Scenario creation guide part 8 (Reinforcements Part1)

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Scenario creation guide part 8 (Reinforcements Part1)

Post by Paul59 »

There are two methods of adding reinforcements to a scenario:

The Editor Method or The Scripting Method.

The Editor Method is quite easy, but it is very limited. You cannot add generals to the units, you cannot have waves of reinforcements entering the battlefield on same squares on different turns, and it is much harder to make any adjustments if you don’t get it right first time.

The Scripting Method will turn a lot of people off because it seems more complicated, but actually it is quite simple. It allows you a lot more flexibility, you can do all the things that the Editor Method can’t do.

So let’s see how to use the Editor Method first.

Open up your scenario in the editor, go into the Unit Placement Mode by clicking the appropriate button, and place your units on the map, just like you would normally. Here I have placed 4 Light Javelinmen units on the map edge.

Normally you would place reinforcements on a map edge, but you don’t have to. They can be anywhere, but just be aware that if you place them away from the map edge they will be more likely to interfere with existing units when they appear. If an existing unit is in the entry square when the reinforcements appear, the reinforcing unit will be displaced into an adjacent available square.

Then click on the “Reinforcements Mode” button

This brings up the “Reinforcements” menu:

As with all the editor menus, you can click and drag this to anywhere on the screen to give you a clear view. Then using the left and right arrow buttons select:

Side: This is side 0 for the player side, or side 1 for the AI side.

Group: Each side can have up to 8 reinforcement groups (Group 0 to 7).

Arriving on turn: Obviously, this is the turn that you want the units to arrive on.

In the Message box you can write a small message that will be displayed to the player when the units arrive.

The “Move Camera” field is either Yes or No. It’s only function is to move the game’s camera to show the units when they arrive. I would normally set this to Yes.

So for my group of 4 Light Javelinmen, I have made these entries:

Now, click on each of the 4 Light Javelinmen units, this will allocate them to Group 0, and this will be displayed on screen.

Repeat for any other reinforcements you want, but remember to change the Group number!

Just close the Reinforcements window, and that is all you need to do for the Editor Method.

When the scenario is played, the reinforcing units will not be on the map, they will arrive on the turn that you specified.

I am not sure if you can successfully allocate teams and AI orders to reinforcements using the Editor method. If someone finds out, please let me know.

For the reasons stated above, I do not recommend using this method, and I never use it myself. But you need to know the process above, because you need it for the Scripting Method, which I will describe tomorrow, hopefully!
Last edited by Paul59 on Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Re: Scenario creation guide part 8 (Reinforcements Part1)

Post by Paul59 »

Please note that the Editor method of reinforcement currently does not work, and will cause your scenario to crash. This is due to an unforeseen side effect of a recent change in the game engine. This issue will be fixed for the next update.

In the meantime, please do not use the editor method for designing reinforcements, use the scripted method instead, see Scenario creation guide part 9 (Reinforcements Part2). This guide is still essential, as you need to know the Editor method to be able to create scripted reinforcements.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
desicat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by desicat »

Did the Editor ever get fixed?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

desicat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:15 am Did the Editor ever get fixed?
Yes.

However, the scripted method has various advantages.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Scenario Design”