Views on mechanics sought - any offers

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Views on mechanics sought - any offers

Post by Triarii »

Dear all,
Help needed in my learning to explain the inability to move two cavalty units.
Sorry no screen shot but in the spirit of chess problems three representations of the synoptic situation.

Player A Red and Player B Blue.

Unit, state and facing.

1 start of Player B turn
Player A End.PNG
Player A End.PNG (8.97 KiB) Viewed 985 times
At start of player B turn all units are in melee combat with facing shown.
The last move made was PlayerA's Noble Armoured Cavalry, a superior unit with General, that charged into contact with the fragmented HI spear. The fragmented HI stood up the charge.
In player B turn no new units join the combats but:-
a) Disrupted MI SCUTARI go to fragmented with combat loss.
b) Good LC JAV go to fragmented with combat loss.
c) Fragmented HI SPEAR rout with combat loss and disperse.

At end of Player B turn and start of Player A turn situation is now
The attachment Player B End Player A Start.PNG is no longer available
During this move Player A (me) cannot move or rotate either Armoured Cavalry unit in any way.
The MI Scutari are able to be moved as normal.
Neither Armoured Cavalry is in any ZOC nor are they noted as pursuing – the routed HI had already dispersed.

Can anyone explain why neither cavalry unit could move or rotate in any way?

I had expected to flank charge and start rolling up the HI Spears and MI Spears with the first charge using superior cavalry with General against the fragmented HI. They stood against the charge which, though unlikely, can of course happen. What I cannot understand is why the cavalry (but not the Scutari) were frozen in my subsequent move after the HI had routed and dispersed.
Clarification would be much appreciated as this was a pivotal moment and I am keen to learn what I may be missing.

At the end of my move situation had become
a) Fragmented MI SCUTARI rout.
b) Fragmented LC Jav Rout
c) MI SCUTARI in combat with MI SPEAR flank attacked by a new unit and disrupted
d) MI SCUTARI charge and disrupt HI SPEAR
e) Both ARM CAV can make no move at all.

The attachment Player A End.PNG is no longer available
Last edited by Triarii on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Views on mechanics sought - any offers

Post by rbodleyscott »

Sorry I cannot view the images.

However:
Can anyone explain why neither cavalry unit could move or rotate in any way?
Probably because they fought in the between-turns melee phase at the end of player B's turn, which counts as being at the start of the following turn.
Richard Bodley Scott

Triarii

Post by Triarii »

Thanks Richard much appreciated.
Are images visible now?
Two more questions though:-

a) Why could the Scutari alone move and rotate and the cavalry not they were all in the same combat? I used the Scutari in that following move.
And
b) If it was 'between turns' is that because Player B did not commit the melee before ending his turn? (All three player A units were in melee in that turn as the third unit the Noble Cav had charged the, already, fragmented spears at end of Player A's previous turn). if so is this 'not resolving' a melee in your turn be something that can be used as a ploy i.e. do not resolve melees for your fragmented units in certain circumstances?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Triarii wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 am Are images visible now?
No
Two more questions though:-

a) Why could the Scutari alone move and rotate and the cavalry not they were all in the same combat? I used the Scutari in that following move.

Possibly because they had not had their melee resolved before the melee ended. This might be considered a "feature" rather than a bug.
b) If it was 'between turns' is that because Player B did not commit the melee before ending his turn? (All three player A units were in melee in that turn as the third unit the Noble Cav had charged the, already, fragmented spears at end of Player A's previous turn).
I think so, yes.
if so is this 'not resolving' a melee in your turn be something that can be used as a ploy i.e. do not resolve melees for your fragmented units in certain circumstances?
Possibly. It certainly merits looking into.
Richard Bodley Scott

Triarii

Post by Triarii »

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer despite no images.

Return to “Field of Glory II”