New FOG2 DLC?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Sjovarg
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

New FOG2 DLC?

Post by Sjovarg » Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 am

Hello all, I'm a new player, and had a quick question for you guys regarding DLCs.
I'm mostly interested in DLCs that cover the far east, and the renaissance period, but haven't really seen any that cover either. I know the physical game has renaissance and a far east book, is slitherine planning on bringing these to FOG2? As far as I've seen, the last DLC was about a year ago.

SnuggleBunnies
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: New FOG2 DLC?

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Tue May 26, 2020 3:48 am

https://www.slitherine.com/game/sengoku ... the-shogun

https://www.slitherine.com/game/pike-and-shot-campaigns

The plan as far as I know is for FoGII to cover 2000BC - 1500AD. I *think* it will continue to cover the geographic areas it has covered so far. However, Byzantine Games also created Sengoku Jidai and Pike and Shot, which, based on the Field of Glory Renaissance tabletop system, cover 1500-1700 in the Far East and Europe respectively.

My guess, unfounded on any information whatsoever but just on gut feeling, is for High Medieval to be next. If I'm wrong, the next likely one is Biblical.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Swuul
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Swuul » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am

We know there is something in the works, whether it is a DLC or a whole new game has not been revealed. For example yesterday RBS said in the Open Beta forum there will be no new animations for next patch, as "all available art time is going on another forthcoming project".
viewtopic.php?f=603&t=99196

For far east there is the excellent Silk Road mod, which was created by Jomni and is endorsed by "offical" folks. It is quite excellent, essentially a "free DLC" in my opinion :) You can download it from inside the game, so very easy to install and use too :)
viewtopic.php?f=477&t=81314
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Athos1660
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Athos1660 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 am

The next DLC might be about golf and football, something about the Remontada by Barcelona on the PSG during the 2016–17 Champions League, but I am not entirely sure so don't take my word for it.

SLancaster
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by SLancaster » Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 am

Top secret intel that cannot be shared.

Cunningcairn
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Cunningcairn » Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am

Sjovarg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 am
Hello all, I'm a new player, and had a quick question for you guys regarding DLCs.
I'm mostly interested in DLCs that cover the far east, and the renaissance period, but haven't really seen any that cover either. I know the physical game has renaissance and a far east book, is slitherine planning on bringing these to FOG2? As far as I've seen, the last DLC was about a year ago.
There are a number of Far Eastern armies already available in FOG2. Have a look at the Silk Road mod which you can download from the game itself. viewtopic.php?f=477&t=81314

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am

Swuul wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am
We know there is something in the works, whether it is a DLC or a whole new game has not been revealed. For example yesterday RBS said in the Open Beta forum there will be no new animations for next patch, as "all available art time is going on another forthcoming project".

For far east there is the excellent Silk Road mod, which was created by Jomni and is endorsed by "offical" folks. It is quite excellent, essentially a "free DLC" in my opinion :) You can download it from inside the game, so very easy to install and use too :)
I'd love an official DLC with Chinese and Eastern steppe armies, battles, and campaigns. Could also be interesting for these to face Hellenistic and Roman armies during the first centuries AD.
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

Cunningcairn

Post by Cunningcairn » Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am

kronenblatt wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:43 am
Swuul wrote:

I'd love an official DLC with Chinese and Eastern steppe armies, battles, and campaigns. Could also be interesting for these to face Hellenistic and Roman armies during the first centuries AD.
You can already do that. See my post above.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Tue May 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Cunningcairn wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am
kronenblatt wrote:
Swuul wrote:

Yep, saw that: I'd like to have an official DLC with that scope, that's all. Could involve inspiration and features from that mod, but formalised into an official DLC, along with a patch update, along with future undertaking of maintenance.

