Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:27 am

I think should give the shield wall units some helmets like dailami foot(some one have and some one not)?These units are in many army lists,it's impossible of so many countries could not afford at least some helmets for the troopers.Especially the anglo-saxon army lists.Between the 600-949ad's army lists they don't have any helmets.Even the king's hirdsmen are no armor,no helmets.I think it's really unhistorical.some christianity anglo-saxon age's helmet relics were already there now,and some sculptures can prove this age's saxons do have helmets.I'll sign my resources blow,also with armors' references.
Attachments
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-32-35-99.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-32-35-99.jpg (387.85 KiB) Viewed 615 times
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-38-23-07.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-38-23-07.jpg (297.63 KiB) Viewed 615 times
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-33-16-91.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-33-16-91.jpg (373.86 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:33 am

relics and a relief.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190809-151000.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-151000.jpg (173.48 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Screenshot_20190809-150800.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-150800.jpg (577.32 KiB) Viewed 613 times
2054774039_86e8230e06_b.jpg
2054774039_86e8230e06_b.jpg (163.54 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:40 am

Modern research and a sculpture.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190809-150621.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-150621.jpg (197.76 KiB) Viewed 612 times
IMG_20190809_152033.jpg
IMG_20190809_152033.jpg (37.22 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Anglo-Saxon_warrior_along_the_faestendica.jpg
Anglo-Saxon_warrior_along_the_faestendica.jpg (219.07 KiB) Viewed 612 times

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:44 am

Relief and modern replica.
Attachments
IMG_20190809_152207.jpg
IMG_20190809_152207.jpg (194.61 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Screenshot_20190809-151122.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-151122.jpg (822.53 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Screenshot_20190815-121539.jpg
Screenshot_20190815-121539.jpg (121.24 KiB) Viewed 611 times

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:58 am

Modern replica and research.Even the rich fyrdsmen could afford mail armor,so why the hirdsmen couldn't have in the game?
Attachments
Screenshot_20190809-1525022.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-1525022.jpg (209.94 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Screenshot_20190809-1449581.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-1449581.jpg (174.65 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Screenshot_20190809-14492.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-14492.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 609 times

Scartabelli
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Scartabelli » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am

Well, I guess it does make sense for some of the men in shieldwall to wear helmets. Like 25% would be good. Helmets weren't cheap but they would be the first thing to buy by a warrior if he could afford some more protection.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am

Scartabelli wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am
Well, I guess it does make sense for some of the men in shieldwall to wear helmets. Like 25% would be good. Helmets weren't cheap but they would be the first thing to buy by a warrior if he could afford some more protection.
Indeed,they should have some,but most important thing is,in the game the king's hirdsmen are no helmet and armors too,that's really unhistorical.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm

The king's hirdsmen in the game.Seems just use the unarmoured cavalry unit's model to repaint.It's really so hard to make a new armoured model for hirdsmen?
Attachments
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-32-19-2.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-04 16-32-19-2.jpg (228.52 KiB) Viewed 558 times
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-15 20-20-42-5.jpg
FIELDOFGLORY2 2019-08-15 20-20-42-5.jpg (641.97 KiB) Viewed 558 times

MVP7
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by MVP7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm

I don't think the shieldwalls really need helmets or other armour as most most armies that use them already have some armoured spearmen to depict the wealthier warriors. The current Hirdsmen are really lightly equipped for their status though.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:09 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:44 pm
I don't think the shieldwalls really need helmets or other armour as most most armies that use them already have some armoured spearmen to depict the wealthier warriors. The current Hirdsmen are really lightly equipped for their status though.
Did you see I say"some" helmets?They do just need some helmets of their models,some have but some not,like dailami foot,that's will makes them looks more real,and the christianity age's anglo-saxon's army lists don't have any armoured units even helmet models before 949ad in the game.According to those reference,that's really unreal.And hirdsmen's status are above the fyrds,even some rich fyrdsmen could afford the mail shirt,so why the hirds are unarmoured in the game?There's only one reason caused that,they don't wanna make new models for these,shield wall units=former ostrogoths spearmen changed unit's name and some attributes.Hirdsmen=unarmoured cavalry unit's model repaint and quality changes.

MVP7
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
Posts: 732
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by MVP7 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:23 pm

I did agree the hirdsmen should have heavier equipment (like some byrnies and helmets)... I'd rather see no helmets at all for the raw/regular shieldwalls because vast majority of them wouldn't have any and for most armies the better equipped warriors are covered by other units.

