Beginner's Guide Video Series

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
GeneralKostas
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Beginner's Guide Video Series

Post by GeneralKostas » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:35 am

Congratulations!! Excellent video series.
Thracian armies haven't heavy foot, but they are capable in skirmish tactics, flank attacks and hit and run game. It is up to you how to play.

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vakarr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 pm

HiI have now finished a six minute guide to FOG II terrain and here it is https://youtu.be/QtZMhS5Wnk0

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 am

Thanks very much. Will view later.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Chris,

I just watched. A most excellent presentation.

Now, I have two comments:

(1) When playing the AI, how to draw the enemy into the fight you want to fight? So far, I have noticed I can pull more force chasing skirmishers on the flanks than the value of the skirmishers. I can utilize a cavalry deficit to keep the enemy cavalry watching its flank as opposed to being its most aggressive. AI impact foot is hesitant about marching through woods to out maneuver me. (The AI seems to consider hidden threats and not reason about their plausibility due to given force levels.)

So, if I want to avoid static defenses, other than hiding forces ... how do >>> I <<< control the battle?

(2) Mike in his tutorials elucidated a very important point about why have impact foot face impact foot in the woods. The chance of a resolution is reduced by 50% and gets dumped into "draw". If your strategy is simply playing for time while other things are going on, this buys a lot of it.
Last edited by MarkShot on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Oh ...

(3) Perhaps it was too obvious, but impassable is an excellent way to anchor a flank. Rough and medium foot is also a good anchor as they can hold in this situation. As you are often outnumbered, one issue seems to be is controlling frontage so that you can break the enemy before his weight can be brought to bear.

Concurrent with that, how to handle push backs with your line becoming non-contiguous? Which leaves you vulnerable to devastating flanks charges while engaged?

Thanks!

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Another thing that I highly suspect is that the battles have 3 phases.

The opening where it is mainly skirmishers attempting to achieve early goals and heavy forces positioning.

The middle where it is initial collision of lines, but still there are options for movement (interior lines and surprise flanking).

The end where most units are fully committed and the strategy succeeds of fails. Initially, there is hardly any mobility as everyone is locked in combat. If successful, you will slowly over power the enemy, and gain some mobility.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Another thing I wonder about is does the AI have memory?

If a force disappears in the woods, does it cease to exist (similar to if it was hidden during deployment) or is it remembered until it reappears. Because I read that the AI re-evaluates every turn ... which would mean it forgets. Admittedly, an exploit.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 pm

Well one thing you can take advantage of, is that the AI only reacts to forces within 5 squares of it, and even then may only react with the forces in that sector. This is dependent on what sort of armies are facing each other and the terrain, as if the AI thinks it has a good chance, it will advance on the first turn. So if you don't move within five squares/get within shooting range etc (and it's a battle where the AI doesn't move) you can move your skirmishers way around the flanks while you get your centre organized. This also means that a refused flank attack is usually quite effective as it not only takes time for the AI to move its unopposed troops into contact but it may not move some of them at all.

The most important thing is to pick your schwehrpunkt and use multiple ranks of troops at that location so the breakthrough can properly be exploited.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:39 am

Oooooh! I hadn't noticed. Now, that's an exploit.

So, the AI is mainly fighting tactically/heuristically as opposed to having a strategic plan?

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:50 am

Last night, I was playing around with the new "empire" settings. So, I see the options are:

* Scale battle size/map.

* Use FOG difficulty.

* Use Empires difficulty.

So, the scaling is: Empires' Ratio -> FOG Ratio -> FOG Difficulty?

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:06 am

Actually, there is a guy with a video how to win battles on deity level. I am hesitant to watch it. Once you know exploits, it is very hard to unknown them.

The main reason I had asked you ... as I am always outnumbered, I find myself mainly fighting defensively as opposed to attacking. But there is something exhilarating about charging into battle. Now, of course, in TW the defender will often sit as it knows it has the clock on its side.

I saw from your analysis although river crossings aren't the mass kill zones they are in TW that they can still be an odds multiplier.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:11 am

The FOG2 use of squares/tiles and zocs does a good job with frontage which has limited or no consideration in TW. Although lacking fatigue, this is in a way simulated by the 4th rank rule (+100 POA * %RankRemaining).

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 am

Actually I did say that impassable River crossings are a killing zone, though not in so many words, and not like Total War - if you are defending, you get to shoot at the attacker before he crosses, then when he does cross he is on one square and has to fight three squares on your side, though you get no other advantage as the river crossing is clear terrain. It's a great way to defeat the AI as it will attack you across the river, and once I had a hill on my side of the river, so I could stack my shooters as well!

