AI can be slow to engage

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

AI can be slow to engage

Post by the_iron_duke »

While the AI seems to be pretty good, from what I've seen so far, in my last couple of "Create a Battle" games the AI army has been slow to engage, allowing me to secure hills before they get going. In my current game, it's Turn 7 and the only units the AI has moved since the start are a few skirmishers.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: AI can be slow to engage

Post by zakblood »

turn up the difficulty and see if that makes any difference for you
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

wait, didnt somebody from your team said that difficulty only changes amount of points AI has for buys? that AI agressivity is same no matter what?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i'm not on a team, i was just comment to say try a different level of difficulty and see if that makes it any harder for you
team said that difficulty only changes amount of points AI has for buys? that AI agressivity is same no matter what?
if the developer has said that, than he is correct and i'm wrong, i said try
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

I'm playing on Emperor, the second-highest difficulty level.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

then your a much better player than i am then, i stand corrected :oops:
Cumandante
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Cumandante »

Indeed, the AI seems to take some turns before they get moving. This could be a viable strategy if it were playing defensively, but if it just ends up advancing later, it only serves to lose the opportunity to secure favorable terrain.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Sounds like Iron Duke is the man to beat in the Tournament ☺
(Let's hope you entered!)
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

zakblood_slith wrote:then your a much better player than i am then, i stand corrected :oops:
I won on the previous levels, but the AI beat me yesterday on Emperor, which is nice. There's plenty more room to make it harder than Deity too by manually adjusting the points allowances.
GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by GiveWarAchance »

The AI charged me immediately from turn 1 on my last battle. Needless to say, my army fell apart quickly under the ferocious assault.
stefankollers
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by stefankollers »

I know in Pike and Shot "Which is very similar" The Ai usually attacks if it has overwhelming numbers, almost straight away. If the sides are more evenly matched it will "hold off for a few turns". It can turn into a staring contest. I move forward, it seems to know I have made a mistake and moves forward. As many have found it's best to send a cheap unit forward. This triggers the AI into action.
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

I've played about half a dozen battles now, and it's only in the last couple I think that the AI has delayed, the last game by a couple of turns and my current game by about seven or eight turns. Both times the delay meant I could secure a hill, and as Cumandante mentioned, they then subsequently attacked anyway, and therefore lost some initiative.
Dominus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Dominus »

In sengoku the A.I wouln't even move on the skirmish matches until your forces were right on them. Perhaps it is the "horizon effect" where the A.I is unable to make a plan until the enemy is close. Perhaps this game uses the same A.I?
blond_knight_new
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by blond_knight_new »

Dominus wrote:In sengoku the A.I wouln't even move on the skirmish matches until your forces were right on them. Perhaps it is the "horizon effect" where the A.I is unable to make a plan until the enemy is close. Perhaps this game uses the same A.I?
Its not the same engine (STUB), its the new one that came out with Sanctus Reach(Archon). To us users it seems very similar.

But to your point about the horizon, I saw that in the FOG2 beta and thought the same thing. Like maybe by default their detection range isnt more than a few squares.
the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by the_iron_duke »

A detection horizon wouldn't explain why the majority of the time the AI appear to move their forces from the first turn, when distances are the same. Perhaps there are different AI personalities and one's set to have a bit too slow an approach.
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

I think that it is a random determination and not a "detection horizon". You are over thinking it. The AI advances sometime in turn 1 to turn 5. Unpredictability is a good thing.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast

Return to “Field of Glory II”