(Not So) Quick Questions Thread on Tactics

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
kronenblatt
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

(Not So) Quick Questions Thread on Tactics

Post by kronenblatt » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 pm

How would you, if having an army (Gallic) consisting mainly of cavalry and heavy infantry, deal in the initial phase of the battle with an AI enemy (@Emperor) made up of both strong heavy infantry and light foot, but almost no cavalry (Western Greek)?

These enemy foot skirmishers are just so many on the right flank...
Last edited by kronenblatt on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

SLancaster

Re: Quick Questions Thread on Tactics

Post by SLancaster » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:16 am

We don’t know the map or the exact army compositions. If you can get cavalry around the flank that would be great. If I had a lot of cavalry I might also use one cav unit for catching skirmishers.

Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Ludendorf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 am

I would normally weight a flank, assuming relatively open terrain features. Put my superior warbands on one flank with my weaker regular warbands trailing back in an 'L' shape. Place most of the cavalry on the flank with the strongest soldiers, with a few cavalry at the 'top' of the L (furthest away from the enemy line). The object is then for your strong troops to smash into the opponent's extreme left or right and flank it with your cavalry, obliterating it before the rest of the enemy army can get into contact with and ultimately destroy your weaker troops, who, due to being further back on the battlefield, are much harder to get to due to the enemy having to cross the full battlefield both vertically and diagonally to reach them. This formation also stops the larger enemy army from enveloping and then flanking your weaker flank, which is very important for the survival of your expensive warband army.

Make sure to investigate the terrain on the flank you weight. If both flanks are unsuitable... hmm. I'll get back to you on that one.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:46 am

Thanks, guys! This is how it looks: to me both flanks are challenging, terrain wise. But what do you think? And how would you have best deployed, given that and Emperor AI as enemy (i.e., 2000 points to deploy)?
DeploymentGaulsVsGreeks_I.jpg
DeploymentGaulsVsGreeks_I.jpg (544.7 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
EDIT: Maybe I should use the forest as the anchor and protection of my weak flank, the right flank? And then weight the left flank, pivoting upwards?

With deployment something like this?
DeploymentGaulsVsGreeks_II.jpg
DeploymentGaulsVsGreeks_II.jpg (653.9 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

vakarr
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Re: (Not So) Quick Questions Thread on Tactics

Post by vakarr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes use the forest to guard the right flank and put your best troops and cavalry on your left flank, as Ludendorf said, smash the enemy infantry with your superior warbands, hold back your other infantry, and secure the left flank of your warbands with the cavalry. The terrain on your extreme left is not particularly favourable for cavalry operations so they should be supported by some light infantry. It usually helps to have one or two heavy infantry behind the cavalry if you are facing decent heavy infantry, as the cavalry may end up bouncing off the enemy line otherwise. Don't remember if you can have medium infantry but if you can, putting one medium unit over on the left will help if you get embroiled near that wood on the end of the enemy line.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:48 pm

Just be careful, because a staggered line like that can potentially be hit in the flanks if the units in the line behind are engaged diagonally. The AI probably won't cause you too much trouble with this, and your impact foot are well suited for repelling such a strategy as engaging hoplites may simply bounce off, but this is why I like each staggered line to overlap slightly; there is a unit tucked into the corner that can protect the flanks of the next line forward. It could make your line a little shorter, which might make enemy flanking efforts on your right a little easier for them. On the other hand, the corner units can also slide up more easily to exploit a pushback as well.

To counteract this, I often also go with a more extreme refusal; a step formation running away at 45 degrees to my main line, or even a vertical line running straight back from my line of weighted infantry to the back of the map, making your formation look like an L when seen from the enemy's perspective. This makes the enemy march even further to get to your weaker units... although it can also mean that your weaker units are potentially locked out of the fight if your elites get into trouble.

You'll need to experiment and decide what setup suits your needs (and different situations may alter that calculation). Finally, you might want to keep one or two units of cavalry on the right. If something does manage to get around there, they can use their speed to threaten a flank and draw off multiple enemy infantry units, or keep enemy cavalry who are threatening to roll up your infantry line busy for a little while longer. Light cavalry are also excellent for this.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks, guys, for all your advice! I've used it in another battle (Greeks vs Kyrenean Greeks at Emperor difficulty), hard win (see below, one more round and I would have collapsed, but reached the 60% in time), but my "weaker" flank turned out to be my stronger... More practice, and I'll get there eventually, but still making beginner's mistakes. Will now go back to my Gauls versus Greeks game again...

