Small suggestions thread

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Ktonos
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by Ktonos » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:48 pm

When a unit is hidden have an icon to clarify that to the owning player

When a unit is disordered, it would be perfect if this would be depicted in the unit's animation - or as a color indication in their banner (as with fractured/fragmented units). It could be a grey bar getting blacker the more disordered a unit is.

Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

For multiplayer I would like to see custom games with a paired game option, having the same terrain. So paired games are an easy way to get around balancing problems or lucky terrain. So every player is facing the same problems.

I know that pot luck terrain is determined on the client side at the start of the first turn, not on the server while creating the game. So it might be tricky to implement this. May be a game with paired game option is able to create the second game with same terrain and armies on the server after the first turn. So the game is duplicated on the server and in the second game deployment is set back to default.

Best regards
Gwaylare

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Gwaylare wrote:For multiplayer I would like to see custom games with a paired game option, having the same terrain. So paired games are an easy way to get around balancing problems or lucky terrain. So every player is facing the same problems.

I know that pot luck terrain is determined on the client side at the start of the first turn, not on the server while creating the game. So it might be tricky to implement this. May be a game with paired game option is able to create the second game with same terrain and armies on the server after the first turn. So the game is duplicated on the server and in the second game deployment is set back to default.

Best regards
Gwaylare
Agreed it would be nice, although there are technical challenges to implementing it. It could probably be done though, by using the same RNG seed number for map generation in both games. If the seed number is the same, the same map gets generated. (There are 4,294,967,295 possible seed numbers, which is why all the maps look different - if you play a billion games you might see one repeat).
Richard Bodley Scott

RichardHuggins
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by RichardHuggins » Mon May 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Would it be possible to have a score or % of wins, losses,draws in multi player. Or at least show the outcome of each battle in the Completed screen. Useful to know how you are progressing, and which players are handy at this game ;).

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue May 08, 2018 6:41 am

RichardHuggins wrote:Would it be possible to have a score or % of wins, losses,draws in multi player. Or at least show the outcome of each battle in the Completed screen. Useful to know how you are progressing, and which players are handy at this game ;).
These things are on the wishlist.
Richard Bodley Scott

KiwiWarlord
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by KiwiWarlord » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Light Troops Routing.
Should Light Troops when Breaking and Routing cause non Light Troops to take a Moral Test ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 pm

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm
Light Troops Routing.
Should Light Troops when Breaking and Routing cause non Light Troops to take a Moral Test ?
No
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by MVP7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm

During enemy turn it would be convenient if camera moved enough to show the unit that is being shot at rather than the unit that is shooting. Now the shooting damage is often left outside the screen.

And a small cosmetic request, it would be nice to be able to freely change the main menu background image to the ones from the DLC.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:15 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 pm
During enemy turn it would be convenient if camera moved enough to show the unit that is being shot at rather than the unit that is shooting.
It does for artillery, but not for others, as this could get annoying, and usually they are on the screen as the maximum range is only 4 squares.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:15 pm
MVP7 wrote:
During enemy turn it would be convenient if camera moved enough to show the unit that is being shot at rather than the unit that is shooting.
It does for artillery, but not for others, as this could get annoying, and usually they are on the screen as the maximum range is only 4 squares.
Ok, in my experience it happens a lot, probably every 1 out of 4 times at least. Does the camera center on the starting position of the unit or the destination?

The issue could also be that the camera is not moved(?) if the unit is already on the screen or the target is just barely at the edge of the screen?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:01 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:15 pm
MVP7 wrote:
Ok, in my experience it happens a lot, probably every 1 out of 4 times at least. Does the camera center on the starting position of the unit or the destination?

The issue could also be that the camera is not moved(?) if the unit is already on the screen or the target is just barely at the edge of the screen?
It is set to move if the shooting unit is not well on to the screen. I am not sure what exactly the engine algorithm is for this (i.e. exactly how near the edge of the screen it has to be to trigger the move), it will certainly move if the unit is only just on the screen. But I guess that it can be on the screen enough not to trigger the camera move but its target not be.

