying it out :)
yakisoba
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by yakisoba »

So excited about this new version!

I have a question about the archers... Will it be possible to use indirect archery over the heads of infantry? So that a line of infantry can screen the archers? Or was that not a tactic that was in use in those times?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

yakisoba wrote:So excited about this new version!

I have a question about the archers... Will it be possible to use indirect archery over the heads of infantry? So that a line of infantry can screen the archers? Or was that not a tactic that was in use in those times?
It wasn't used to any great extent. The Romans sometimes put a couple of ranks of light archers behind the legions, but that would not be enough to lay down a significant fire, so we assume they were there to help take the edge off a cavalry charge - e.g. Arrian's order of battle against the Alans.

Large bodies of archers simply could not fire effectively over other troops.

However, light archers are allowed to pass through heavy foot units, so they have a good chance of escaping enemy charges.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”