Show me the path to greatness!

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Show me the path to greatness!

Post by ShahMat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:10 pm

So, I finally bought the game with all DLCs included (the bundle), now someone can be so kind to show me the path to mastery? :mrgreen:

Videos, guides, AARs, everything that can be helpful for a newcomer.

Your truly pupil!

SnuggleBunnies
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Show me the path to greatness!

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Honestly the best thing to do is turn on detailed tooltips and play vs the AI for awhile. When you're ready set up some MP matches with a note saying you're newer and want some guidance/advice as you play.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Athos1660
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Athos1660 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:54 pm

- Follow any advice given by SnuggleBunnies. They are good ones. :-)
- You can also play the in-game Tutorials. They are enlightening.
- Thereafter, reading the game manual will be essential, especially pp. 29-103 about the game mechanisms/rules.

Have fun.

Paul59
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Paul59 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:04 pm

This video series is meant to be very good:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 77&t=81192
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Yes, a few of the nitty gritty details are slightly out of date due to patching, but Mike's guides remain a great resource. The Tooltips and manual can tell you about all the calculations, but experience is the only to get better at initial deployment and overall battlefield-wide strategy.

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:29 am

Activated all detailed tooltips.
I've already read the manual/Read me file.
Thanks for video series, I'll watch all beginner's guides.
Played all three tutorials!
Now I'm going to play some quick battles.

I'm quite happy with my purchase, what a game!

Mord
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am

ShahMat wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:29 am
I'm quite happy with my purchase, what a game!
It is a really great game. I spent a year going back and forth on whether to buy it and when I did it became one of my all time favorite games (top 2). The battles can get quite immersive and suck you in. As abstract as some of the play might seem I find it cinematic and always catch myself imagining the individual fights and maneuvers as if the game displayed every dust and blood splattered detail. There's a ton of high drama to be found if you just let it happen, and man, waiting for the outcome of the enemy's turn can be nail biting at times.

Right around the 150 hour mark I tried MP and that is fun as well. I didn't think I'd like it but I did. It adds another level of tension and self doubt knowing another brain is on the other end of the turn. I still mostly play QBs against the AI but multiplayer adds a whole new dimension to it. I am at the 260 hour mark now and I am not even close to being tired of the game. I took a break to mod and wait for the new dlc but my love hasn't waned a bit.

I found just watching people play on YouTube also teaches you a lot. Here's a few playlists I created that are a lot of fun to watch when you are eating or just want something different. Keep in mind that some of them are older so rules/armies may have changed some since then. Over all they'll still keep you entertained and learning the ins and outs. It's amazing how invested you can get in some of the outcomes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sOprL0JR-C

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -9KD9Y-a49

I haven't got around to adding them to my Playlists but Waz and Richard Yorke also have a ton of FoG II content that is enjoyable and informative.

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:51 pm

I just played three QBs today (yes a busy day :lol: ) on Tribune difficult, and even if I am very far to understand the correct unit matchups the AI is so kind to let me win anyway.
Fight against the Romans is pretty hard.

I love watching the enemy turn, the ebb and flow of combat results is really fun.

Thanks for all YouTube playlists, I will be busy for hours!

Btw, great community here :D

Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:29 pm

ShahMat wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:51 pm
I just played three QBs today (yes a busy day :lol: )

I love watching the enemy turn, the ebb and flow of combat results is really fun.

Thanks for all YouTube playlists, I will be busy for hours!

Btw, great community here :D
QBs (I really mean Custom Battles) can get quite addicting, for a while I was playing two per day. I'd go through phases jumping to specific eras. You'll probably develop some favorites after a while. Right now mine are Diadochi match ups, Assyrians vs Phoenicians or others, Alexander vs Indians, and Viking vs Northern European type armies.

