Possible path-finding issue?

kraff
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Possible path-finding issue?

Post by kraff »

Why is my cavalry unable to flank charge diagonally and is instead being send on some bizarre route? I've seen such behaviour twice, but this here is actually critical to my tactical situation. Because of it I was denied the perfect opportunity to (possibly) break my opponent's unit and instead had to rear-charge the other unit of medium foot, even though both units are a square away and I have 16/16 AP.
noflank.gif
noflank.gif (950.27 KiB) Viewed 448 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Possible path-finding issue?

Post by rbodleyscott »

The pathfinding is done by the engine, and it picks what it picks, rather than the best move for the player. If terrain is involved, the engine's pathfinding can be a bit odd. In this case it is trying to avoid a diagonal move into difficult terrain. The engine path-finding routines know nothing about units except that they cannot pass through them.

Without dealing with the whole path-finding process in scripts (which would be woefully inefficient, and adversely affect game performance) there isn't anything we can do to make it pick the "optimal" path - which is very situation-dependent anyway.

However, in this case, as it involves no turns, you can over-ride the engine-chosen path by moving your unit straight forward 1 square, and then you will be allowed to charge the unit in front in the flank.
Richard Bodley Scott

kraff

Post by kraff »

I did move it diagonally one square forward, but then the game told me this unit has no more action points, so the charge was not possible anyway.

I guess that was because of the cost of entering difficult terrain?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kraff wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:22 pm I did move it diagonally one square forward, but then the game told me this unit has no more action points, so the charge was not possible anyway.

I guess that was because of the cost of entering difficult terrain?
Ah yes, diagonally that would be 12, and they already used 6 to move the first square diagonally.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”