Any further advice and input is always appreciated.
MadeIt.jpg
MadeIt.jpg (969.3 KiB) Viewed 998 times
Last edited by kronenblatt on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm

Congrats on the win. If you can pull a victory on Emperor off and know how to weight a flank, then you're ready for most of what the multiplayer lobby will throw at you. That's about the level I was at when I started playing online. Some other formations to experiment with are...

-The mixed cavalry and infantry formation (mix in cheap infantry with your cavalry on the wings to forestall stronger enemy cavalry wings cost effectively)
-Concentrated lancer charges (take a list like the Dacians or Sarmatians and practice swinging right around the enemy flanks to deliver a decisive charge home to the enemy rear, ideally while using rough terrain and other obstacles to paralyse the enemy front line).
-The cavalry-elephant/cavalry-camel combo (watch out for pikes!) This can decimate enemy lancer lines and give enemy medium cavalry serious problems, and is a good counter to enemy cavalry/infantry mixes as long as the infantry aren't too high quality or offensive/defensive spears.
-The Weak Centre Approach (taking a large army with the better infantry and cavalry focused on the wings, with a squishy medium centre that can be held back until the stronger flanks pin the enemy in place.)

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Ludendorf wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm
Congrats on the win. If you can pull a victory on Emperor off and know how to weight a flank, then you're ready for most of what the multiplayer lobby will throw at you. That's about the level I was at when I started playing online. Some other formations to experiment with are...

1. The mixed cavalry and infantry formation (mix in cheap infantry with your cavalry on the wings to forestall stronger enemy cavalry wings cost effectively)
2. Concentrated lancer charges (take a list like the Dacians or Sarmatians and practice swinging right around the enemy flanks to deliver a decisive charge home to the enemy rear, ideally while using rough terrain and other obstacles to paralyse the enemy front line).
3. The cavalry-elephant/cavalry-camel combo (watch out for pikes!) This can decimate enemy lancer lines and give enemy medium cavalry serious problems, and is a good counter to enemy cavalry/infantry mixes as long as the infantry aren't too high quality or offensive/defensive spears.
4. The Weak Centre Approach (taking a large army with the better infantry and cavalry focused on the wings, with a squishy medium centre that can be held back until the stronger flanks pin the enemy in place.)
Thanks Ludendorf! Slowly getting there... :)

Which would be the most applicable own vs enemy army lists for each of these 1-4 above, in your opinion? Then I can also switch own <-> enemy as well.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm
Ludendorf wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:53 pm

1. The mixed cavalry and infantry formation (mix in cheap infantry with your cavalry on the wings to forestall stronger enemy cavalry wings cost effectively)
2. Concentrated lancer charges (take a list like the Dacians or Sarmatians and practice swinging right around the enemy flanks to deliver a decisive charge home to the enemy rear, ideally while using rough terrain and other obstacles to paralyse the enemy front line).
3. The cavalry-elephant/cavalry-camel combo (watch out for pikes!) This can decimate enemy lancer lines and give enemy medium cavalry serious problems, and is a good counter to enemy cavalry/infantry mixes as long as the infantry aren't too high quality or offensive/defensive spears.
4. The Weak Centre Approach (taking a large army with the better infantry and cavalry focused on the wings, with a squishy medium centre that can be held back until the stronger flanks pin the enemy in place.)
Thanks Ludendorf! Slowly getting there... :)

Which would be the most applicable own vs enemy army lists for each of these 1-4 above, in your opinion? Then I can also switch own <-> enemy as well.
Hmm...

The Roman Republican lists can be a good list to deploy item 1. Triarii make great choices for mixing in with armoured cavalry; they aren't very expensive and are excellent for repelling cavalry attacks, which balances out the fact that armoured cavalry are kind of rubbish and actually need protecting. This should anchor the flanks and be an iron-cast counter to any pure cavalry threat such as one deployed by the Carthaginians or some of the horse and chariot heavy Gallic/British lists, while your legions do what they do best; carve a hole through the centre of the infantry line.

