A Guide to the True Rules of FoGII

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

A Guide to the True Rules of FoGII

Post by Geffalrus »

Sure, rbodleyscott and company put out a "manual" that lists all the "official" rules of the game, but anyone who's played this game in multiplayer knows that the - ACTUAL - rules of FoGII are a little different.......and, shall we say, more draconian. :twisted:

(Legal Disclaimer: This is not an actual guide or any sort of attempt at a serious handling of the subject. It is instead a tongue-in-cheek collection of pessimistic viewpoints on how the game works sometimes. Anyone who has played me in the Digital League has probably witnessed my strange penchant for pessimism about the fate of my army.......even when I am in possession of a 10% lead with flanking forces in place and ready to go. What can I say, there are many approaches to battle. Feel free to add your own satirical FoGII rules in the comments.)

Fundamental Mechanics

1) Everything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong when you least expect it.

2) That's it, that's the only mechanic.

Rules of Ranged Combat

- All units and numbers being equal, your opponent will disrupt your units with 2 volleys, while it will take 3 volleys from your units to do the same.

- You hold your fire so as to gain the no-movement damage bonus next turn; as such, your opponent fires first and your units are disrupted, rendering your choice moot.

- You fire first to hopefully disrupt your opponent, only to watch them hold firm. The return volley mows down your troops like a scythe through wheat.

- You can shoot lightly armored zealots as much as you like, they will never fail a cohesion test.

- You will somehow always run out of ammo before your opponent does. (Thanks Killroy)

Much Ado About Melee Combat

- Enemy impact foot charges will hit your line like a ton of bricks. Meanwhile, your own impact foot will clearly be armed with plastic squeaky hammers when charging the enemy.

- The high quality heavy infantry you trust to hold the line will double drop to Fragmented as soon as it is most inconvenient.

- The garbage quality medium infantry you desperately need to roll over with your cavalry will hold firm for multiple turns, no matter their cohesion state.

- A negative melee result of 10% is more likely to happen than the positive result of 50% that you really need RIGHT NOW PLEASE GOD. This is a fact.

- Light cavalry are functionally immortal in melee combat. Especially vs. pikes. :wink:

- Someone tied the laces of the running shoes of your foot skirmishers together.

- Enemy skirmishers make Usain Bolt look like some kid with asthma and a limp.

- When breaking one of your units, enemy cavalry will magically find the nearest unguarded bottom, and just start spanking. The result will be what can only be described as a cascade of terror.

- When breaking an enemy unit, your cavalry will go on an extensive road trip somewhere far, far away from the battlefield.

- Your lights will choose to evade, rather than stand, when charged by even inferior troops.

- Your evaders will choose the worst possible path by which to flee. (Thanks Karvon)

Morale of the Story

- None of your superior routers rally.

- Expect enough enemy routers to rally to deny you victory, especially on the last turn. (Courtesy of Karvon)

Terrain

- If you have a cavalry army, the spawned battlefield will feature more mountains than Switzerland.

- If you have a heavy infantry army, the battlefield will be rockier than the surface of the moon.

- If you rely on medium infantry, enjoy the open steppe that shall be your final resting place.

- As soon as the map loads, it's over Anakin, because your opponent has the high ground.

~Fin~
Last edited by Geffalrus on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: A Guide to the True Rules of FoGII

Post by kilroy1 »

Rules of Ranged Combat

- While your units are being disrupted they also run out of arrows/javelins before your opponent's units do.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

Never mind the game, that all sounds like my life!
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
stephenterrell
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by stephenterrell »

This is all so very true!
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

absolutely brilliant summary of the game (no offence RBS)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:10 pm absolutely brilliant summary of the game (no offence RBS)
Well it is certainly a good description of the effects of Confirmation Bias.

The sad thing is that some people really believe that these phenomena are built into the game, (rather than the manifestation of “Sod’s Law”) and conclude that the game is cheating. It isn’t, but just try to convince them that the “evidence of their own eyes” isn’t in fact valid. (Without using the term “Confirmation Bias”, as they will interpret that as a personal insult rather than an inevitable facet of human nature that affects us all to a greater or lesser extent).
Richard Bodley Scott

Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

LOL! Brilliant! Also don't forget that when your cavalry pursue a defeated foe they will end their move with their flanks exposed to enemy cavalry.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm
TimDee58 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:10 pm absolutely brilliant summary of the game (no offence RBS)

The sad thing is that some people really believe that these phenomena are built into the game, (rather than the manifestion of “Sod’s Law”) and conclude that the game is cheating. It isn’t, but just try to convince them that the “evidence of their own eyes” isn’t in fact valid. (Without using the term “Confirmation Bias”, as they will interpret that as a personal insult rather than an inevitable facet of human nature that affects us all to a greater or lesser extent).
Beware when Confirmation Bias is actually disguising something else because of the cognitive bias to the tendency itself :-)

PS I better add that I do not think the game is cheating and it indeed is a result of Sod's Law or a master hacker with too much time on their hands.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Your superior troops fail most of their CTs while your opponent's average guys heroically fight through multiple ones.

None of your superior routers rally.

Expect enough enemy routers to rally to deny you victory, especially on the last turn.

