Shooty scooty Hun cavalry

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Zardoz02
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Shooty scooty Hun cavalry

Post by Zardoz02 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:09 am

Does anybody have a simple tactical doctrine for pinning and destroying Hun bow cavalry? I've just played an interesting Romans vs Huns game where I see that, to win, the Romans not only have to survive the arrow storm, but also knock out a significant number of cav units to get a win. Trouble is while the Hun lancers can't evade, the bows not only can but seem programmed to evade and/or fall back at every opportunity, whether attacked by foot or cavalry.

They may stand and fight against light horse but since the Huns usually have more of those than the Romans, getting light horse in to attack and protecting *them* from being flanked becomes part of the problem.

I'd imagine the standard answer would be to have a foot and horse unit working together so that the foot triggers the evade then the horse catches the unit since it can no longer second-evade? The problem seems to be that by the time I've set this up the game is over and the Huns are all down the pub. :-(

kvnrthr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Shooty scooty Hun cavalry

Post by kvnrthr » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 am

Which Roman army list are you using? I personally don't think a heavy foot list can really do much against a solid horse archer army.

What I did against the AI was to charge with light horse (if possible with a unit blocking my own retreat path, so it doesn't bounce off) then follow up with a lancer. The ZOCs of your foot can protect the flanks of your own cavalry, if you advance properly.

I also find that the AI tends to bunch up its cavalry, so if you charge a horse archer that has a few units to its back you are more likely to catch it. Once in a while they block themselves in completely which is always great.

sIg3b
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Shooty scooty Hun cavalry

Post by sIg3b » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I had a game of Indians vs. Scythians/Saka where my Indians felt totally OP. The Massed Bows shot up the Horse Archers and LI, and the Elephants and Cavalry stomped the remains. The Scythians had a sole Cataphract that stayed fearfully in the rear, and most everything else was destroyed. My only easy win on Governor difficulty so far!

Return to “Field of Glory II”