Quick Questions Thread on Rules

BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Quick Questions Thread on Rules

Post by BMAXIMUS »

I thought autobreak worked only when the unit had to do a cohesion test. But the other I had the two units of the same melee autobreaking which was a bit suprising.
I guess then that the autobreak is triggered only on damage whatever the result of the fight (even if it "wins"). Am I right ?
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

BMAXIMUS wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:54 pm I thought autobreak worked only when the unit had to do a cohesion test. But the other I had the two units of the same melee autobreaking which was a bit suprising.
I guess then that the autobreak is triggered only on damage whatever the result of the fight (even if it "wins"). Am I right ?
Yes, whenever strength is below the threshold (around 50% of original strength for average), the unit autobreaks.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
grahamed
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by grahamed »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:14 pm
BMAXIMUS wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:54 pm I thought autobreak worked only when the unit had to do a cohesion test. But the other I had the two units of the same melee autobreaking which was a bit suprising.
Yes, whenever strength is below the threshold (around 50% of original strength for average), the unit autobreaks.
So if , after auto break, you take a test (eg general joins) and pass, presumably you recover as normal ? If you take further casualties do you auto break again or is it only the once?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

grahamed wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:01 pm So if , after auto break, you take a test (eg general joins) and pass, presumably you recover as normal ? If you take further casualties do you auto break again or is it only the once?
Autobroken units can never rally
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:50 pm
grahamed wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:01 pm So if , after auto break, you take a test (eg general joins) and pass, presumably you recover as normal ? If you take further casualties do you auto break again or is it only the once?
Ahh thanks
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:50 pm
Raw and below average units autobreak at levels above 50%, right? Such as 60 and 55%, respectively. And technically, since units cannot rally if below 50% (isn't that the formal rule), those units could auto break and still rally (if at least 50% strength)?
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm Raw and below average units autobreak at levels above 50%, right? Such as 60 and 55%, respectively. And technically, since units cannot rally if below 50% (isn't that the formal rule), those units could auto break and still rally (if at least 50% strength)?
No, autobroken units never rally
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:01 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm Raw and below average units autobreak at levels above 50%, right? Such as 60 and 55%, respectively. And technically, since units cannot rally if below 50% (isn't that the formal rule), those units could auto break and still rally (if at least 50% strength)?
Snuggle/Kronen I cant find anything in the manual about 50% or all autobroken units not rallying, do you know where this is set out?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:12 pm
SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:01 pm
Snuggle/Kronen I cant find anything in the manual about 50% or all autobroken units not rallying, do you know where this is set out?
It may not say so in the manual, but autobroken units never test for rallying, so cannot ever rally.
Richard Bodley Scott

grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Thanks thats clear, though it would be better if it was published in the manual, or at least in the patch notes, otherwise someone might mistakenly join a general to it in a hopeless vain attempt to rally.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 am Thanks thats clear, though it would be better if it was published in the manual, or at least in the patch notes, otherwise someone might mistakenly join a general to it in a hopeless vain attempt to rally.
True.

Although even if they could rally, that would be a pretty daft thing to do as they would Autobreak again as soon as they suffered any further casualties.
Richard Bodley Scott

vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 am
grahamed wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 am Thanks thats clear, though it would be better if it was published in the manual, or at least in the patch notes, otherwise someone might mistakenly join a general to it in a hopeless vain attempt to rally.
True.

Although even if they could rally, that would be a pretty daft thing to do as they would Autobreak again as soon as they suffered any further casualties.
Exactly
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:41 am
True.

Er, yes, well that was my original question,

….“ after auto break, you take a test (eg general joins) and pass, presumably you recover as normal ? If you take further casualties do you auto break again or is it only the once?” ….

Because whilst that may be the way its coded and indeed the intention, it is not at all clear in the manual and could be read as autobreak when you pass the [half] strength boundary, and given there are ( albeit rare) stories of units fighting on until destroyed such an interpretation is not entirely unreasonable

Still its very clear now, a unit below half strength is all but as useful as a unit thats dispersed, or routed off table ( unless you ate looking for some moving, but impassable terrain!)
Badger73
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Badger73 »

grahamed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 pm Still its very clear now, a unit below half strength is all but as useful as a unit that's dispersed, or routed off table ( unless you ate looking for some moving, but impassable terrain!)
Although, for competition purposes, does not a unit below half strength still count as "combat effective" for scoring purposes, while dispersed and routed units count as losses? Wouldn't that make preserving them worth your while?
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Badger73 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm
grahamed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:28 pm Still its very clear now, a unit below half strength is all but as useful as a unit that's dispersed, or routed off table ( unless you ate looking for some moving, but impassable terrain!)
Although, for competition purposes, does not a unit below half strength still count as "combat effective" for scoring purposes, while dispersed and routed units count as losses? Wouldn't that make preserving them worth your while?
Badger, i’m confused, if a unit below half strength autobreaks and can’t rally surely it does not count?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

grahamed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:15 pm
Badger, i’m confused, if a unit below half strength autobreaks and can’t rally surely it does not count?
I think Badger thought you were talking about unbroken units that are below half strength.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Only average or below average morale units break at half strength. Units that are above average, superior, etc need to loose more than half strength to autobreak.
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Paul59 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:22 pm
grahamed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:15 pm

I think Badger thought you were talking about unbroken units that are below half strength.
Yes, that's what I was referencing.
grahamed

Post by grahamed »

Ok thanks.

For clarity my question was intended to be does a unit which passes the autobreak threshold ( below half strength for an average unit) have no more “value” or usefulness than a dispersed unit, other than as a mobile obstacle . Compared to say a broken unit which does at least have a chance to rally?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahamed wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 pm Ok thanks.

For clarity my question was intended to be does a unit which passes the autobreak threshold ( below half strength for an average unit) have no more “value” or usefulness than a dispersed unit, other than as a mobile obstacle . Compared to say a broken unit which does at least have a chance to rally?
It has no more “value” than a dispersed unit. It is only not taken off immediately because the enemy may pursue.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Frequently Asked Questions”