Your lights will choose to evade, rather than stand, when charged by even inferior troops.

Your evaders will choose the worst possible path by which to flee.

Enemy fragmented units will fight till the last man and hold fast when charged. Yours will fold at the first opportunity.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

IMHO, this measure of uncertainty and unpredictability that, at times, might have a domino effect is part of what makes FoGII/P&S thrilling and fun. And both sides can enjoy it.

I like the idea of not controlling all that happens on the battlefield.

iirc a general said something like : always make a battle plan but when the battle starts, you can as well throw it away.

A charging unit carried by momentum and enthusiasm pursues a defeated enemy and, at times, finds itself in a bad situation ; an (overexcited) weak unit resists for a while an unit that is stronger on the paper, etc. That's life.

Will the charge of my cavalry be effective ? Maybe, maybe not... That's exciting. And helps for role playing.

Just my two cents :-)
Last edited by Athos1660 on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Karvon wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:41 pm Expect enough enemy routers to rally to deny you victory, especially on the last turn.
This is so true, it might as well be the trademarked name of the game. :lol:
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm Well it is certainly a good description of the effects of Confirmation Bias.

The sad thing is that some people really believe that these phenomena are built into the game, (rather than the manifestion of “Sod’s Law”) and conclude that the game is cheating. It isn’t, but just try to convince them that the “evidence of their own eyes” isn’t in fact valid. (Without using the term “Confirmation Bias”, as they will interpret that as a personal insult rather than an inevitable facet of human nature that affects us all to a greater or lesser extent).
Full agreement, even as I am guilty of this more times than I will ever admit. Humans are notoriously bad at processing the perception of patterns existing within a random universe or system.
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by cromlechi »

Athos1660 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:55 pm IMHO, this measure of uncertainty and unpredictability that, at times, might have a domino effect is part of what makes FoGII/P&S thrilling and fun. And both sides can enjoy it.

I like the idea of not controlling all that happens on the battlefield.

iirc a general said something like : always make a battle plan but when the battle starts, you can as well throw it away.

A charging unit carried by momentum and enthusiasm pursues a defeated enemy and, at times, finds itself in a bad situation ; an (overexcited) weak unit resists for a while an unit that is stronger on the paper, etc. That's life.

Will the charge of my cavalry be effective ? Maybe, maybe not... That's exciting. And helps for role playing.

Just my two cents :-)
Agree 100 percent, that's why the game is so popular. You can never be sure what will happen. It's like gambling, sometimes you get lucky and other times not but it's quite addictive and there's plenty of consistently good players to indicate the luck element is not overdone. I think if the balance was shifted too much the other way it would end up being like chess, essentially a game of calculation. My only peeve is when I have to listen to opponent whinge about their poor luck all the time.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

cromlechi wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 pm Agree 100 percent, that's why the game is so popular. You can never be sure what will happen. It's like gambling, sometimes you get lucky and other times not but it's quite addictive and there's plenty of consistently good players to indicate the luck element is not overdone. I think if the balance was shifted too much the other way it would end up being like chess, essentially a game of calculation. My only peeve is when I have to listen to opponent whinge about their poor luck all the time.
That's it! P&S/FoG2 are very good at balancing the effects of rationality/tactics and luck/happenstance, as in life :-)
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

Nothing new but Murphy's law.
Meditans ex luce mundi
pompeytheflatulent

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

- Leeroy will always pursue skirmishers up to the opposing line and then spin the whole unit 90 degrees in order to moon the enemy.

- Superior and armored horse archers will attempt to show off their superior horsemanship by evading towards the nearest treeline/enclosure, or in a zigzag pattern. This will inevitably result in them being caught and routed by trash tier cavalry.

- The pinning attack for your decisive flank charge will always drop cohesion and fall back. Always.
gbaby
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by gbaby »

- The Enemy rally bugler will always play a symphony while your rally bugler will have forgotten his bugle back in the rear encampment.
Najanaja

Post by Najanaja »

In other words, just like real war. Or so my reading would suggest.
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm

The sad thing is that some people really believe that these phenomena are built into the game, (rather than the manifestation of “Sod’s Law”) and conclude that the game is cheating. It isn’t, but just try to convince them that the “evidence of their own eyes” isn’t in fact valid. (Without using the term “Confirmation Bias”, as they will interpret that as a personal insult rather than an inevitable facet of human nature that affects us all to a greater or lesser extent).
I much appreciate the design and it strikes me as hitting a sweet spot in the balance between play-ability/accessibility and reality.
Moltke's main thesis was that military strategy had to be understood as a system of options since it was only possible to plan the beginning of a military operation. As a result, he considered the main task of military leaders to consist in the extensive preparation of all possible outcomes.[3] His thesis can be summed up by two statements, one famous and one less so, translated into English as "No plan of operations extends with certainty beyond the first encounter with the enemy's main strength" (or "no plan survives contact with the enemy")[5] and "Strategy is a system of expedients"
The only thing that strikes me as pushing the suspension of disbelief is that cavalry are so slow and static.
Benedict151
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Benedict151 »

"Cascade of Terror"

Very good, I will need to borrow that for tabletop gaming … it would have been most apt for what happened to my army the other day

Return to “Field of Glory II”