Any list that deploys raw quality defensive or offensive spears and mediocre cavalry options can make good use of the mixed cavalry-infantry formation on the flanks; think your Greek lists or some of the Early Medieval options. Average quality medium infantry with the light spear capability are also great choices. If you're facing a pure cavalry army, you may want to make your entire army a mix of cavalry and infantry, and you can even stick units of cheap infantry out in front of the formation as 'cavalry catchers' to make the formation even more effective. I'll probably do a video showcasing that formation, as it is easier than trying to explain it in text. Beyond that, you want to use this combination when your own cavalry aren't strong enough to stand up to the enemy's potential options, or when there are a lot more enemy cavalry than you can bring. The infantry supplement the cavalry and ensure that enemy horse don't get out of control. You do lose speed as your own cavalry have to lockstep with your infantry.

If you're using the mixed formation out on the flanks and think a mixed cavalry-elephant formation might be coming however, I strongly recommend you substitute your raw quality spears for at least regular quality ones. Regular quality spears can stop an elephant charge if they can hold formation. Raw troops are probably just going to get smashed apart. Elephants will also disorder your cavalry, so ensure the infantry are placed a tile ahead of the cavalry so the enemy cavalry are the ones who get disordered (by their own elephants no less!) if they try to charge home during the infantry-elephant battle. Enemy lancers can still try to lock horns with your struggling infantry and break through using sheer force, but at least you tied down two very expensive units with a much cheaper one. Elephants are expensive, so if you are overpowered, try winning somewhere else on the field where the enemy isn't so strong. Giving you the freedom to do that is the whole point of the cavalry-infantry formation I am describing.

Concentrated lancer charges are best used when a) you can outnumber or at least match the opponent in the infantry battle and can overpower the enemy cavalry, or b) when the enemy infantry are unreliable, non-spear type units such as warbands. I mentioned the Dacians specifically as their lancers were used to devastating effect against me when I was using warband armies, looping right around the back of the line, knocking any cavalry and warbands I left in reserve off the field piecemeal by faster manoeuvre or by sheer power of attack, and then smashing into the back of my occupied formation while it struggled to break the cheap medium troops on rough ground.

Any list with cheap infantry (ideally ones that do well on the rough) and many lancers (or even some lancers and some other cavalry to follow the spearhead in) facing off against a list with strong but expensive enemy infantry (ideally heavies, although mediums are vulnerable to lancer charges in the open) but weaker cavalry can potentially make use of this formation. I guess this is really just hammer and anvil, but the key is to ensure that the enemy's anvil can't obstruct the hammer. Experienced players will refuse their flanks to make this more difficult and will throw out their weaker cavalry in a delaying action to buy themselves more time. You may also want to bring light cavalry as your opponent will probably try to obstruct your lancers with their own lights. And watch out for swarms of skirmisher foot disrupting your horse as they try to get around the flanks. Nothing ruins a lancer captain's day like seeing a swarm of slingers and archers coming their way.

Mixing in elephants with your cavalry is an expensive but almost sure-fire way of ensuring you dominate the cavalry battle. Any list with elephants can do it, and it can be used to compensate for your own weak cavalry (which helps, because elephants are flaming expensive!) Use this when winning the cavalry battle is paramount. Just make sure you protect the elephants from skirmishers, and watch out for a few enemy cavalry slipping around your more rigid formation and into the backs of your infantry. If you can force a cavalry-cavalry engagement, particularly elephants vs lancers, that's great. Just be aware that no player will willingly get his horse into that kind of match up. You need to be ready to exploit the extra work he or she will have to put into avoiding it, because you can't afford to waste your elephants just chasing his cavalry around. They have to beat aside the enemy cavalry and get into the flanks of some infantry to do their full job.

Watch out for enemy cavalry-infantry formations countering this. If you see spears mixed in amongst the cavalry or worse, pikes, it might be time to do an emergency rearrangement of the formation.

Weak Centre involves taking a core of cheap mediums, defensive spears or other 'cheap' infantry, and positioning your better quality (I hesitate to say elite) units on the flanks. The object is not to actually engage the centre, but to instead advance aggressively on the flanks, winning or neutralising the cavalry battle, and then locking down your opponent's outnumbered infantry with flank threats. You must leave enough room as you advance that your opponent cannot turn and lock down a part of your army to defeat in detail. Leave just enough space to force them to come to you, and thus spread themselves thinner and thinner.

