Quick Questions Thread on Rules

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Example of Pursuit

Post by rbodleyscott »

SuitedQueens wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:22 am Altho it's an example from Medieval, mechanics should be the same.
Forum_Question.jpg
We operate under the assumption that all enemy units would run if charged (which is true). Knights is unmaneuvrable unit, so can you clarify those things (when I refer to the square 5 , then it is the square where arrow 5 starts):

1) It wouldn't matter if we block the square where arrow 2 starts in order to alter knight charge path, because turning action doesn't cost anything during Pursuit if we get 25% +4 AP, right? If we roll +0 AP or -4 AP then knight will face forward and stay in the square where arrow 3 starts? But in the same scenario with altered path (by blocking square 2) knight will end up in square 3 facing diagonally or we will face our evading target if they run straight back?

2) If we get +4 AP after initial charge that costs 10 AP. 12 - 10 + 4 = 6 AP is enough to perform arrow 3 move. What if we get +0 AP? We will be stuck or does that mean we won't spend any AP on the arrow 3 move, therefore we will perform it and still have 12 - 10 = 2 AP left?

3) We move into the square 4 with 0 AP left. Same question about +0 AP roll - does it make us stuck or progress further? +4 AP won't allow us to perform arrow 6 move, but we can do arrow 4 move still, right?

4) When we are in the 5th square position, then it the last square that we can move into in case of +4 AP? 0 + 4 - 4 = 0 AP and no one else to charge. If enemy cav will retreat one square diagonally and not straight back, then will we face them diagonally or continue facing forward?

5) Can we charge 90 degree angle units (since turning costs nothing) like in this example from the 5th square position into the 7th square (if we assume that this unit is not broken)? Can we change targets to broken units in any circumstances?
Sorry, these questions are too detailed, and I might not even be able to answer them with certainty even if I could get my head round them. When I said a screenshot, I meant an actual example of units not doing what you thought they should, not a hypothetical situation in which you want me to say exactly what should happen at each stage in advance.

So I am not going to attempt to answer this item by item.

Some points that might partially answer your queries, however:

1) 12AP Knights always get +4AP on their pursuit move.
2) Unmanouvrability has no effect when pursuing. Turns are free when pursuing however many turns are involved.
3) The index unit (i.e. the 1st pursuer if there is more than one) always follows the router/evader, passing through the same squares.
4) If a unit does not charge another target, it will face the pursued unit at the end of the pursuit, unless they are no longer in an adjacent square.
5) Pursuers will not change targets to charge already routed troops. (And this also applies if their break is queued for display but has not yet actually been displayed).
Richard Bodley Scott

SuitedQueens
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by SuitedQueens »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:30 pm Some points that might partially answer your queries, however:
TY for taking your time to respond. I have 3 general questions left. :roll:

Can pursuers change their target to the one facing your current position at 90 degree angle? Under typical circumstances it will take 8 AP to turn (turns are free when pursuing) and 4 AP to move into that square or usual charge rules applied when switching target (meaning that only 45 degree target switches allowed)?

I can't screenshot it, but during my last exported battle I had one very strange situation. My skirmishers were pursuing enemy skirmisher and he ran away 2 squares diagonally (12 AP) and then pass through the enemy infantry line. I thought that action costs 8 AP, which kind of ruined my plans of catching him.

Does that +/-4 AP system means, that infantry can never catch cavalry unit? I mean if Infantry has 14 AP and Cavalry 12 AP, then they both will run up 3 squares and infantry won't have enough AP to engage?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

SuitedQueens wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:58 pm Can pursuers change their target to the one facing your current position at 90 degree angle? Under typical circumstances it will take 8 AP to turn (turns are free when pursuing) and 4 AP to move into that square or usual charge rules applied when switching target (meaning that only 45 degree target switches allowed)?
Only 45 degrees from their current facing.
I can't screenshot it, but during my last exported battle I had one very strange situation. My skirmishers were pursuing enemy skirmisher and he ran away 2 squares diagonally (12 AP) and then pass through the enemy infantry line. I thought that action costs 8 AP, which kind of ruined my plans of catching him.

It doesn't cost 8 AP when routing or evading. This matches the tabeltop rules where routers and evaders only have to reach the intervening unit to pass through,
Does that +/-4 AP system means, that infantry can never catch cavalry unit? I mean if Infantry has 14 AP and Cavalry 12 AP, then they both will run up 3 squares and infantry won't have enough AP to engage?
Yes, unless the evade of the cavalry is blocked.
Richard Bodley Scott

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Quick Questions Thread on Rules

Post by kronenblatt »

If the map type is set to POTLUCK in a custom battle, how is the actual map typ then determined?

I recall that each army has a certain map type and that the battle's actual map type is selected from the two map types of the two battling armies; is that correct? If yes, is it determined randomly (50/50) from these two map types or in any order of priority among map types (I vaguely recall that as well)?

EDIT: or does MAPSET in the army lists only determine whether Mediterranean, North European, Middle Eastern, Steppe, Desert or Tropical? How then to determine whether Agricultural, Hilly, etc.?

