Quick Questions Thread on Rules

rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Quick Questions Thread on Rules

Post by rs2excelsior »

rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 am
If Fragmented or Disrupted, 40% chace of testing per turn.
Is this chance changed at all based on the unit being engaged, shot at, etc? i.e. does a fragmented unit sitting behind the lines have a better chance to get a rally attempt than a fragmented unit in melee?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

rs2excelsior wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:08 pm
rbodleyscott wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 am
If Fragmented or Disrupted, 40% chace of testing per turn.
Is this chance changed at all based on the unit being engaged, shot at, etc? i.e. does a fragmented unit sitting behind the lines have a better chance to get a rally attempt than a fragmented unit in melee?
No, but consider that a unit cannot test to rally if it dropped cohesion the previous turn. So a unit that is Fragged and in melee will have at least one chance to be defeated again and rout before it can test to rally.
Richard Bodley Scott

Badger73
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Badger73 »

What are the limits to the Advanced Options values? Specifically, what are the Force Points value restrictions? Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Screen_00000015.jpg
Screen_00000015.jpg (607.12 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

In custom battles, there's a limit of 2000 pts.

Out of curiosity, I tried to max out the other settings and found....

Map size limits max out at 64 in each direction
Turn limits... I gave up at 500 mouse clicks, so no idea of the upper limit there :)
Badger73

Post by Badger73 »

Karvon wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:24 am In custom battles, there's a limit of 2000 pts.
<snipped>
Rats! I had hoped that I was doing something incorrectly when encountering that limit. :(
Thanks for checking.
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

If you turn on line of sight, and your unit can see the enemy, can the enemy always see that unit? I have some hidden units and I'm wondering how I can tell when the enemy can see them.
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Karvon »

Depends on where your unit is and what kind. Infantry in woods, marsh or hamlets would be invisible to your enemy unless within 1-2 squares. In other cases, visibility would be equal both ways. Infantry that moves, reveals itself momentarily, but turns invisible again if the enemy are beyond 2 spaces generally.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

I thought light foot only could pass through friendly units back-to-front or front-to-back, all depending on where the unit to be passed through is facing. However, in a MP game just nu I attacked a light foot who evaded and passed through either of these two Iranian Armoured Cavalry (i.e., dotted line or solid line). How is that possible: which rules apply for passing through?
PassingThrough.png
PassingThrough.png (713.47 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Section 12.3 of the Manual says:
Light foot can pass through friendly units, but only directly from front to back
or back to front. They cannot pass through friends that are in close combat.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
vakarr

Post by vakarr »

Evading is different to normal movement. Cavalry for instance can't normally zig-zag around obstacles, but they can do that if evading.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

(1) So when evading, light foot can pass through a friendly unit without that friendly unit being front to back or back to front?
(2) Can evading units then also pass through friendly units that are in close combat?

This was the first time that I saw (1), but I've never seen (2).

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:38 am (1) So when evading, light foot can pass through a friendly unit without that friendly unit being front to back or back to front?
The algorithm for evaders is a bit more generous than the wording would suggest. As you will see they have in fact emerged directly behind the passed through unit, although they did not start directly in front. That was found to be too restrictive for evaders.
(2) Can evading units then also pass through friendly units that are in close combat?
No
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 am
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:38 am (1) So when evading, light foot can pass through a friendly unit without that friendly unit being front to back or back to front?
The algorithm for evaders is a bit more generous than the wording would suggest. As you will see they have in fact emerged directly behind the passed through unit, although they did not start directly in front. That was found to be too restrictive for evaders.
No
Thanks, Richard.

And can evading light foot pass through two (or more) friendly units?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:40 am And can evading light foot pass through two (or more) friendly units?
No
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

And AP cost wise: would this example be 4 FP (considered front-to-back) or 6 FP (considered diagonal)? To understand future chances of successful pass-through evasion.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 am
And AP cost wise: would this example be 4 FP (considered front-to-back) or 6 FP (considered diagonal)? To understand future chances of successful pass-through evasion.
6 FP because the move is front to back, which in this case is diagonal on the map!
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:11 am
kronenblatt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 am

6 FP because the move is front to back, which in this case is diagonal on the map!
Excellent: thanks. Yes, I was a bit sloppy in my use of terminology: instead of front-to-back, I meant non-diagonal. :)

kraff
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by kraff »

Do pursuers ignore ZOC?
irregularscharge.PNG
irregularscharge.PNG (221.64 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
On the attached screenshot irregular foot charged my skirmishers. The former started in position in line with the phalanx there. The latter were in front of my scutarii. My skirmishers evaded and passed through ranks of scutarii. Irregular foot followed with their attack, which became a flanking charge, and smashed into my imitation legionaries, completely ignoring ZOC of my scutarii and disrupting my legionaries.

Is this behaviour expected?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

kraff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:30 am Do pursuers ignore ZOC?

irregularscharge.PNG

On the attached screenshot irregular foot charged my skirmishers. The former started in position in line with the phalanx there. The latter were in front of my scutarii. My skirmishers evaded and passed through ranks of scutarii. Irregular foot followed with their attack, which became a flanking charge, and smashed into my imitation legionaries, completely ignoring ZOC of my scutarii and disrupting my legionaries.

I was as surprised as you when I saw it in one of my own games and asked about it on the forum (will try to find the post), and yes: pursuers ignore ZoC completely so it's working as designed.
Last edited by kronenblatt on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kraff wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:30 am Do pursuers ignore ZOC?

irregularscharge.PNG

Yes. Troops that are pursuing evaders or routers ignore ZOCs.
Richard Bodley Scott

kraff

Post by kraff »

Thank you very much for answers.

Another question: just out of curiosity, how many real life meters are covered by in-game square?

Return to “Field of Glory II: Frequently Asked Questions”