Small suggestions thread

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 am
Location: İstanbul
Contact:

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by Lancier » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:43 am

I understand you, just i wanted to give it a try and wondered if we could have it in MP. Between friends it can still be played if we have it in options like it is in P&S i guess? (When tooltip is minimal it still gives some info? what is helper mod on/off by the way in P&S i am not sure)
Thanks.

Image
rbodleyscott wrote:
Lancier wrote:Image
Now with simple or detailed tooltips on settings you can see the approximate % of impact and melees win/draw/lose chances before you go for it. Thats ok and very helpful. But there is no way to turn off the tooltips completely i think if someone wants to like we can turn off the close combat log or close combat reports. While blind challenges i meant this not the factions or Pot Luck. So with tooltips off (blind) these will not help players before they push the charge button course if both sides dont want to...
We could have such an option but it would be hard to enforce in MP. The data passed to and from the server does not include Options settings, let alone enforce them, and I suspect that those at Slitherine who are the ultimate arbiters of how MP should work would not want it to.
PBeMer ✯ TWC Co-founder
https://thewargamingclub.online/

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:17 pm

what is helper mod on/off by the way in P&S i am not sure
It is tutorial mode.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by GiveWarAchance » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 pm

I would like experience to be awarded for damage inflicted rather than taken. Because xp is only awarded for damage taken, ranged units especially artillery and archers that successfully avoid getting damaged, can never gain xp.
Most probably this can't change though cause it is part of the core game engine same as Sengoku game. It's not a big deal I guess cause it doesn't affect MP games, only campaigns. But it is pretty cool in campaigns to see units improve in quality.

One unit I don't understand are my African Spearmen. They get trashed very badly every battle in normal head to head combat (no flanking on them) despite being superior quality now. I like the unit and it is very historical so I always include them but it is a normal routine to see them running off the battlefield in a panic while waving a white sheet.

Paul59
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by Paul59 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:30 pm

GiveWarAchance wrote:I would like experience to be awarded for damage inflicted rather than taken. Because xp is only awarded for damage taken, ranged units especially artillery and archers that successfully avoid getting damaged, can never gain xp.
Yes, I think that would be a much better system, but it is probably not possible to program/script into the game.
Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 am

GiveWarAchance wrote:One unit I don't understand are my African Spearmen. They get trashed very badly every battle in normal head to head combat (no flanking on them) despite being superior quality now. I like the unit and it is very historical so I always include them but it is a normal routine to see them running off the battlefield in a panic while waving a white sheet.
Use them to flank the enemy and have Spanish and Gauls in your centre (like Hannibal did).
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by GiveWarAchance » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:05 pm

Ya that is best. When I read a book about Hannibal, he put the Africans on the wings to attack the flanks, but he also gave them the captured Roman equipment so they were like legionaries as well as veteran warriors so they were brutal.
The problem in my game is I was very low in infantry cause of losses over the campaign so I had no Spanish and only one warband of Gauls. I used a lot of javelin, slingers/archers & horses to swarm around the badguys while my center was like a thin crust on a pie.
I finished my Hannibal campaign but will play it again and try putting the Africans on the flanks. That campaign is very fun.

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by GiveWarAchance » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Here is a picture of a battle. I think maybe it is the second to last battle. There are Africans fighting from behind the elephants and are slipping on big piles of manure. Those elephants were ruthlessly flanked and seen off the field. I actually won this battle if you can believe it but my core force was badly reduced for the final fight.

Image

GiveWarAchance
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by GiveWarAchance » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 am

I remember now that I didn't win the battle in that picture above. I was saved from dismal defeat when my computer shut down due to overheating and ended that catastrophe of brutal Roman power. After I got my computer running again, I was able to redo the battle and win but my core units were beat up very badly and some wiped out and others retired to garrison duty.

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 am
Location: İstanbul
Contact:

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by Lancier » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:00 am

Any chance to see at the end of the battle how each unit did during the battle?
PBeMer ✯ TWC Co-founder
https://thewargamingclub.online/

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Lancier wrote:Any chance to see at the end of the battle how each unit did during the battle?
It's on the long-term wishlist - but a lot of other things are higher on the list.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Posts: 1175
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by 76mm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

It's been mentioned before, but any chance that in MP we can get the camera to default back to the phasing player's POV instead of wherever the opposing player left it? It often takes me half the playback for me to figure out which side I'm on (I'm kinda slow...).

