Well up to my expectations

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
RodyMetal
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Well up to my expectations

Post by RodyMetal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Congratulation guys, really amazing game, and for me its the Strategy GOTY, we need a DLC for Christmas (Medieval one, wink wink)

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 am

This fantastic Field of Glory II game has added a lot to the earlier games using this game system like Tin Soldiers, Sengoku Jidai etc. I wonder if this will be the most advanced version of this gameplay style? It maybe hard to improve it further.
The best things I like are the unit graphics and huge range of armies and units with complex math crunching to make the combat realistic.

The much earlier Tin Soldiers games like Caesar and Alexander the Great using boardgame miniatures had a couple of neat things like cards you could play on units in game which maybe people think is more of a boardgame feature than pure historical so they didn't include it in FOG, and the group leaders got promoted between battles and earned personal bonuses if they survived. The units were really expensive to repair though so it was hard to buy new units between battles. I don't know if it is the same people that made the Tin Soldiers and FOG games.

eddieballgame
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by eddieballgame » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:21 am

This is going to be a classic. Just finished a "hotseat" game with a friend of mine. ( we both have this program & have talked another friend into getting it ) It was pure fun...I lost, but I had fun doing so. :)

Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:38 am

rexhurley wrote:Beyond mine thank you RBS and all those behind the scenes who have made this possible.

Now hmm tutorial first or straight into multiplayer v god himself and learn by being thrashed by RBS oh the choices.... :shock: :lol:
Fight him with Numidian skirmishers. That's his weakness.

Igorputski

Post by Igorputski » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:44 am

grumblefish wrote:Also, for anyone wondering, FOG II is an awesome game. I played a couple of battles and am having a blast.

I only have the following few wishes:

Allow the player to zoom in closer
Go to your steam\steamapps\common\Field of GloryII\Data\ and open MAPVIEW.TXT

(change to the following numbers) save before making changes though.

PITCH 45
PITCHLIMIT 35 // 25
ZOOM 400
ZOOMLIMIT 1200 // 200
ZOOMINLIMIT 100 // 10
ROTATE 30
FOV 30

Enjoy the zoomin you wanted.

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:16 pm

grumblefish wrote: Allow the player to zoom in closer
Give a gamma option
Make the combat log more like the original
You can mod it quite easily to zoom as close as you want ..
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 77&t=79642

The gamma option is something that was discussed but was never high on the list compared to everything else and is just one of those things that gets bumped further down by higher prorities.

What was it about the original FoG1 combat log you preferred?

Pat a Pixel Pusher

direhobbit
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by direhobbit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Good Day All,
I will continue the chorus of raves for this game. The turn based timing and wide variety of units allows for a great deal of battlefield tactics and strategies. You even have time to respond to enemy moves before half your army is destroyed (which happened to me me quite frequently in RTS games.)
My wishlist? Can there be an objectives mechanic on the battlefield? Something like bonus army purchase points for securing key hexes (or lowering garrison requirements between campaign battles.) Currently victory is based on casualties and I am wondering how a VP hex system would affect battlefield decisions.
Just a thought, this is a great game.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:38 pm

direhobbit wrote:My wishlist? Can there be an objectives mechanic on the battlefield? Something like bonus army purchase points for securing key hexes (or lowering garrison requirements between campaign battles.) Currently victory is based on casualties and I am wondering how a VP hex system would affect battlefield decisions.
No doubt quite a lot, but it would not be historically realistic. Ancient warfare did not work like modern warfare. Once the armies were engaged in battle, the objective was to put the enemy to flight, not gain hill A or whatever.
Richard Bodley Scott

SilentHunter

Post by SilentHunter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 am

I did not like the game the first couple times I played, but the more I play the more I enjoy it and agree now exceeds what I was expected for just the combat side. Still playing the tutorial scenarios and finding it a good fun challenge, only about 3 hours in but replaying them multiple times to learn the rules and what works and what does not. I'm hopeful that each faction play differently and finding one combination in the tutorials that works well won't be a game breaker against the AI is every game.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:10 am

SilentHunter wrote:I'm hopeful that each faction play differently and finding one combination in the tutorials that works well won't be a game breaker against the AI is every game.
You should really try multiplayer with FoG2, even if you generally don't like multiplayer.

I haven't played multiplayer in FOG2 yet, but FOG1 was the only game for which I've really enjoyed multiplayer. The PBEM++ system is great and there is a large and active community of adult opponents, so it is quite fun.

devoncop
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by devoncop » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 am

76mm...

You are 100% correct on that. Multiplayer is something I usually avoid like the plague (especially when the AI is as good as FOG2) but since day 1 I have had about six MP games running. Without exception my opponents have been courteous ...often funny...and challenging to play in different ways.
Give MP a go people....you won't regret it...

I now need to get back to learning the nuances of all the Armies for the upcoming Tournament ....

GiveWarAchance

Post by GiveWarAchance » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 am

I should probably learn not to get overrun bigstyle by the AI before facing the greater beast of a human player that probably has all the game mechanics memorized.
The AI is ruthless at surrounding and destroying units if any of my units is not slotted into a solid line. It's like the AI was scripted by Rommel. I have a story with pictures to make an AAR if they make an AAR section so I can show how the AI surrounded and smashed my army.
Last edited by GiveWarAchance on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adraeth

Post by Adraeth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 am

Slitherine/Matrix (with former FOG1 and P&S and SJ,and now with FOG2) did the "miracle" to take the real wargaming tables with figurines and put them inside the pc, in the former games figurines were static and the feeling was excellent; but now in FOG2 soldiers, horses ... they move, it is a dream come true for every tabletop wargame boy/teen/over...ehm...experienced like me :D

Return to “Field of Glory II”