And yes, the ebb and flow of the attacks and counter attacks, the shifting of the lines, the way a flank or center crumbles and redefines the key areas of the battlefield are all part of the dramatics that keep me playing. I had a phalanx vs phalanx battle once (Antigonids vs Seleucids I think) where the entire line shifted a near perfect 90 degrees from where we started. It got so clustered during the transition my lights (javs and archers) were scrambling to get out of the way. It was a killer fight.

You are welcome. I watch them some times when I lay in bed and just want to vegetate. Youtube has replaced 90% of my viewing entertainment. It's the perfect platform (if they don't destroy it first). I'll watch some Kings & Generals, Flash Point History, Horrorbabble, hit a Combat Mission play through, or binge some FoG II. It's the greatest visual media platform ever created (no matter how niche the interest someone on there has a channel catering to it) and they are doing everything they can to wipe it out. Damn shame.

Anyway, enjoy the game, sounds like you are hooked so you have untold hours of fun ahead of you.

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by vakarr » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 am

I have created some instructional videos for new and old players here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gb4PStcRts My latest one is about Field of Glory Cavalry, but that isn't quite finished yet. There is one about Zones of Control, which have a very significant effect on the game, and another about terrain.

Once you have learnt how to play Field of Glory 2, you may like to try Field of Glory Empires. Here's some videos about that: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2GN4SlleWH

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:55 pm

Everything is new and I still have to play all the expansions, countless hours of entertainment awaiting me.
It has definitively hooked me!

Thanks for your videos, very well done and informative!
I watched all of them, I like the presentation form. Am I too bold asking to share the slides? :oops:
Suddenly I want to try a Thracian army...

Field of Glory Empires is another game that I am closely following, should be the next logical step on my ancient wargaming digital path.

Btw, do you know if it possible to watch save replays?
It would be good for learning.

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:35 pm

Replays are on the requested list. Richard said it would be hard to do but it does seem to be on the list of things that they will try and see if it is feasible. One can hope...

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info, like in chess you learn a lot replaying your games :)

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:48 am

Yes you can share the slideshows, no problem. If you have an NVIDIA video card it comes with GeForce Experience, which if you press Alt-Z or Alt-F9 during play will allow you to record and playback your games (also has an instant playback option). The best army to start with is the Romans as they have so many rules protecting them from nefarious people like the Thracians - but I won 7 out of 9 games in a recent tournament (coming equal second) using a classical Thracian army with Greek allies, so once you have got the hang of it, I would love to see how you go with one of the many Thracian armies. I will have the cavalry video finished soon.

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Sorry, I mean if you can share the slides in your videos with me :)

I just tryed with GeForce Experience but being a normal recording software you cannot see the whole map or unit statistics, and of course all dead time is still present, better than nothing anyhow.

I am playing five MP games (two are mirrors), two with Romans/Macedonians, one Lysimachid and two with Turkish/Arab cavarly armies, what a mess!
Thracians will follow.

Looking forward to your next video!

Barrold713
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Barrold713 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Richard Yorke is a fine fellow who shares many of his MP matches on his channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP16VT ... g/featured

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Thanks, at the moment I am watching the Beginner's Guide Video Series by MikeC_81, great stuff!

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 pm

I have updated my Cavalry video, it is now in two parts. The first part is here: https://youtu.be/xs0cPxbLnoA

ShahMat
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ShahMat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:36 am

vakarr wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:05 pm
I have updated my Cavalry video, it is now in two parts. The first part is here: https://youtu.be/xs0cPxbLnoA
Thanks!

What are the new topics respect the previous one?

pinwolf
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by pinwolf » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:18 pm

vakarr wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:31 am
I have created some instructional videos for new and old players here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gb4PStcRts My latest one is about Field of Glory Cavalry, but that isn't quite finished yet. There is one about Zones of Control, which have a very significant effect on the game, and another about terrain.
Thank you very much for this.
A little suggestion - the loud music makes it very difficult to follow your spoken lecture. English is not my first language, so it get's really arduous.

Return to “Field of Glory II”