EDIT2: version 1.1.5 patch notes read: "Added Pot Luck terrain option for Custom Battles. (SP & MP). The map type will be chosen using the map set most appropriate to the opposing nations. Where these have different home map sets, the game will use the highest priority map set in the following list (highest to lowest): Tropical, Northern Europe, Mediterranean, Middle East, Steppe, Desert. This is loosely based on the general trend of historical invasions. Where the map set permits different terrain types, Pot Luck maps will be 70% agricultural, 15% hilly, 10% wooded and 5% mountainous." Still applicable?
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 am The game will use the highest priority map set for the two armies in the following list (highest to lowest): Tropical, Northern Europe, Mediterranean, Middle East, Steppe, Desert. Still applicable?
Richard's answer: Yes, for Ancients. Medieval has the regions in a different order.
kronenblatt wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:51 am Where the map set permits different terrain types, pot luck maps will be 70% agricultural, 15% hilly, 10% wooded and 5% mountainous.
Richard's answer: No, it is 60% agricultural, 20% hilly, 10% wooded, 10% mountains.

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

The rules state that Defensive spears get +100 POA on impact unless charging, or vs defensive spears.
Do they get an impact bonus charging against mounted/foot bowmen or other swordsmen ?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

tyronec wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm The rules state that Defensive spears get +100 POA on impact unless charging, or vs defensive spears.
Do they get an impact bonus charging against mounted/foot bowmen or other swordsmen ?
My understanding is that they, when charging, get impact bonus only against other defensive spearmen. I.e., not against mounted/foot bowmen or other swordsmen

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm
tyronec wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm The rules state that Defensive spears get +100 POA on impact unless charging, or vs defensive spears.
My understanding is that they, when charging, get impact bonus only against other defensive spearmen. I.e., not against mounted/foot bowmen or other swordsmen
That is correct.

The manual (and in-game text) actually says "vs any troops if not charging, or vs defensive spearmen"
Richard Bodley Scott

BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

When does the free turn is actually free ?
I'm struggling to understand when I am allowed a free turn or not ( I understand it only applies to manoeuverable units within command range). However, according to the rules
Each game turn non-light units that are in command range are allowed one free turn
of up to 45 degrees.
So after moving a unit 2 cell front I have a free turn, after moving 2 cell up and 1 on the side, I get a free turn, but if move in diagonal (or move backward) I don't get the free turn. What are exactly the rules ?
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

It depends if the unit is unmanoeuvrable or not and how many action points it has left. Also, the general has no effect if he is in combat. It's a bit of a mystery to me, too, but I do find that an unmanoeuvrable hoplite unit can move one square and turn, but can't move two squares and turn. The attached chart may help.
Complete action points costs for movement
Complete action points costs for movement
1_FOG2_Movement_Cost.jpg (291.44 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
I'm not sure how many action points it costs to turn. "Free" means you can do it this turn, not that it doesn't cost action points.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

BMAXIMUS wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:55 pm When does the free turn is actually free ?
I'm struggling to understand when I am allowed a free turn or not ( I understand it only applies to manoeuverable units within command range). However, according to the rules
Each game turn non-light units that are in command range are allowed one free turn
of up to 45 degrees.
So after moving a unit 2 cell front I have a free turn, after moving 2 cell up and 1 on the side, I get a free turn, but if move in diagonal (or move backward) I don't get the free turn. What are exactly the rules ?
In determining what APs are required for turns when making a multi-square move, the game only takes into account the overall change in direction over the entire move; it does not take into account any intermediate "turns" caused by the artificial constraints of moving on a square grid. It essentially assumes that the unit moves in a straight line from its starting position to its final position - as it would in reality - and calculates the angle between that line and a line drawn straight ahead from the unit's original position and facing. If that angle is less than 45 degrees, it is not treated as any sort of turn.

So a "knight's move" is less than 45 degrees from the original facing overall, and hence does not count as a turn, so leaves the "free" turn available to use at the end of the move.

If you move diagonally from an orthogonal facing, however, the whole move is 45 degrees from the original facing, so you have already used the "free" turn as part of the initial move.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vakarr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:20 am "Free" means you can do it this turn, not that it doesn't cost action points.
No, it means that it doesn't cost action points.
Richard Bodley Scott

BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

vakarr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:20 am The attached chart may help. 1_FOG2_Movement_Cost.jpg
Thanks for the chart. It is really helpfull indeed.
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am
BMAXIMUS wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:55 pm When does the free turn is actually free ?
of up to 45 degrees.
In determining what APs are required for turns when making a multi-square move, the game only takes into account the overall change in direction over the entire move; it does not take into account any intermediate "turns" caused by the artificial constraints of moving on a square grid. It essentially assumes that the unit moves in a straight line from its starting position to its final position - as it would in reality - and calculates the angle between that line and a line drawn straight ahead from the unit's original position and facing. If that angle is less than 45 degrees, it is not treated as any sort of turn.

So a "knight's move" is less than 45 degrees from the original facing overall, and hence does not count as a turn, so leaves the "free" turn available to use at the end of the move.