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:01 pm

76mm wrote:It's been mentioned before, but any chance that in MP we can get the camera to default back to the phasing player's POV instead of wherever the opposing player left it? It often takes me half the playback for me to figure out which side I'm on (I'm kinda slow...).
It's on the engine wishlist.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

MVP7
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by MVP7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 pm

Would be nice if combat reports/log gave more detailed and clear information when losing a general. Instead of just "Firstname Lastname has fallen!" it could be "Our sub-general Firstname Lastname has fallen" or "Enemy C-in-C Firstname Lastname has fallen".

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm

MVP7 wrote:Would be nice if combat reports/log gave more detailed and clear information when losing a general. Instead of just "Firstname Lastname has fallen!" it could be "Our sub-general Firstname Lastname has fallen" or "Enemy C-in-C Firstname Lastname has fallen".
True.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

MVP7
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by MVP7 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I have couple small suggestions about generals and their command in the deployment phase.

For example, sometimes I wan't to remove a general from cavalry to infantry but the only way to do so is to first assign an infantry unit to the cavalry command and move the general into that infantry unit. After that the only way to detach the cavalry units from the now general's infantry command is to attach all the cavalry units into a general-less light infantry command and after that move the light infantry from the now cavalry command into another light infantry or regular infantry command. That's of course on top of then having to assign all the infantry into the generals new command.


I think these additions would eliminate the sliding-block-puzzle aspect of the current system and make it much more straightforward and quick to use:

- It would be very convenient if you could detach a unit (whether the unit has attached general or not) from the command it currently belongs to.

- Another useful feature would be being able to detach a general from unit so that he returns to the pool ("extra commanders to place...").

- It would also be convenient if general that was placed into a unit that already belongs to a command that has no general (like light infantry most of the time, or a command that has had it's general detached as suggested) the general would take command of that command instead of being separated from the rest of the command into a new command (which means you have to move all the remaining units from the old command into the new command).

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:27 pm

MVP7 wrote:I have couple small suggestions about generals and their command in the deployment phase.

For example, sometimes I wan't to remove a general from cavalry to infantry but the only way to do so is to first assign an infantry unit to the cavalry command and move the general into that infantry unit. After that the only way to detach the cavalry units from the now general's infantry command is to attach all the cavalry units into a general-less light infantry command and after that move the light infantry from the now cavalry command into another light infantry or regular infantry command. That's of course on top of then having to assign all the infantry into the generals new command.


I think these additions would eliminate the sliding-block-puzzle aspect of the current system and make it much more straightforward and quick to use:

- It would be very convenient if you could detach a unit (whether the unit has attached general or not) from the command it currently belongs to.

- Another useful feature would be being able to detach a general from unit so that he returns to the pool ("extra commanders to place...").

- It would also be convenient if general that was placed into a unit that already belongs to a command that has no general (like light infantry most of the time, or a command that has had it's general detached as suggested) the general would take command of that command instead of being separated from the rest of the command into a new command (which means you have to move all the remaining units from the old command into the new command).
Thanks
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

MVP7
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by MVP7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 am

Would be nice if the army lists in the army list-list had some kind of icons or other markings that tell what expansion they are from.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 23066
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 am

MVP7 wrote:Would be nice if the army lists in the army list-list had some kind of icons or other markings that tell what expansion they are from.
This has been suggested before, but I am struggling to see what use it would have.

Note that it isn't necessary for a player to own a DLC to accept and play an MP custom battle challenge including armies from a DLC.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

MVP7
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
Posts: 847
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by MVP7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 pm

rbodleyscott wrote:
MVP7 wrote:Would be nice if the army lists in the army list-list had some kind of icons or other markings that tell what expansion they are from.
This has been suggested before, but I am struggling to see what use it would have.

Note that it isn't necessary for a player to own a DLC to accept and play an MP custom battle challenge including armies from a DLC.
Yeah, there's no real massive gameplay reasons for it. It would just be nice for browsing the army lists (something I find myself doing a lot), seeing when the lists in question were added and it would often make it easier to find the specific army list you are looking for. I think the value of these small benefits would quickly increase as the game keeps expanding. It could also work with mods so that you could easily see which army lists were added by the mod.

RICKBUTLER
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:53 am

Re: Small suggestions thread

Post by RICKBUTLER » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:32 am

One change that I would like to see in a future update is concerning campaigns. Currently when one is offered the option to have an ally's troops join you they are picked by the AI. One example is in my Sassanid campaign where twice I was given the option of Arab Allies. I would have liked to have some of their massed bowmen or camels to complement my troops. Unfortunately, all I seem to get was light troops, medium infantry, and rabble. I would like the player to have the choice of picking up to half the allied points from that ally's army list.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II”