If you fight a battle with the default number of points, the AI is always given about a 100 point advantage and if you choose a difficulty level higher than three the AI also gets one, possibly two flank marches. You can change the number of points the AI has but it doesn't matter, it's not necessary usually unless you have something like Nabateans vs Romans (with your side being the Nabateans). The key is not to try to cover the whole frontage but to use a refused flank and gain a local superiority of numbers - as well as more than one rank attacking. Usually the AI has its best troops on its own right flank so it's best to attack with your right flank if the terrain favours it. I recently came very close to winning with Nabateans by reducing the Roman points to give them only a slight advantage, putting the Nabateans mostly on a hill and putting them only on one flank - so the AI spent a good deal of the game just trying to get into contact while I was busily shooting up the Romans. If you want to see how it's done, just PM me and I'll setup a game with you as the Romans (If I don' get that hill you are promised an easy victory but we can do a mirror game if you like)! You haven't experienced the real thrill of this game until you play multiplayer, and it's nothing like other multiplayer games as it is not done in real time and it is really easy to do.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:49 am

Actually AI sending flank marches is uncommon, random and unrelated to the difficulty setting.
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 am

Interesting, for me every time I have gone over level three difficulty, the AI had a flank march.

MarkShot
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by MarkShot » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:13 am

I recall from Napoleonic games that squares were to counter cavalry flank charges.

In this game, when and why am I going to use the square?

What characteristics does it have during impact/melee with foot and cavalry?

Thanks.

SnuggleBunnies
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:05 pm

MarkShot wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:13 am
I recall from Napoleonic games that squares were to counter cavalry flank charges.

In this game, when and why am I going to use the square?

What characteristics does it have during impact/melee with foot and cavalry?

Thanks.
There was a similar Steam forum thread. I'll just copy my post from there:

Squares exert no zone of control, can only move 1 tile, and cannot attack. As such, they are a defensive measure in desperate circumstances in which any other move would lead to your unit getting flanked and massacred. Still, they have their uses. Once you form a square, your opponent has a few choices, all with certain downsides.

1) Bypass the square. This can allow your opponent to put pressure elsewhere on the field. However, this leaves your unit with the chance to reform and either turn to engage the passing enemies, or fight the frontal unit under even circumstances. Since most units that can form square are fairly effective in head on confrontations, this might cause your opponent difficulties.

2) Engage anyway. Weight of numbers can overcome units in square. However, cavalry or garbage units like Irregular Foot won't really be very helpful in a head on confrontation against even an outnumbered square unit, as long as it is steady. Still, multiple units piling on can cause the outnumbered negative modifier, slowly grinding down the square unit.

3) Bring up missile troops. This is probably the best option, but your opponent has to have had the foresight to bring the missiles up in the first place, otherwise they will be wasting time waiting for them to arrive. Furthermore, If their missile troops are already low on ammuniiton from earlier engagements, they will need to bring up quite a few missile troops to cause cohesion tests. However, against Pikemen, even inflicting casualties is useful as it decreases their Deep Pike melee bonus. Killing approximately 25 Pikemen will cause them to lose 10POA of Deep Pike bonus. Considering that most hills in the game only give +25 POA, even weakening them without causing cohesion tests can be useful. It's most effective, however, to disrupt them and then charge in and slaughter them. Note that the only non Pike unit currently capable of square are Pictish Spearmen, who have no Deep Pike bonus; so shooting at them without causing a cohesion test is a waste of time. Future DLCs will probably have more Spearmen units capable of square (Scottish Spearmen during the 13th and 14th centuries for example).

So basically, you should really only form square if your unit would otherwise be destroyed, as you are giving up the use of an expensive melee unit, and risking letting the enemy into your rear. Hopefully, you can keep your unit alive to keep your rout % down while you win elsewhere on the field.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:22 am

Form squares at the weak edge of the battle lines. Square prevents these guys from suffering the automatic cohesion drop from flank charges.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm

you can only form square with pikes, and then it makes no difference to the combat factors except that the unit cannot be flanked and is now almost invulnerable to anything except other pikes or impact foot. If you have a pike unit facing more than one cavalry unit out in the open, consider forming square as then, if both cavalry units charge from different directions, the cavalry (if they charge) will likely bounce off or even be disrupted or destroyed. Usually forming square is something you do near the end of the game, when your line has broken up and your flanks are no longer secure. If you do form square, you can only move one square forward per turn.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 am

vakarr wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm
you can only form square with pikes, and then it makes no difference to the combat factors except that the unit cannot be flanked and is now almost invulnerable to anything except other pikes or impact foot. If you have a pike unit facing more than one cavalry unit out in the open, consider forming square as then, if both cavalry units charge from different directions, the cavalry (if they charge) will likely bounce off or even be disrupted or destroyed. Usually forming square is something you do near the end of the game, when your line has broken up and your flanks are no longer secure. If you do form square, you can only move one square forward per turn.
And cannot attack.

And no longer exert a ZOC.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”