You can then just slowly edge your way around or use skirmishers to force a pursuit until your opponent can't counter you anymore. Whatever list you pick for this, you must be able to deploy more units (period) than they can. The Hannibal in Africa list is the king of this strategy with its mass of decent but inflexible Punic Foot and its handful of indomitable Veteran Italian Foot and African Spearmen. The light and noble cavalry will ensure you at least draw the cavalry exchange, though if you're going all in in this strategy, you probably won't be able to afford to bring any elephants. The strategy is lethal against any list that relies on expensive infantry.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:49 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:35 pm
... Will now go back to my Gauls versus Greeks game again...
Wouldn't think that I'd actually make it. :)
GaulsVsGreeks.jpg
GaulsVsGreeks.jpg (183.41 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Ludendorf wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm
Hmm...

The Roman Republican lists can be a good list to deploy item 1. Triarii make great choices for mixing in with armoured cavalry; they aren't very expensive and are excellent for repelling cavalry attacks, which balances out the fact that armoured cavalry are kind of rubbish and actually need protecting. This should anchor the flanks and be an iron-cast counter to any pure cavalry threat such as one deployed by the Carthaginians or some of the horse and chariot heavy Gallic/British lists, while your legions do what they do best; carve a hole through the centre of the infantry line.

Any list that deploys raw quality defensive or offensive spears and mediocre cavalry options can make good use of the mixed cavalry-infantry formation on the flanks; think your Greek lists or some of the Early Medieval options. Average quality medium infantry with the light spear capability are also great choices. If you're facing a pure cavalry army, you may want to make your entire army a mix of cavalry and infantry, and you can even stick units of cheap infantry out in front of the formation as 'cavalry catchers' to make the formation even more effective. I'll probably do a video showcasing that formation, as it is easier than trying to explain it in text. Beyond that, you want to use this combination when your own cavalry aren't strong enough to stand up to the enemy's potential options, or when there are a lot more enemy cavalry than you can bring. The infantry supplement the cavalry and ensure that enemy horse don't get out of control. You do lose speed as your own cavalry have to lockstep with your infantry.

If you're using the mixed formation out on the flanks and think a mixed cavalry-elephant formation might be coming however, I strongly recommend you substitute your raw quality spears for at least regular quality ones. Regular quality spears can stop an elephant charge if they can hold formation. Raw troops are probably just going to get smashed apart. Elephants will also disorder your cavalry, so ensure the infantry are placed a tile ahead of the cavalry so the enemy cavalry are the ones who get disordered (by their own elephants no less!) if they try to charge home during the infantry-elephant battle. Enemy lancers can still try to lock horns with your struggling infantry and break through using sheer force, but at least you tied down two very expensive units with a much cheaper one. Elephants are expensive, so if you are overpowered, try winning somewhere else on the field where the enemy isn't so strong. Giving you the freedom to do that is the whole point of the cavalry-infantry formation I am describing.

Concentrated lancer charges are best used when a) you can outnumber or at least match the opponent in the infantry battle and can overpower the enemy cavalry, or b) when the enemy infantry are unreliable, non-spear type units such as warbands. I mentioned the Dacians specifically as their lancers were used to devastating effect against me when I was using warband armies, looping right around the back of the line, knocking any cavalry and warbands I left in reserve off the field piecemeal by faster manoeuvre or by sheer power of attack, and then smashing into the back of my occupied formation while it struggled to break the cheap medium troops on rough ground.

Any list with cheap infantry (ideally ones that do well on the rough) and many lancers (or even some lancers and some other cavalry to follow the spearhead in) facing off against a list with strong but expensive enemy infantry (ideally heavies, although mediums are vulnerable to lancer charges in the open) but weaker cavalry can potentially make use of this formation. I guess this is really just hammer and anvil, but the key is to ensure that the enemy's anvil can't obstruct the hammer. Experienced players will refuse their flanks to make this more difficult and will throw out their weaker cavalry in a delaying action to buy themselves more time. You may also want to bring light cavalry as your opponent will probably try to obstruct your lancers with their own lights. And watch out for swarms of skirmisher foot disrupting your horse as they try to get around the flanks. Nothing ruins a lancer captain's day like seeing a swarm of slingers and archers coming their way.

