Quick Questions Thread on Rules

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Quick Questions Thread on Rules

Post by kronenblatt »

This thread serves the (hopefully useful) purpose of gathering all simple and short questions on FoG II rules that can be answered with a yes, no or maximum a couple of sentences, instead of every such question being asked in a separate thread. Then it would be more simple for newbies and other people to get an overview of common questions on rules through this thread. (Although I'm currently the one asking all simple, basic and stupid questions at the moment, it may be that other people find them and their answers useful, now or in the future, and this thread then makes them easier to find.)

So ask all simple and short questions on FoG II rules that can be answered with a yes, no or maximum a couple of sentences in this thread. And when answering a question in here, please Reply with quote so that it's clear which question the answer refers to.

Here's a link to a chart on PoA adjustments as provided by CaptainPunka.

Below is also a list of older threads with questions (and answers) on rules (if some are missing and should be added to the list, please PM me):

Last edited by kronenblatt on Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 am, edited 34 times in total.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Re: Quick Questions Thread on Rules

Post by kronenblatt »

In the case of a unit evading a charge, does the charging unit "always" pursue (with its remaining AP's), or are there exceptions so that it actually halts after the charge?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:41 pm In the case of a unit evading a charge, does the charging unit "always" pursue (with its remaining AP's), or are there exceptions so that it actually halts after the charge?
It always pursues, unless the enemy unit was fragmented and broke from testing for being charged, in which case normal pursuit rules apply.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

1. 12.1.1: Non-light troops ignore the ZOC of light troops. => does this apply between infantry and cavaly as well, e.g., medium foot ignoring ZoC of light horse?

2. 12.4.1: Light troops (light foot and light horse) are allowed one free turn in any direction. => does this require them to be in command range?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:49 am 1. 12.1.1: Non-light troops ignore the ZOC of light troops. => does this apply between infantry and cavaly as well, e.g., medium foot ignoring ZoC of light horse?
Yes
2. 12.4.1: Light troops (light foot and light horse) are allowed one free turn in any direction. => does this require them to be in command range?
No.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

12.6 of the Manual says: "if a fall back move is performed when within charge reach of a nonrouting non-light enemy unit (whether or not that enemy is actually in a position to charge), the falling back unit will take a Cohesion Test."

What's charge reach?

I sometimes use to fall back when my own charge has caused an evasion of the light enemy unit being charged.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

How many AP's are needed in order to charge?

My reason for asking is that a heavy infantry (with 10 AP at start of turn) moved diagonally in open terrain, consuming 6 AP, with 4 AP left. This was insufficient to charge diagonally. So is a charge considered a move into the target square, AP wise?

DanZanzibar
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by DanZanzibar »

I think it is but I have seen units do fallback CT’s when no one could have charged them next turn. I now assume if someone can move to an adjacent square next move you can’t fallback for free but I would love to know if this is factual.

Edit: "I think it is..." generally but not in this case. For instance, the "threatened flank" for evading purposes I believe considers it threatened only if a unit can actually charge next turn. I don't think it is that clear-cut here...
DanZanzibar

Post by DanZanzibar »

I just saw that you added all those links to the original post! Fantastic job and thank you. Not surprisingly my question was answered there.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:49 pm How many AP's are needed in order to charge?

My reason for asking is that a heavy infantry (with 10 AP at start of turn) moved diagonally in open terrain, consuming 6 AP, with 4 AP left. This was insufficient to charge diagonally. So is a charge considered a move into the target square, AP wise?
Yes
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:23 pm 12.6 of the Manual says: "if a fall back move is performed when within charge reach of a nonrouting non-light enemy unit (whether or not that enemy is actually in a position to charge), the falling back unit will take a Cohesion Test."

What's charge reach?

I sometimes use to fall back when my own charge has caused an evasion of the light enemy unit being charged.
There is no test to see if the unit can actually charge. The falling back unit tests cohesion if the distance between the units is the base AP (of the enemy unit) / 4 or closer.

This probably reflects massed human psychology better than a rigorous analysis of whether the enemy can actually charge.

Essentially it is a simple proximity test.

It has also been left deliberately vague by design to make it sometimes uncertain whether a unit must test or not.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Thread Stickied
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:43 am
kronenblatt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:49 pm How many AP's are needed in order to charge?

Yes
rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:46 am
kronenblatt wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:23 pm 12.6 of the Manual says: "if a fall back move is performed when within charge reach of a nonrouting non-light enemy unit (whether or not that enemy is actually in a position to charge), the falling back unit will take a Cohesion Test."

What's charge reach?

There is no test to see if the unit can actually charge. The falling back unit tests cohesion if the distance between the units is the base AP (of the enemy unit) / 4 or closer.

This probably reflects massed human psychology better than a rigorous analysis of whether the enemy can actually charge.

Essentially it is a simple proximity test.

It has also been left deliberately vague by design to make it sometimes uncertain whether a unit must test or not.
The human psychology was working on me as well, and also the uncertainty. So I really NEEDED to ask that question to get certainty. :)
rbodleyscott wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:56 am Thread Stickied
Thanks for all above, Richard!

rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior »

I have one, from someone with three MP tournaments under their belt (not an expert by any means, but not a newbie) - I noticed the other night that holding down control on an empty square gives you a tooltip about the terrain (which was new to me, or at least if I knew it before I’d forgotten). I noticed built up areas say they provide protection from flank attacks for defending foot. Does this reduce flank attack PoA? Negate the auto drop? Both?

Also, does this apply to both flank and rear charges? I assume so, since the game really doesn’t differentiate between the two.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rs2excelsior wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:15 pm I have one, from someone with three MP tournaments under their belt (not an expert by any means, but not a newbie) - I noticed the other night that holding down control on an empty square gives you a tooltip about the terrain (which was new to me, or at least if I knew it before I’d forgotten). I noticed built up areas say they provide protection from flank attacks for defending foot. Does this reduce flank attack PoA? Negate the auto drop? Both?

Also, does this apply to both flank and rear charges? I assume so, since the game really doesn’t differentiate between the two.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. :) See page 74 of the manual, fourth bullet point below:
20200605_205649.jpg
20200605_205649.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
... unless...
* ... while in a built-up-area.

For foot only, that is.

rs2excelsior

Post by rs2excelsior »

Nice, thanks! And the same applies across obstacles, interesting...
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

On generals:
Can a C-in-C general transfer to any unit within the army during battle, or only to those under his explicit command (set pre-battle)?

(I've read somewhere an advice to never allocate units to C-in-C generals, only to SG generals.)

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 am On generals:
Can a C-in-C general transfer to any unit within the army during battle, or only to those under his explicit command (set pre-battle)?
Cin-C can. SG only to units of his own command.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Added this really good thread to the first post of this sticky.
Especially (but not only) this one part, that may be useful:

... There is a difference between being in command range and not for light troops, though it is subtle. If a light unit that is in command range moves off at exactly 45 degrees, it will still get a free turn at the end, if it is not in command range, it won't...

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

And on roughly the same topic (this was new to me at least):

- Only units with more than 50% of starting strength stand a chance to rally. Whether with or without a general in the unit.
- Autobroken units never rally, even if above 50% of starting strength.

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:03 pmOK, thanks Richard! And only units with more than 50% of starting strength may rally at all?
Yes
rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:12 pm
kronenblatt wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:25 pm Thanks! And autobroken units never rally either, even if above 50% of starting strength?
Correct
Last edited by kronenblatt on Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Frequently Asked Questions”