If you move diagonally from an orthogonal facing, however, the whole move is 45 degrees from the original facing, so you have already used the "free" turn as part of the initial move.
That makes sense. Thanks for the quick answer.
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

As an addition to that conversation manual has outdated info on Light Troops. They still get free general turn. If free general turn performed before any degree turn you still preserve any degree turn. All subsequrent any degree turns even after using free 45 degree and free any degree turn will cost 8 AP always. On side note don't forget that you can block squares on your unit path to alter it facing at final square. You can also block enemy secondary ZoC squares to unlock way more movement options. And another thing is Unmaneuvrable units become Maneuvrable for charging purposes only.

Check what you can do by understanding movement mechanics (scroll down to the last two messages): viewtopic.php?f=477&t=102676&start=20
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

SuitedQueens wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 pm On side note don't forget that you can block squares on your unit path to alter it facing at final square. You can also block enemy secondary ZoC squares to unlock way more movement options. And another thing is Unmaneuvrable units become Maneuvrable for charging purposes only.
I'm not sure I understand any of it. Could you clarify those three points please ?
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:48 am If you move diagonally from an orthogonal facing, however, the whole move is 45 degrees from the original facing, so you have already used the "free" turn as part of the initial move.
When I do that, I am left with 4 AP, but if I try to turn it says " not enough AP left to turn", meaning I can't turn after moving diagonally. A unmaneouvrable unit can turn (4 AP) then move diagonnaly (6AP).
A manoeuvrable unite should be able to do the same with an extra free turn . Instead it is left with 4AP which it can not use. I'm still struggling to understand to understand the logic behind this.
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

BMAXIMUS wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:15 pm I'm not sure I understand any of it. Could you clarify those three points please ?
1) You can block squares on your unit path to alter it facing at final square:
Lets say yo do <45 degree move takes 10 AP and consist of one square forward and one square diagonally after that. Or for cavalry we can use this

At the last square of this path you unit will be faced diagonally cause he does 4 AP straight move first and then 6 AP diagonal move and you still have free general turn. If you block that 4 AP square on the path your unit will end up doing 6 AP and then finishing with 4 AP straight move, which will leave you more general turn options and possibly make flank attack possible 1 turn earlier. Units always pick 4 AP steps first
Example for cavalry:
Same thing applied to lining up your unmaneuvrable troops, so they will always end up facing straight in their last destination cause they don't have free general turn.

Here's a video example (watch like first 15 seconds after timecode): https://youtu.be/DEtPRju0yOY?t=691
2) You can also block enemy secondary ZoC squares to unlock way more movement options.
Here's a simple video example (first 10 seconds): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEtPRju0yOY&t=1220s

I provided you the link to another thread in my previous post and here's more advanced multi-step multi-turn examples from the real game: viewtopic.php?f=477&t=104848 (scroll down to mass screenshots post - thats what you are looking for)
3) And another thing is Unmaneuvrable units become Maneuvrable for charging purposes only.
To attack enemy unit you need to have enough AP to move into the square they currently occupy. As you already know Unmaneuvrable called that for a reason. Here's an example:

I hope you understood Light Troops mechanics. What this usually means in practice is that you get to make under <45 degree move, use your free 45 degree general turn to make full arc shot and then you have free <=360 degree turn left to anticipate enemy forces advances for the full arc stationary shot next turn. Just remember that if you use free any degree (360) turn before free 45 degree general turn you lose both of them.
BMAXIMUS
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BMAXIMUS »

Thanks for the great answer. That was really instructive.
Here's a video example (watch like first 15 seconds after timecode): https://youtu.be/DEtPRju0yOY?t=691
That is super gamey, and probably expose a flaw in the rules.

I watch the video about the "traps", but failed to understand what the traps exactly were. I'll have to look at it again.
SuitedQueens

Post by SuitedQueens »

Video itself supposed to show a lot of traps setups from your typical game. And the reasons why they can fail. What you need to look for is message full of screenshots in the same thread. The most interesting part of the traps video is: https://youtu.be/Ml9AoXs8C28?t=90

Screenshots actually show you when everything you try to do is successful. As it was said in the video I had less resources at my disposal then I would typically have because of those elephants. You can also see how much more opponent can do just by having two light cav units there.

But your really don't need to ficus on those strats that much cause most multiplayer games are boring wide line on line clashes where players actively try to minimize thinking time on their part.

Here's another interesting example: typical trap setup done by blocking enemy cav movement and offering charge option (watch 20 seconds): https://youtu.be/Ml9AoXs8C28?t=168
And it works out in the end: https://youtu.be/Ml9AoXs8C28?t=316

If you wonder why do we need to block secondary ZoC first here you go. First of all we need them to change their facing in the right direction on the next turn. If we don't block then there is no way we could charge them from the right square. Why? You spend free general turn and 4 AP to move into that square. Every 45 degree turn after that costs 8 AP instead of 4 AP like under regular rules, and you need 8 AP 45 degree turn + 6 AP for diagonal charge, so you are 2 AP short. Thats why you need to know all those advanced rules and typical trap setups to see those tactics in your games.

MP players actually fall in the most obvious traps often (first 10 seconds): https://youtu.be/6XPlSe-ra14?t=2325
Last edited by SuitedQueens on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Frequently Asked Questions”