Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:19 am

The advantage of more rounds is that the Swiss Chess system works better, so that (at least in theory) you get a "perfect champion".

Not everybody (apart, I guess, from the "perfect champion") care about this. The advantage of the Swiss Chess system not producing a perfect champion is that more people are in with a chance of placing!

"Submarining" (where the people at the top of the draw fight each other to a standstill in the last round and someone else from lower down the chart overtakes their scores) is in the long and honourable tradition of tabletop tournament gaming, and I owe my few tournament wins to it!

Also, as igorputski says, many people would prefer the tournament not to have too many rounds.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 301
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by Geordietaf » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:25 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Geordietaf wrote:Not getting email notification that opponent has completed his turn.
But are the turns appearing in your "My Turn" tab in game? Note that they normally appear there much sooner than the emails are sent out.[/quote]

I tend to check in following receipt of emails, which never arrived for the set of turns in question. I wondered at the radio silence from my opponent and checked in to find they did appear in the My Turn tab. Emails did arrive for next turns so maybe it was just a hiccup.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:45 am

Geordietaf wrote: I tend to check in following receipt of emails, which never arrived for the set of turns in question. I wondered at the radio silence from my opponent and checked in to find they did appear in the My Turn tab. Emails did arrive for next turns so maybe it was just a hiccup.
Strange. I guess so.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

jamespcrowley
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:51 pm
Location: Arundel, U.K.

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by jamespcrowley » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 pm

I have never received any emails relating to this tourney.

I have to go in-game and check the my-turns tab

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 pm

jamespcrowley wrote:I have never received any emails relating to this tourney.

I have to go in-game and check the my-turns tab
If you contact support@slitherine.co.uk they should be able to set you up to receive emails.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Fysh
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by Fysh » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Just to add some input to the debate over the number of rounds. In chess, you would indeed, need more rounds, however there is a major difference between the two games; a chess game can only end with the score 1, 0, or 0.5, and a win is a win, and lose is a lose. Chess results contain no information about how decisive the victory was.

Because of this, chess tournaments need at least n rounds, where 2^n >= number of players. Conversely, as FoG II scores reflect the scale of the victory, a swiss style system can give a fair result in fewer rounds.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Fysh wrote:Just to add some input to the debate over the number of rounds. In chess, you would indeed, need more rounds, however there is a major difference between the two games; a chess game can only end with the score 1, 0, or 0.5, and a win is a win, and lose is a lose. Chess results contain no information about how decisive the victory was.

Because of this, chess tournaments need at least n rounds, where 2^n >= number of players. Conversely, as FoG II scores reflect the scale of the victory, a swiss style system can give a fair result in fewer rounds.
You are right, but I think the issue about more rounds is not so much spreading the scores, as ensuring that the top players have had to fight each other, and have not achieved a very high score by being lucky in their opponents.

Personally, I think it is nicer if more people are in with a chance, which is the effect of having less rounds.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Augusta Taurinorum

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by AlessandroD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:50 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:Personally, I think it is nicer if more people are in with a chance, which is the effect of having less rounds.
I guess there are several people that want more rounds (like myself), any chance to have a tournament with 5 or more rounds?
If you think few players are willing to join a tournament like this,, then 32 can be a good start :D

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 pm

AlessandroD wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Personally, I think it is nicer if more people are in with a chance, which is the effect of having less rounds.
I guess there are several people that want more rounds (like myself), any chance to have a tournament with 5 or more rounds?
If you think few players are willing to join a tournament like this,, then 32 can be a good start :D
Not my choice - I just do what Milan tells me. I think there probably will be tournaments with more rounds, once we have ironed out all the wrinkles.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Augusta Taurinorum

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by AlessandroD » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:40 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
AlessandroD wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:Personally, I think it is nicer if more people are in with a chance, which is the effect of having less rounds.
I guess there are several people that want more rounds (like myself), any chance to have a tournament with 5 or more rounds?
If you think few players are willing to join a tournament like this,, then 32 can be a good start :D
Not my choice - I just do what Milan tells me. I think there probably will be tournaments with more rounds, once we have ironed out all the wrinkles.
Thanks!

Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by Igorputski » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Fysh wrote:Just to add some input to the debate over the number of rounds. In chess, you would indeed, need more rounds, however there is a major difference between the two games; a chess game can only end with the score 1, 0, or 0.5, and a win is a win, and lose is a lose. Chess results contain no information about how decisive the victory was.

