Favorite Matchups?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Favorite Matchups?

Post by 76mm » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:02 pm

I searched for a thread on players' favorite matchups between armies, but couldn't find one, so thought I'd start one...

I've played quite a few games with a wide variety of armies, and have found the following matchups to be my favorites so far:
Sertorius vs Pontic
Pergamene vs Pontic
Armenian (Tigranes) vs Dacian
Roman vs Dacian
Palmyran vs Frankish

I have to say that I always play with hilly or wooded maps, I'm not sure how balanced these matchups would be on flat maps.

Anybody else have any favorites? If so, might be helpful if you mention what kind of map you recommend, because that can significantly affect how things play out...

Gaznak
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Favorite Matchups?

Post by Gaznak » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 pm

I've found the arab conquest armies pretty fun to play against. I recalled Edward Gibbon declaring that the armies of Trajan or Constantine would have sent them back into the desert. Well the army of Constantine got clobbered twice before I was able to win through some careful cavalry maneuvers. The army of Trajan fared better and won its first engagement though with massive casualties.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:12 am

Gaznak wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 pm
I've found the arab conquest armies pretty fun to play against.
hmm, I don't think I've every played any of those...aren't they horsey-shooty armies? If so I don't generally like playing, or playing against, those army types, but I guess I could take a look.

Gaznak

Post by Gaznak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:22 am

The later arab armies have lots of horse archers, though they are still mostly a mixed force. The initial arab conquest army is a horde of superior heavy spearmen.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:59 am

Great, will give them a try

Return to “Field of Glory II”