FOGII - Lucky it was cheap

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Petiloup
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

FOGII - Lucky it was cheap

Post by Petiloup » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:58 am

When I saw FOGII, I was interested as loving games like Total War but the lack of a campaign map was a no no from the start.

Then I saw the game for about $10 on Steam and I thought being worth a movie ticket or two then why not.

Where to start on the things that are working? Nice design enough but nothing that the rest of the industry does not do as well.

What is not working:

- "The world is square, don't fall of the edges", if ever you have the idea to go around the enemy flanks with Parthians light cavalry then better not have the enemy charges your cavalry with it's infantry or your cavalry is sucked in a void and might come back a few turns later when it's no use anymore.
- "Run like the wind and to hell the riders of the Apocalypse", it is of course well known that trained infantry can outrun any cavalry charges without even loosing cohesion. Then sadly your cavalry is then at the wrong place being charged themselves back by infantry. Remember reading this is how the Romans defeated the Partians at Carrhae, no issue there.
- "Train, train, train, in formation said the Romans, but please make sure to charge out when you can". Oh dear, did anyone heard of decimation when troops aren't not following orders and made the General in charge risk to loose a battle??? So many times in this game a battles ends up in just a mess of troops fighting left, right, front and... maybe center. I guess all history books are getting that wrong about well managed battles like Cannae.
- "Fall back in order, but only after killing the troops sucking you into a melee". I guess we have to rewrite the Cannae battle history as the Romans having only started melee the Carthaginians when it was too late already and they were in Hannibal trap.
- "A General has fallen... who cares they are useless". Have seen a few events like that and for what it was worth I noticed absolutely no change. Remember reading so many stories of armies winning the day even after their COC fled the battlefield or died so no issue there either.
- "Woods??? Give me those armor piercing arrows!!!" so 250 archers firing against archers in a wood made 15 kills while the 250 in the woods, now 235, manage to make only 9 kills against the enemy archers in open ground. Remember reading about trees killing troops with splinters due to explosions... wait was it FOGII or WWII... same II... can't remember.
- "Can I turn around my horse and then do something? WHAT!!!, that is just plain unacceptable!!! unless you want to evade of course." Somebody needs to explain to me the mechanics there, unless it's the horses controlling the Evade and the Rider the rest most of the time. Then makes sense as so far horses seems the smartest in this game. Of course horse also have the common sense not to be disrupted for evading or fragmented when disrupted and evading... so easy to keep a great cohesion when running away... but being able to move your horse left when it's facing another direction takes a whole turn... makes sense.
- "I win but I'm f...ed, YEAH!", so you break a unit morale, leave your line, move forward, get yourself surrounded while you have Veteran troops? Why nobody thought of putting officers with the troops in a formation? just troops and generals... gosh... why nobody thought of this???????????????????????? [sad face].
- "Artillery is just funny stones"... can someone tell me what's the point to have heavy artillery? who cares about those funny bouncing stones that just steps on a few toes after-all. Doesn't even disrupt close formations.

All this is just details that I wouldn't point out if it was not for the saddest part of this whole sorry thing is that it gives you no sense that your tactics have any impact on the battle.

Tried Cannae, had the whole right flank of the Roman surrounded after piercing the center, my Noble Cavalry in their back, my infantry on their flanks and some Javelinmen and Slingers for good measures. Charging in the rear of the same ennemy unit, "Rear Attack" clearly stated, 3 times with 3 different units in one round for the RAW Roman legionaries unit to just brush it away as a mere nuisance even though 2 or 3 units were broken down around them running away. The RAW Roman legionaries surrounded with routing units in their midst did just stand there, waited, fought back, pinning down my units in melee and kept fighting as good boys they were. This at level II. Of course as the Romans were just must more numerous, they prevailed at the end. Will read back the numerous account of Antiquities battle lost for surrounding an enemy that didn't care, I must have missed something.

Sorry but at that moment I'm just not interested to play a game where the AI relies on changing the rule of Antiquities warfare to have a chance at winning.

Of course for those that enjoy grinding their way out of a battle, or are much better player than me with more time then it's an ok game... I guess but buy it on Steam, 3 times cheaper than on the maker website... which makes you wonder what kind of sucker this company thinks their clients are.

"The game that brought the fun and excitement"... sorry wrong statement. Rome Total War was doing fun well 7 years ago.

"Accurate simulation of Ancient battle"... well...

"Campaign mode allows you to rewrite history"... that one is accurate... history is all rewritten which enables you to play something ahistorical in many sense.

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: FOGII - Lucky it was cheap

Post by 76mm » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:49 am

Petiloup wrote: All this is just details that I wouldn't point out if it was not for the saddest part of this whole sorry thing is that it gives you no sense that your tactics have any impact on the battle.
I won't rebut you point by point, but many of your issues stem from your failure to use proper tactics in the game--so your tactics are having an "impact on the battle", just not a favorable one.

You also seem fixated on Cannae--a battle unique in the annals of ancient warfare and which you make sound played out like some kind of chess game. Do you expect/want every repetition of the Cannae scenario to turn out exactly like the historical result?

Radio
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Radio » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:00 am

Cool story bro.

Petiloup

Post by Petiloup » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:59 am

76mm wrote:
Petiloup wrote: All this is just details that I wouldn't point out if it was not for the saddest part of this whole sorry thing is that it gives you no sense that your tactics have any impact on the battle.
I won't rebut you point by point, but many of your issues stem from your failure to use proper tactics in the game--so your tactics are having an "impact on the battle", just not a favorable one.
Do wonder how you know I'm not using proper tactics? did you watch me play? :)

Now please read my other post "Battle of Carrhae - Historical Simulation", the problem is not that my tactics don't work it's just that I'm inventing new tactics to use the game numerous failures instead of using historical tactics as those don't work.

Quod erat demonstrandum, this game is no simulation.

hjc
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by hjc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:15 am

Petiloup wrote: Quod erat demonstrandum, this game is no simulation.
FoG2 is a good simulation of a tabletop wargame.

76mm

Post by 76mm » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:22 am

Petiloup wrote: Do wonder how you know I'm not using proper tactics? did you watch me play? :)
No, but your complaints about units advancing after combat indicate that you don't know how the game mechanics work.

JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:44 am

1. Cavalry evasion is happening during enemy turn... its turn based game..
2. you ordered men to charge, then complain they fight? If you wanna keep line, dont order them to attack, and wait for enemy to charge you...
3. Horses are not men..to keep them in formation is very hard.. especially if they are formed in line.. turning then, is practically impossible..
4. Artillery has no place in open battles.

you had few good points though. i also think forest cover should play for a bit more than it is right now. anyway rest of it, you are just wrong.. and just Fyi, i'm long time Total War player, one of authors of Rome 2 Total Realism mod. and i rather play FoG2 than R2TW because its portraying ancient warfare a lot better.

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

Petiloup, multiplayer is that bad as well?
Colbert ✯ TWC Co-founder
https://thewargamingclub.online/

Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Ironclad » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:27 pm

Lancier wrote:Petiloup, multiplayer is that bad as well?
Check out some of the many You Tube videos available (they include at least one multiplayer) which show the qualities of this fine game.

Return to “Field of Glory II”