But having said that, I will look into the mod too.
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

Swuul

Post by Swuul » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Cunningcairn wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am
kronenblatt wrote:
Swuul wrote:

Or you could perhaps read the message that was quoted??? :D
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Sjovarg

Post by Sjovarg » Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

SnuggleBunnies wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:48 am
https://www.slitherine.com/game/sengoku ... the-shogun

https://www.slitherine.com/game/pike-and-shot-campaigns

The plan as far as I know is for FoGII to cover 2000BC - 1500AD. I *think* it will continue to cover the geographic areas it has covered so far. However, Byzantine Games also created Sengoku Jidai and Pike and Shot, which, based on the Field of Glory Renaissance tabletop system, cover 1500-1700 in the Far East and Europe respectively.
Ok cool, I was just a little discouraged because it has been about a year since the last DLC, they were released with more regularity before that, I think.
Swuul wrote:

Excellent! I downloaded most of it as soon as I found out, but can't download single player custom battles for some weird reason, it just says some error.
Thanks guys for the help

Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart » Wed May 27, 2020 1:13 pm

This inquiry has been raised before, some months ago now. The official response has been that the development of the game is still supported and something ' ... big ... ' is being worked on and, by implication now for a number of months; personally I would hope that does not mean the co-opting of fan's work.
However, the original FoG PC game had at least one DLC advertised that never came out, so perhaps if you are a new player or considering purchasing the game it would be prudent to just accept the game as it is and enjoy that.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed May 27, 2020 1:43 pm

Bladeheart wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:13 pm
This inquiry has been raised before, some months ago now. The official response has been that the development of the game is still supported and something ' ... big ... ' is being worked on and, by implication now for a number of months; personally I would hope that does not mean the co-opting of fan's work.
It does not.
Richard Bodley Scott

Latro

Post by Latro » Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 pm

I get the impression that the development of the game is nearing its end. Therefore my guess is that the 'Big Update' will include the Bronze Age PLUS the rest of the medieval era.

And hey, maybe even Aztecs and Maya...

Richard can then go live off his well earned pension somewhere in the Maledives.

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by 76mm » Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm

dunno, doesn't seem like there is any reason to lump a bunch of DLCs together when they could be issued gradually over time to maintain interest in the game.

If something "big" is coming, maybe it will be something quite different, such as FOG Napoleon, etc.

Latro

Post by Latro » Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm

FOG Napoleon would require an entirely different engine to reflect Napoleonic warfare. It would still mean the end of development for this current game, as all resources would go into the new one.
I certainly would welcome a FOG:Napoleon but this game needs to be finished first.

76mm

Post by 76mm » Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 pm

Latro wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:03 pm
FOG Napoleon would require an entirely different engine to reflect Napoleonic warfare. It would still mean the end of development for this current game, as all resources would go into the new one.
Well, all resources have been going to something else lately?

Personally I don't expect much more feature growth from this game--just occasional tweaks to the game engine--so future development of FOG2 might mainly consist of new army lists and artwork. If so, I don't think that putting out a Napoleonic game would mean the end of this one, they could continue to publish both, albeit more slowly. That said, I think we'd have heard if a Napoleonic version were coming out soon, so I don't really think that is it...

MVP7
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by MVP7 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Personally I suspect the new big project could be 11th to 14th century medieval expansion. It would also make sense to offer such major era as an alternative starting module so that people interested mainly in medieval period wouldn't have to buy the Rise of Rome era first.

I wouldn't expect some massive final expansion with a ton of eras and areas. It has been unusually long since that last expansion but it seems like Panzer Corps 2 kept the art department busy for the end of 2019 and early 2020 so FoG2 dlc was probably on hold for a while.

76mm

Post by 76mm » Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 pm

MVP7 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm
Personally I suspect the new big project could be 11th to 14th century medieval expansion. It would also make sense to offer such major era as an alternative starting module so that people interested mainly in medieval period wouldn't have to buy the Rise of Rome era first.
Maybe that's it, but how would that work? As a DLC for people who already own FOG2, and a new game for people that only want the medieval content? Have we seen something like that before?

Sjovarg

Post by Sjovarg » Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 am

76mm wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 pm
dunno, doesn't seem like there is any reason to lump a bunch of DLCs together when they could be issued gradually over time to maintain interest in the game.

If something "big" is coming, maybe it will be something quite different, such as FOG Napoleon, etc.
My fear is that it will end and the rest of the interesting DLCs will never come out.
finding out about the silk road downloadable content was great, Americas would be amazing too.

Return to “Field of Glory II”