Update Problem

z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Update Problem

Post by z1812z »

I had to move some of my games in order to make some room for other software. FOG2 was one that I moved. Now when I try try to install the update, it only recognizes the original location, and there is no option I can see to direct the update to the new location. I have tried the automactic updater and the manual method. There is no option with either to choose the location it installs to. How do I proceed?
z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Update Problem

Post by z1812z »

I sorted it out myself. It is very inconvenient not to be able to choose where the update is to be installed. Moving folders is often done in order to organize hard drive space.

If anyone is interested, this is how I did it. I simply let the update install where it wanted too. It created the folder and subfolders with update files as needed. Then I copied those files and folders to my FOG location. Presto.....update.

Matrix and Slitherine should really change there update procedure so One can choose where the files go.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

That would only lead to people installing the patch in the wrong place. Very few games are happy to have you just move them around after installation. If you need to move the game, just uninstall and reinstall and everything should be set up correctly.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by z1812z »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:07 pm That would only lead to people installing the patch in the wrong place. Very few games are happy to have you just move them around after installation. If you need to move the game, just uninstall and reinstall and everything should be set up correctly.

Cheers

Pip
Really? I suspect, that like myself, many people buy games from different companies. I imagine a customer's intelligence level does not drop when installing products and updates from Matrix/Slitherine. The vast majority of game companies allow you to choose where you will install an update. The update default from those companies is the same as the original install. However they do allow you to change and select where the update goes. In my experience only Matrix/Slitherine and Steam do not. Steam does allow you to change the Drive where their games are stored.

In addition to installing default updates to the original install, why not give a choice? What do you lose by doing that. The vast majority of players are certainly smart enough to manage it.
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

I am getting an error saying access to OPTIONS.txt was denied. The game will not exit and will not even uninstall.
First time I have ever had an issue with one of these updates. I could not play my MP turn either.
Barrold713

Post by Barrold713 »

The update has completely hosed my game. It does not even shut down correctly and I uninstalled and re-installed.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Barrold713 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 pm The update has completely hosed my game. It does not even shut down correctly and I uninstalled and re-installed.
I am sorry to hear that. Please email support@slitherine.co.uk who should be able to help you resolve the problem.

Please tell them whether you are using STEAM, GOG or standalone Slitherine/Matrix version.

Also, please tell them about the message re Options.txt which indicates that your anti-virus or Windows settings are probably blocking the game from writing to the /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory folder and sub-folders.

This can happen particular with STEAM versions as each new version seems to need to be given permissions anew.
Richard Bodley Scott

Barrold713

Post by Barrold713 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 pm
Barrold713 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 pm The update has completely hosed my game. It does not even shut down correctly and I uninstalled and re-installed.
I am sorry to hear that. Please email support@slitherine.co.uk who should be able to help you resolve the problem.

Please tell them whether you are using STEAM, GOG or standalone Slitherine/Matrix version.

Also, please tell them about the message re Options.txt which indicates that your anti-virus or Windows settings are probably blocking the game from writing to the /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory folder and sub-folders.

This can happen particular with STEAM versions as each new version seems to need to be given permissions anew.
Beauty

Thanks
BDH

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”