How do larger units change the game?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
PaulWRoberts
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

How do larger units change the game?

Post by PaulWRoberts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello,

I'm very new to FoG2, and I've noticed that some campaigns feature units with much larger units than the standard 480 men for infantry. For example, the Julius Caesar campaign features Legionnaire units of 2400 men and Javelinmen units of 1200.

I'm just curious (again, as a newcomer) what else is changed at this scale. Are archery ranges different? Do combat calculations correctly scale to larger units? What tactical considerations matter differently at this scale?

On a more general note, I see in the manual that ranks and frontages are part of some equations. Do we have access anywhere in the game to this information for individual units?

Thanks!

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: How do larger units change the game?

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:26 pm

PaulWRoberts wrote:I'm very new to FoG2, and I've noticed that some campaigns feature units with much larger units than the standard 480 men for infantry. For example, the Julius Caesar campaign features Legionnaire units of 2400 men and Javelinmen units of 1200.

I'm just curious (again, as a newcomer) what else is changed at this scale. Are archery ranges different? Do combat calculations correctly scale to larger units? What tactical considerations matter differently at this scale?
A scaling factor is used so that historical numbers can be reported for historical campaigns and battles without having to have excessive numbers of units on the map. But it is purely cosmetic - the units behave as if they were their normal size.

This is a technique used in tabletop wargames to wargame very large battles in a manageable fashion. Obviously it means that we are ignoring certain discrepancies (mainly affecting the ratio between frontage and missile range) in the interest of playability.

All of the ranges, frontages etc. are based on the normal representational scale, where one unit of legionaries is cohort-sized - approximately 480 men.
On a more general note, I see in the manual that ranks and frontages are part of some equations. Do we have access anywhere in the game to this information for individual units?
The only units where deep ranks have any effect in the game are pikes and warbands. The effects are detailed in the POA charts.
Richard Bodley Scott

PaulWRoberts

Post by PaulWRoberts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks!

w_michael
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by w_michael » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Every large unit (> 3 ranks) that I have seen is also a Large Artillery Target, which gives the artillery +100 shooting POA against them.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory series enthusiast

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm

w_michael wrote:Every large unit (> 3 ranks) that I have seen is also a Large Artillery Target, which gives the artillery +100 shooting POA against them.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”