The problem is striking a balance, because if we set the camera to actually centre the screen on every unit that shoots, this rapidly gets annoying (or even dizzy-making).

We will look into it.
Richard Bodley Scott

MVP7

Post by MVP7 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:17 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:01 pm
MVP7 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

It is set to move if the shooting unit is not well on to the screen. I am not sure what exactly the engine algorithm is for this (i.e. exactly how near the edge of the screen it has to be to trigger the move), it will certainly move if the unit is only just on the screen. But I guess that it can be on the screen enough not to trigger the camera move but its target not be.

The problem is striking a balance, because if we set the camera to actually centre the screen on every unit that shoots, this rapidly gets annoying (or even dizzy-making).

We will look into it.
Thanks! If the camera moved just one centimeter more in the very worst case scenarios I think the damage number would be on the screen almost always.

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am

Pike in Square get a Deep Pike Bonus ???
How can a Pike Phalanx in Square be as powerful as a charging Pike Phalanx ?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:26 am

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 am
Pike in Square get a Deep Pike Bonus ???
How can a Pike Phalanx in Square be as powerful as a charging Pike Phalanx ?
That is a bottom-up way of looking at it, and mechanisms based on bottom-up logic often lead to incorrect historical results. While we (sometimes) know what actually happened in a battle, we seldom know what exactly contributed to that result, and designing rules from the bottom up therefore usually fails to achieve historical results because somewhere along the line our assumptions are wrong.

The top-down way of looking at it is that we don't want pikes in square to be easier to defeat in combat, because the historical evidence is that they weren't. For example the Seleucid pikes at Magnesia formed square after their flank was exposed by the rout of the Seleucid left wing, but were able to resist the Romans and remain in good order until the elephants in the intervals ran amok.

So whatever the apparent logic, they need to be as strong in square as they are when not in square, otherwise we cannot reproduce history. A possible explanation is that pikes were good at defending, and as the main way of defeating them was to outflank them, square formation avoided this weakness.
Richard Bodley Scott

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks for the reply RBS, all makes sense what you say.
Was a bit of a shock when I was looking at charging a square with one of my Pike units, I took the option of moving past the square as there is no ZOC.

MVP7

Post by MVP7 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Would be nice if there was a button to swap the 'Your Army' and 'Enemy Army' when setting up a custom battle or campaign. This way it would be more convenient to search a fitting army to use against specific opponent.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:02 pm
Would be nice if there was a button to swap the 'Your Army' and 'Enemy Army' when setting up a custom battle or campaign. This way it would be more convenient to search a fitting army to use against specific opponent.
Well it isn't exactly hard already, even if you do swap the armies after choosing.
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by sIg3b » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:41 am
RichardHuggins wrote:Would it be possible to have a score or % of wins, losses,draws in multi player. Or at least show the outcome of each battle in the Completed screen. Useful to know how you are progressing, and which players are handy at this game ;).
A list of ALL my games played (including SP) would be nice. Something very basic, just listing sides, size, difficulty and win/lose.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:34 pm

sIg3b wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:19 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:41 am
A list of ALL my games played (including SP) would be nice. Something very basic, just listing sides, size, difficulty and win/lose.
Noted.
Richard Bodley Scott

Patrick Ward
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Patrick Ward » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 am

MVP7 wrote:
And a small cosmetic request, it would be nice to be able to freely change the main menu background image to the ones from the DLC.
Can't be done, at least not in a cost effective way. The DLC images don't exist in any usable form and were only created for marketting use. Secondly, in order to scale properly at different ratios and to react to light, the front end screenis broken up into multiple images and layers including normal and spec maps which were created by hand. It has already been talked about somewhere on the forum but I can't find it now. Of course you're free to change them to what ever you want.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Return to “Field of Glory II”