Because of this, chess tournaments need at least n rounds, where 2^n >= number of players. Conversely, as FoG II scores reflect the scale of the victory, a swiss style system can give a fair result in fewer rounds.
You are right, but I think the issue about more rounds is not so much spreading the scores, as ensuring that the top players have had to fight each other, and have not achieved a very high score by being lucky in their opponents.

Personally, I think it is nicer if more people are in with a chance, which is the effect of having less rounds.
I totally agree with thies ^^^, please keep it that way. Less rounds means more tournaments and like you said gives more people more chances to win instead of the same ole one all the time which can run players away. Everyone likes to win and everyone likes the same chances of winning. :D

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Augusta Taurinorum

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by AlessandroD » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Igorputski wrote:I totally agree with thies ^^^, please keep it that way. Less rounds means more tournaments and like you said gives more people more chances to win instead of the same ole one all the time which can run players away. Everyone likes to win and everyone likes the same chances of winning. :D
I understand your point (even if I don't agree because it is enough to run different tournament formats to have all players happy) but I don't understand the reason behind it, do you really think that playing less rounds give you more chances to win the tournament? :o

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:58 pm

AlessandroD wrote:
Igorputski wrote:I totally agree with thies ^^^, please keep it that way. Less rounds means more tournaments and like you said gives more people more chances to win instead of the same ole one all the time which can run players away. Everyone likes to win and everyone likes the same chances of winning. :D
I understand your point (even if I don't agree because it is enough to run different tournament formats to have all players happy) but I don't understand the reason behind it, do you really think that playing less rounds give you more chances to win the tournament? :o
It is a mathematical fact in a Swiss Chess system - when there are fewer rounds, you have more chance of sneaking your way to the top score without playing the best players. The more rounds there are in the tournament, the less chance there is of avoiding playing the best players.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 9360
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:It is a mathematical fact in a Swiss Chess system - when there are fewer rounds, you have more chance of sneaking your way to the top score without playing the best players. The more rounds there are in the tournament, the less chance there is of avoiding playing the best players.
Richard, are there any plans to develop a rating system for players based on their results in the automated tournament? Just dividing the total number of points gained by the number of games played would do. The reason that I ask this is that in the first round of these tournaments there are quite a few uneven matches between more and less experienced players. If you could use the rating system (which would not necessarily have to be published on the forum) you could divide the entrants into two pools at the start and pick the first round matches from these two pools. In that way the first round matches would be a bit more even - the top 32 players would be in one pool and players 33 to 64 would be in the other. The FOG2 Digital League will use a rating system to help allocate players to divisions where they will meet players of a similar standard.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Augusta Taurinorum

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by AlessandroD » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:34 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:It is a mathematical fact in a Swiss Chess system - when there are fewer rounds, you have more chance of sneaking your way to the top score without playing the best players. The more rounds there are in the tournament, the less chance there is of avoiding playing the best players.
Yes but if you won the first round you will be paired with another winner, the chances that you play three rounds scoring a lot of points will be slim anyway.
An average player can end the tournament with a good performance if lucky, but I doubt he can won if several stronger players are in the same tournament.

Anyhow I got the point, thanks.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm

stockwellpete wrote:Richard, are there any plans to develop a rating system for players based on their results in the automated tournament?
Yes.
The reason that I ask this is that in the first round of these tournaments there are quite a few uneven matches between more and less experienced players. If you could use the rating system (which would not necessarily have to be published on the forum) you could divide the entrants into two pools at the start and pick the first round matches from these two pools. In that way the first round matches would be a bit more even - the top 32 players would be in one pool and players 33 to 64 would be in the other. The FOG2 Digital League will use a rating system to help allocate players to divisions where they will meet players of a similar standard.
Some form of seeding is also on the wish list.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator
Posts: 9360
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by stockwellpete » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm

OK, that's great. :D

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 13503
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 am

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by IainMcNeil » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm

The plan is to vary the size and round length and round number so each tournaments has a different feel. We're still experimenting at the moment so feel free to suggest and we'll try and make sure there is something for everyone.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Augusta Taurinorum

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by AlessandroD » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:49 pm

IainMcNeil wrote:The plan is to vary the size and round length and round number so each tournaments has a different feel. We're still experimenting at the moment so feel free to suggest and we'll try and make sure there is something for everyone.
Already done in the specific thread, thanks for the support :D

SpeedyCM
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 am
Location: Australia

Re: Field of Glory II Second Tournament

Post by SpeedyCM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Just trying to load the first turn of my round 3 match in this tourney and I am getting a failed to load message, are there server issues happening at the moment?

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II”