3 things I don like about gameplay...

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: 3 things I don like about gameplay...

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 am

Barrold713 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm
rbodleyscott wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm
stockwellpete wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Fair enough, but if I was rbodleyscott for a day I would introduce what I have suggested along with the old "anarchy rules".
Is this a competition prize that Slitherine should consider?

"Be rbodleyscott for a day!"
Would there be a fancy hat involved?
I don't know, but I would choose a day when I have a dental appointment.
Richard Bodley Scott

Najanaja
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Najanaja » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:24 am

[quote]and I would be glad they are changed, although not sure how to do it

2. Units rallying in the far corner of the battlefield deciding the outcome in a match[/quote]

This seems to me to be an attempt to micromanage a statistically rare event.

I have played a lot of games. I can only remember one occasion when this has happened to me and I probably deserved to lose anyway if it comes down to a hot die roll to save the game.

The armies that are most likely to do this are superior/elite variety and I see it as an important characteristic of these armies.

This is relevant to your second point “The advantage that cheap armies have over high quality armies”.
The ability of good armies to rally more often is important and should be maintained. It is also important for their opponents to consider this.

I recently played Gaugamela as Darius. Almost every turn, early in the game, 2 or 3 Macedonian units would rally, whereas I hardly ever got a rally. Seemed perfectly historical to me.

Taking this into account in your tactical approach is important. Wack them hard first time round and follow up whenever possible.

Anyway, it seems to me that not all routed armies are equal.

Mass formation armies are more likely to rout because of cohesion problems whereas the Roman legion (for example) often don’t rout until there are only two men and the commander's dog left.

I have had a superior warband, with a commander, rout off the battlefield without losing a man due to bad luck with a double cohesion drop followed by a charge. This unit made it to the back corner but didn’t rally so losing the match for me.

This should be considered when it comes to making the changes mentioned in other posts.

melm
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by melm » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:33 pm

I have an idea that we can increase pursuing casualty since most casualty in the battle when unit is pursued. Let's say each pursuing unit can kill 50 per turn if it is pursuing. Thus it will reduce the effectiveness of the rallied unit.

Return to “Field of Glory II”