Devs will be the first to admit that models are reused on several occasions and it's not a matter of wanting to make new models but of the limited budget that they have to work with.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:36 am

MVP7 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:23 pm
I'd rather see no helmets at all for the raw/regular shieldwalls
Just need some helmets for the regular shield wall,like mr.scartabelli said 25% will be good.There're 8 models in one regular shield wall unit so that means only 2-3 models will have helmets and others not.Helmet is the secondary important thing of the protection,some one may not afford the body armor but they could afford the helmet,just need 25% of the unit's total models got helmets,that's really will makes them more real.And they also did this on the dailami foot,but it's 50%.

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai
Posts: 1377
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 am

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by jomni » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:56 am

Should the hemet design be nation specific or any nation can have 25% of the same helmet? Because many nations use the same shield wall unit.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2
Posts: 22242
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:25 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by rbodleyscott » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

You don't need to provide evidence. We are well aware that some of the men in a shieldwall would have helmets.

However, as we have mentioned before, we are a small studio and our art budget (and art time allocation) is not infinite.

There were simply too many variations of appearance in Ancient and Dark Age armies for us to represent all of them within our available budget.

Some compromises have been made in order to get the game (and DLCs) out at all.
Richard Bodley Scott

Image

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 am

jomni wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:56 am
Should the hemet design be nation specific or any nation can have 25% of the same helmet? Because many nations use the same shield wall unit.
I think better use the ridge helmet?Many shieldwall-used nations have that type of helmet.

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:35 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am
However, as we have mentioned before, we are a small studio and our art budget (and art time allocation) is not infinite.

There were simply too many variations of appearance in Ancient and Dark Age armies for us to represent all of them within our available budget.

Some compromises have been made in order to get the game (and DLCs) out at all.
Sad,always because of this,let I say, if you have budget problems,then you can just rise the price of the game or DLC,or you can just sell unit packs like the total war,if this could let you get more money to make more unit and new unit models,I'm sure that is worth to try and peoples willing to buy.At least I will paid just because some new unit and models.

melm
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by melm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 am

rbodleyscott wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am
You don't need to provide evidence. We are well aware that some of the men in a shieldwall would have helmets.

However, as we have mentioned before, we are a small studio and our art budget (and art time allocation) is not infinite.

There were simply too many variations of appearance in Ancient and Dark Age armies for us to represent all of them within our available budget.

Some compromises have been made in order to get the game (and DLCs) out at all.
I'd like to know why the protection rating of hirdsman as "protected" but huscarl as "armoured"?

Dux Limitis
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by Dux Limitis » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 pm

melm wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 am
rbodleyscott wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am
You don't need to provide evidence. We are well aware that some of the men in a shieldwall would have helmets.

However, as we have mentioned before, we are a small studio and our art budget (and art time allocation) is not infinite.

There were simply too many variations of appearance in Ancient and Dark Age armies for us to represent all of them within our available budget.

Some compromises have been made in order to get the game (and DLCs) out at all.
I'd like to know why the protection rating of hirdsman as "protected" but huscarl as "armoured"?
Because of the models.You didn't see that?Hirdsmen models are totally no armor and helmets.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier
Posts: 4641
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Dux Limitis wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 pm
melm wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 am
rbodleyscott wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am
You don't need to provide evidence. We are well aware that some of the men in a shieldwall would have helmets.

However, as we have mentioned before, we are a small studio and our art budget (and art time allocation) is not infinite.

There were simply too many variations of appearance in Ancient and Dark Age armies for us to represent all of them within our available budget.

Some compromises have been made in order to get the game (and DLCs) out at all.
I'd like to know why the protection rating of hirdsman as "protected" but huscarl as "armoured"?
Because of the models.You didn't see that?Hirdsmen models are totally no armor and helmets.
I doubt that is the reason they have protected status. It is likely that some men with helm and byrnie vs many without doesn’t justify the leap from protected to armoured. After all, uniformly equipped later hoplites (helm, linothorax and grieves) are “merely” protected as well.

SnuggleBunnies
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:09 am

Re: Give the shieldwall unit some helmets like Dailami foot and make hirdsmen armoured?

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:40 pm

To be fair, while the hoplites are portrayed uniformly, it's likely that by the Pelopponesian War few hoplites wore body armor at all, with the majority simply equipped with shield, spear, and open faced pylos style helmet. In addition, armor status is not universal but is relative to what else is available at the time - so a Protected unit in 1500 might be wearing a brigandine and steel helmet, while a Protected unit in 400 BC has a shield and bronze helmet.

Post Reply

Return to “Field of Glory II”