Mixing in elephants with your cavalry is an expensive but almost sure-fire way of ensuring you dominate the cavalry battle. Any list with elephants can do it, and it can be used to compensate for your own weak cavalry (which helps, because elephants are flaming expensive!) Use this when winning the cavalry battle is paramount. Just make sure you protect the elephants from skirmishers, and watch out for a few enemy cavalry slipping around your more rigid formation and into the backs of your infantry. If you can force a cavalry-cavalry engagement, particularly elephants vs lancers, that's great. Just be aware that no player will willingly get his horse into that kind of match up. You need to be ready to exploit the extra work he or she will have to put into avoiding it, because you can't afford to waste your elephants just chasing his cavalry around. They have to beat aside the enemy cavalry and get into the flanks of some infantry to do their full job.

Watch out for enemy cavalry-infantry formations countering this. If you see spears mixed in amongst the cavalry or worse, pikes, it might be time to do an emergency rearrangement of the formation.

Weak Centre involves taking a core of cheap mediums, defensive spears or other 'cheap' infantry, and positioning your better quality (I hesitate to say elite) units on the flanks. The object is not to actually engage the centre, but to instead advance aggressively on the flanks, winning or neutralising the cavalry battle, and then locking down your opponent's outnumbered infantry with flank threats. You must leave enough room as you advance that your opponent cannot turn and lock down a part of your army to defeat in detail. Leave just enough space to force them to come to you, and thus spread themselves thinner and thinner.

You can then just slowly edge your way around or use skirmishers to force a pursuit until your opponent can't counter you anymore. Whatever list you pick for this, you must be able to deploy more units (period) than they can. The Hannibal in Africa list is the king of this strategy with its mass of decent but inflexible Punic Foot and its handful of indomitable Veteran Italian Foot and African Spearmen. The light and noble cavalry will ensure you at least draw the cavalry exchange, though if you're going all in in this strategy, you probably won't be able to afford to bring any elephants. The strategy is lethal against any list that relies on expensive infantry.
Wow: many thanks! Very interesting thoughts and reasoning, Ludendorf, and highly useful for me to get an idea of how to start thinking. Especially the Weak Centre sounds like the first 'style' to try.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Ludendorf wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Weak Centre ... is lethal against any list that relies on expensive infantry.
Which lists would that be? Will try it out against such AI enemy army.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Most of the pike lists; that's your Macedonians, Ptolemaics, anything from Alexander, Phillip, or the Diadochi era basically. Romans and warband lists could be worth trying against as well (given how expensive warbands are).

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Ludendorf wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:43 pm
kronenblatt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:33 pm

Most of the pike lists; that's your Macedonians, Ptolemaics, anything from Alexander, Phillip, or the Diadochi era basically. Romans and warband lists could be worth trying against as well (given how expensive warbands are).
Thanks! Met a Greek army instead and the terrain seemed to favour a weighted flank instead and use the rough terrain in the middle as protection to the left. Don't think that I would have pulled it off against a human, but against the Emperor AI it worked to strike swiftly with my best units on the right flank. Getting there... :)
CvGstart.jpg
CvGstart.jpg (413.51 KiB) Viewed 821 times
CvGend.jpg
CvGend.jpg (327.84 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Now I will try the Weak Centre against one of the Diadochi.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:00 pm

kronenblatt wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm
Now I will try the Weak Centre against one of the Diadochi.
Aoch, this was hard... :( I've been trying many different approaches now with Carthaginians against Ptolemeians and (post Alexander) Macedonians, but the pikes simply prove too difficult: the pikes simply grind me down with their massive PoAs in both impact and melee. Three or four defeats in a row now. I've been trying to soften them up (at least their fourth rank) with skirmishers and having some success, but just too many pikes for my few skirmishers...

What are the best ways of dealing with enemy pikes, how on the battlefield, and with which own units (in general, assuming any army list)?

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Hmm...

Personally, I generally try to avoid enemy pikes, although large formations of superior warbands can sometimes get the better of them en-masse as they can achieve a few disruptions and then break through the pike wall to the flanks if they are lucky enough to get those disruptions. That then allows them to come to the aid of their embattled fellows. I realised that the reason a weak centre approach might not work on Emperor in SP is the AI will get so many points they will be able to bring an army at least as large as yours regardless of how cheap and nasty your units are, which means that unless you have Hannibal's genius and manage to encircle a larger army with a smaller one, you aren't going to be winning that way.

