I've lost 11 games.

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Alillou
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

I've lost 11 games.

Post by Alillou » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 pm

Can't seem to get any luck :( have lost 11 games.

Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: I've lost 11 games.

Post by Ludendorf » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:49 pm

Is there a common thread to the defeats? For instance, do you lose the skirmish a lot and lose control of the battlefield that way? Does your opponent tend to outflank you, or overpower you with powerful units?

Barrold713
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Barrold713 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Sheeeet...I have lost 11 games in a single day.

My wooden spoons have wooden spoons.

My opponents order Whoopass by the keg

Good thing the nature of the competition and the entertainment value in the game is such that even my fragile ego can hold up to the beating.

Keep practicing...find the video guides and watch some games on YouTube and such.

Good luck on your journey

BDH

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by 76mm » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:00 am

Barrold713 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:16 pm
My opponents order Whoopass by the keg
:mrgreen:

nyczar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by nyczar » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:00 am

In some preseason pick-ed up games I have been playing some players new to the rigors of MP. I find that the first place to look for easily fixable errors is falling for the "auto-flank"...allowing a unit to be attacked in such a way that they turn to oppose the attacker and expose their flank to an attack on a subsequent turn. Another common thing is not realizing that a line on the diagonal may be easily moved trough if units are not set to block. Both of these are easily fixed with units and/or use of ZOC. Another thing i observe newer players doing tactically is attack attack attack; sometimes it is better to play with patience and move a unit to a more threatening position rather than the attack. After these are adjusted, I see players with no reserves. And finally, in the realm of things i see less experience players do is advance with their initial deployment no matter what. Frequently it is important to "dress" your line and make adjustments to avoid poor match ups and maximize good ones.
Last edited by nyczar on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:09 am

Alillou wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:22 pm
Are you playing random pickup games? I look at the list of games available a lot of times and a good portion of them are obviously bait games where the game creator has set up unequal armies with them having the far superior army. Those are the ones that stay up the longest because people "in the know" can see just from the army selections that its a trap game.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:12 am

MikeC_81 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:09 am
Alillou wrote:
Are you playing random pickup games? I look at the list of games available a lot of times and a good portion of them are obviously bait games where the game creator has set up unequal armies with them having the far superior army. Those are the ones that stay up the longest because people "in the know" can see just from the army selections that its a trap game.
People really making traps for this game? What do they want to achieve through that?
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

Geordietaf

Post by Geordietaf » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am

kronenblatt wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:12 am
MikeC_81 wrote:
Alillou wrote:
People really making traps for this game? What do they want to achieve through that?
It's BOFSE: Bolstering Of Fragile Self-Esteem

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 am

Geordietaf wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am
kronenblatt wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:12 am
MikeC_81 wrote:

It's BOFSE: Bolstering Of Fragile Self-Esteem
Yep, probably. :mrgreen:
:!: Happy to finally having discovered Field of Glory II! :!:

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm

So what’s a specific example of a “trap games”??

SLancaster

Post by SLancaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:39 pm
Trap games are when strong armies like the Romans face off against warbands. There are trap scenarios, too. Try to win at Bibracte with the Gauls.. sometimes you may want the challenge!

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm

SLancaster wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 pm
TheGrayMouser wrote:
Trap games are when strong armies like the Romans face off against warbands. There are trap scenarios, too. Try to win at Bibracte with the Gauls.. sometimes you may want the challenge!
What?? That’s usually a good fight. I meant what specific lists , not some generality.

SnuggleBunnies
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm

The earlier Etruscan list vs... anyone?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

SLancaster

Post by SLancaster » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:41 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:53 pm
SLancaster wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:30 pm
TheGrayMouser wrote:
What?? That’s usually a good fight. I meant what specific lists , not some generality.
Take any Roman list from Classical or Late Antiquity v a warband army. Have you won at Bibracte with the Gauls?

I am not saying that you can’t win but overall most Roman lists have an advantage, I would say.

Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:47 pm

Hmm... the Gallic cavalry are a good match vs the Roman armoured cavalry, but the triarii are difficult to get rid of. I agree that it is a tough setup. Those armoured impact legionaries are almost custom made to counter the weighty but unreliable warbands. It isn't a total mismatch (especially if the superior warbands can target the regular hastati-principes in a weighted flank), but I think the Romans possibly have a slight edge.

The thing is that if the Romans can be forced into that match up, the superior warbands will wear down ordinary maniples. Veteran principes will make mince out of the ordinary warbands though. Unless loose order warbands can take shelter on rough ground, but not all Gallic lists get loose order warbands.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:36 pm

I just don’t see the value of telling new players that if the see a mp battle with the opponents army subjectively perceived to be better, its a “trap”. You chose to accept or create skirmish battles, it’s hardly a trap. If your at mike_c’s or snuggles level, sure it probably makes more of a difference. We have all played players whom just can’t handle some army types ( as or against, HA armies being The biggest problem I suppose). So is trying to play Caesar vs Gaul in skirmish mode now considered to bad form?

Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:20 pm

Bear in mind this game has been out for several years now. Most people that you play will have quite a bit of experience. And if you are new to the game, you will have a tough time winning until you gain experience.

What I recommend to new players is to pick an interesting time frame. Then pick an interesting army from that time. Now practice that army against historical opponents vs the AI. Once you feel comfortable with that army, then you set up a mirror multiplayer match with your army vs a good match up army. Usually historical or historically plausible match ups will produce good games. Considering your hopefully substantial AI practice, you should be able to put up a decent showing in multiplayer.

Take a screenshot at the end of each turn and when the game is over, you can review the match and learn from your mistakes. Also always watch closely and learn from your opponent. What is he doing and why? You may want to use the same tactics in the future. Think about what is going on. Once you are competent and winning with your army, time to move on to another army from the same time frame or maybe shift to another time frame. It is a long term project but a lot of fun.

This game is complex and has a lot of depth. Don't expect to win without putting in the sweat. Keep at it and you will start winning.

Also watch the you tube channels of MP games by Snugglebunny, Richard York, Waz and Ludendorf. You can learn a lot from watching their MP games.

MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 pm

I am talking about folks who set up powerful armies like Pikes on their end and supply their opponent jank like an Irr. Foot army.
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

SLancaster

Post by SLancaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:17 am

Yes, just look at the armies and if not happy no big deal - just set your own battle up. For one person unappealing and for another a challenge....

SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:27 am

That's why I usually set up mirror matches - if a garbage army is involved, the competition is who can do more damage on the way down.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg

Return to “Field of Glory II”