Suggestions for what to do with that extra general or two?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Temple
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Suggestions for what to do with that extra general or two?

Post by Temple » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:12 pm

With the new update, when preparing for a custom battle sometimes I'm offered an extra general or two or three. And I have to say, I'm not quite sure what are some of the better ways to utilize them. I know that, for instance, keeping one general behind the battle line will help keep my line units in command range, giving them that free 45 degree turn at the start of their turn. However, should I be putting them with flanking units to give them the extra POA when needed? And is there ever any benefit to putting a general with Light Troops? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

the_iron_duke
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Re: Suggestions for what to do with that extra general or tw

Post by the_iron_duke » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:38 pm

It's up to you, and can depend on the army and map. A general default might be to put the Field Commander commanding the troops in the middle and a Troop Commander on each flank. Or if you've got a cavalry contingent give a Commander to them. Maybe give one to the point of your army's spear, like some pikemen, for the combat and morale boosts.

Generally, it's probably not worth giving a Commander to light troops as Commanders only give morale bonuses when in combat, and light troops are weak at this.

Usually, it's only the C-in-C that I will give its own special unit to, like a high quality cavalry, with the rest of the Commanders being the same as the troops they command, although sometimes I give one to the Field Commander too.

One multiplayer opponent even did this:

P.S. I did notice the "general" puns in what I wrote, but left them in.

Dual_CoRed
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Dual_CoRed » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:06 pm

That's an interesting strategy of assigning all generals to the front line, but doesn't being engaged in close combat affect their command ability in some way?

MikeC_81
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeC_81 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Temple wrote:With the new update, when preparing for a custom battle sometimes I'm offered an extra general or two or three. And I have to say, I'm not quite sure what are some of the better ways to utilize them. I know that, for instance, keeping one general behind the battle line will help keep my line units in command range, giving them that free 45 degree turn at the start of their turn. However, should I be putting them with flanking units to give them the extra POA when needed? And is there ever any benefit to putting a general with Light Troops? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Remember that the free 45 degree turn rule does not apply to a whole range of units like Pikes, Warbands, and undrilled Hoplites. So if your infantry is composed of primarily these units, it might not be worthwhile keeping the C&C out of combat in some cavalry unit. Maybe better to support a cavalry wing to help you win a flank early and then have your horse descend on your opponent's infantry line.

Another factor is what kind of enemy you are facing and what kind of troops you are using *cough* Impact Foot/Swordsmen *cough*. For example, Spears and Pikes derive a large portion of their PoA boost vs Impact Foot/Swordsmen by being Steady so your generals should be used to fortify key units and sections of the line against these dangerous opponents. Spears that are steady force IF/S units to fight at 50 PoA vs spear 100 PoA post Impact. If they get disrupted, not only do they now fight with a 22% reduction in combat power (doesn't directly translate in the w/d/l result), but the IF/S units now gain a full 100 PoA in melee. Its going to be a slaughter.

Similarly for Pikes, Deep Pikes, the keyword that grands the 2nd +100 PoA against all opponents doesn't work if you are disrupted. If you are against IF/S opponents, you want to keep your Pikes steady at all costs or they will quickly get eaten for breakfast. If they do not get disrupted though, then Deep Pikes quickly dominate IF/S units in Melee who are massive dogs after they expend their load on Impact (200 Pike PoA vs 100 IF/S melee PoA).

Fortifying important units such as these with +50 PoA and a +1 to cohesion check is huge and can mean the difference between getting smashed vs smashing the Legions. Something to consider in round 1 of the upcoming tournament!

If there isn't such a need then having sub generals packed on the cavalry arm typically is more useful I find since they can bring +50 PoA to bear at disparate sections of the battle much faster than a foot general can. Remember that generals can be transferred within commands! The C&C can go in any unit of your army! A lot of opponents I find don't bother moving their generals around and thats a big waste.
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

Temple

Post by Temple » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:09 am

Thanks MikeC_81, that's some useful advise.

Is there any advantage to splitting a battle line into separate commands under two or more subgenerals?

w_michael
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by w_michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:40 am

Temple wrote:Thanks MikeC_81, that's some useful advise.

Is there any advantage to splitting a battle line into separate commands under two or more subgenerals?
Commands are only used for two things: to expedite movement through fewer mouse clicks, and to limit which unit a general may be attached to. The turning and cohesion bonuses apply to all units within the appropriate command range whether the units are in the general's command or not. The close combat POA bonus only applies to the unit the general is attached to.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

Temple

Post by Temple » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:04 am

w_michael wrote:Commands are only used for two things: to expedite movement through fewer mouse clicks, and to limit which unit a general may be attached to. The turning and cohesion bonuses apply to all units within the appropriate command range whether the units are in the general's command or not. The close combat POA bonus only applies to the unit the general is attached to.
And I guess since the expedite movement thing is only useful at the beginning of a battle, and kind of a luxury at that, that isn't really something to consider.

However, considering that second part, in that it limits which unit a general may be attached to, well that makes me think that it might be worth splitting the main battle line between two or more sub-generals. That way I could move that sub-general to different units in his command for rally purposes, plus to increase the POA for a critical unit attacking or defending. Hmm, I'll have to try this.

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:34 am

...by the way i am fan of the sound we hear when a CiC die in the game... uh lovely! ^^
Vive L'Empereur!
The Wargaming Club (TWC)
https://thewargamingclub.com/

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:57 pm

In my last MP game I divided the infantry into three commands, each led by a sub-general. My small amount of cavalry had superior morale status, so I figured they could operate independently as long as I win in the centre. As Mike points out though, my infantry consisted of raw hoplites so the sub-general's movement bonus was wasted but the cohesion bonus was critical. This is a decision that each of has to make at the beginning of the battle.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

Return to “Field of Glory II”