What could work is going back to the weighted flank.Whichever flank has the pikes, try to keep away from them, and instead focus your strongest soldiers' efforts on outflanking and destroying the enemy's weakest units, only fighting progressively stronger ones as forced to as the battle progresses. In the perfect battle, you wouldn't even come into contact with a Veteran Pike Phalanx; you'd have got the necessary 40% before it even became a question of tangling with those nightmares.

Of course, in practice, you may have no choice, but try to at least delay contact with the pikes. I've used cheap units of medium cavalry to ZOC them and force them to chase my horsemen around to frustrate their progress before. Another approach is to use rough ground to disorder and tie down the pikes while you dismember the rest of their army. Of course, you'd need rough ground to do that, but it is another way of effectively neutering the powerful pike blocks.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Ludendorf wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm
Hmm...

Personally, I generally try to avoid enemy pikes, although large formations of superior warbands can sometimes get the better of them en-masse as they can achieve a few disruptions and then break through the pike wall to the flanks if they are lucky enough to get those disruptions. That then allows them to come to the aid of their embattled fellows. I realised that the reason a weak centre approach might not work on Emperor in SP is the AI will get so many points they will be able to bring an army at least as large as yours regardless of how cheap and nasty your units are, which means that unless you have Hannibal's genius and manage to encircle a larger army with a smaller one, you aren't going to be winning that way.

What could work is going back to the weighted flank.Whichever flank has the pikes, try to keep away from them, and instead focus your strongest soldiers' efforts on outflanking and destroying the enemy's weakest units, only fighting progressively stronger ones as forced to as the battle progresses. In the perfect battle, you wouldn't even come into contact with a Veteran Pike Phalanx; you'd have got the necessary 40% before it even became a question of tangling with those nightmares.

Of course, in practice, you may have no choice, but try to at least delay contact with the pikes. I've used cheap units of medium cavalry to ZOC them and force them to chase my horsemen around to frustrate their progress before. Another approach is to use rough ground to disorder and tie down the pikes while you dismember the rest of their army. Of course, you'd need rough ground to do that, but it is another way of effectively neutering the powerful pike blocks.
Excellent: many thanks for constructive and useful reasoning, Ludendorf! Will apply it shortly, but right now, at this very moment, I'm in the middle of a slugfest here with my Carthaginians versus Macedonians: could go either way, but I'm most likely to lose again, although not as decisively. EDIT: Yep, I did lose, 41 % versus 60%. One step in the right direction at least.
CarthageVsMacedonI.jpg
CarthageVsMacedonI.jpg (855.78 KiB) Viewed 712 times

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 am

Ludendorf wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm
I realised that the reason a weak centre approach might not work on Emperor in SP is the AI will get so many points they will be able to bring an army at least as large as yours regardless of how cheap and nasty your units are, which means that unless you have Hannibal's genius and manage to encircle a larger army with a smaller one, you aren't going to be winning that way.
You're probably correct in that: their units never seem to run out (so Weak Centre is a thing for equally strong armies and I'll have to look at Strong Flank like against the Greeks above), and I definitely don't have the brain of Hannibal. But on the other hand, I'm better at insurance than he ever was, and he would have need a good catastrophe insurance policy in his days... :)

EDIT: but this time I did in fact win with Carthage versus Macedon. Occupying the steep hills, while still making a couple of beginner's mistakes but otherwise distracting some of enemy's heavy infantry with cavalry until I could defeat their main force. Also, I have come to realise that Elephants are very sensitive to skirmishers, so if casualties of 2+ can be inflicted, the Elephants will take a Cohesion test and in the end fail and walk down the routing path. Makes sense?
CarthageVsMacedonWin.jpg
CarthageVsMacedonWin.jpg (959.16 KiB) Viewed 641 times

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:01 pm

Well done. Yes, elephants are very vulnerable to javelins. If the javelins are static or in large enough numbers, they can even be dangerous once they are out of ammunition. Archers and slingers can also trouble elephants, but you need a few of them all firing at once, they need to have ammunition, or they need to be static. Take two of three, but slingers and archers generally can't do much against elephants once low on ammo.

SnuggleBunnies
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Naphtha bombs are also excellent vs elephants
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Return to “Field of Glory II”