Increase number army point in custom battle

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Increase number army point in custom battle

Post by matlegob »

Hello,

How can I increase the number of army points you can use to by troops in custom battle: I like to play huge battles in that way

Thanks
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Increase number army point in custom battle

Post by rbodleyscott »

Lines 238-245 in MapGenerate.BSF are what prevents you from increasing force points beyond 2000 in Advanced Options in Custom Battles

Code: Select all

if (fixed0 > 2000)
		{
			fixed0 = 2000;
		}
	if (fixed1 > 2000)
		{
			fixed1 = 2000;
		}
You could simply comment those lines out. We cannot guarantee you won't get bugs at higher points settings.

As has been said elsewhere, don't mod your main build unless you will NEVER play MP. And keep a backup of the vanilla version.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 92&t=87758

Better to use the proper modding system.

https://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Modding
Richard Bodley Scott

matlegob
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by matlegob »

Thank you

It works fine!
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Alternatively, can I change "2000" to "3000" to minimize the bug risk?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

sIg3b wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:41 am Alternatively, can I change "2000" to "3000" to minimize the bug risk?
Yes, but not in your main build if you ever want to play MP.
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 am
sIg3b wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:41 am Alternatively, can I change "2000" to "3000" to minimize the bug risk?
Yes, I will only try that after the tournament is finished! But I can change it back later and play MP again, right?

Bonus question: If the other player makes exactly the same change, could we then play MP skirmishes with 3000 pts?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

sIg3b wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:52 am
rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 am
Yes, I will only try that after the tournament is finished! But I can change it back later and play MP again, right?

Bonus question: If the other player makes exactly the same change, could we then play MP skirmishes with 3000 pts?
Yes, but I would strongly recommend against doing it by modding your main build(s). i.e. DON'T DO IT!

It is easy enough to make a proper mod to do what you want, using the game's built-in modding system, which avoids altering your main build. Then you can both use the same mod when playing larger games, and the system will prevent either of you from accidentally playing games with the wrong version. And you won't have to keep switching your main build back and forth.

Here, I have done it for you:

LARGERCUSTOMBATTLES.zip
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

This is the version that allows armies of up to 3000 points. The modded script is MapGenerate.BSF in LARGERCUSTOMBATTLES/DATA/Battle/Scripts/

Just unzip it and put it in

/Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/CAMPAIGNS

and

/Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/MULTIPLAYER

Then when you want to play a larger Custom Battle just switch module to "Larger Custom Battles" using the "Select another module" button in the Custom Battle setup screen.

If your opponent also installs the mod as above, then they will be able to issue and accept challenges in the "Larger Custom Battles" module, and your main builds will remain "pure".

The system will automatically use the "LARGERCUSTOMBATTLES" module for both sides when an MP challenge has been set up using it, and will prevent challenges created using the "LARGERCUSTOMBATTLES" module from being picked up by anyone who does not have that module installed.

IMPORTANT: If you change the mod subsequently, give the new version a different folder name, to prevent games ending up being played with one player using the wrong version. I stress, folder name not "campaign name", though it would be sensible to change that too in Text1.txt in the mod, to avoid confusion.

Likewise, if anyone else make variations of this mod should call the folder something different if it is to be used for MP games.
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Excellent, thank you! :)
vonBraun00
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by vonBraun00 »

I'm new to forum longtime Slitherine player - I have a few Questions about limits. I created the MOD folder and placed the Core/ArmyList.txt file into the mod. I changed Teutonic Knights to make 3 available in custom battles for 1200-1319 [LI_FEUD_GERMAN], How do I make this unit availability limit, that I change, appear in any level of generated army? If I create a custom battle and want my points to be high and opposing force low, it automatically increases points if I choose large armies to make my mod limit appear? But this increases the enemy points, which is not what I'm looking for. Also, when activating the time warp module to get access to more opposing armies, what do I have to change to make my changed unit availability limits appear?

Example:
Create custom battle.
Advanced setting increase points for my side to 1500+
Change opposing force to lower points like 500
Try to keep large armies so my modded unit limit will appear

Can't get it to work???

Also, where it says;
UNIT_0 Knights_M
// fixed quantity for 2000 point army
MIN_0 3
// total (fixed + selection) quantity for 2000 point army
MAX_0 17

Do I change this to a higher or lower number than 2000 & STRENGTHMULTIPLIER??? Thanks for any help/advice with this challenge for me!

vonBraun00
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

vonBraun00 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:54 pm I'm new to forum longtime Slitherine player - I have a few Questions about limits. I created the MOD folder and placed the Core/ArmyList.txt file into the mod. I changed Teutonic Knights to make 3 available in custom battles for 1200-1319 [LI_FEUD_GERMAN], How do I make this unit availability limit, that I change, appear in any level of generated army? If I create a custom battle and want my points to be high and opposing force low, it automatically increases points if I choose large armies to make my mod limit appear? But this increases the enemy points, which is not what I'm looking for. Also, when activating the time warp module to get access to more opposing armies, what do I have to change to make my changed unit availability limits appear?

Example:
Create custom battle.
Advanced setting increase points for my side to 1500+
Change opposing force to lower points like 500
Try to keep large armies so my modded unit limit will appear

Can't get it to work???

Also, where it says;
UNIT_0 Knights_M
// fixed quantity for 2000 point army
MIN_0 3
MAX_0 17

Do I change this to a higher or lower number than 2000 & STRENGTHMULTIPLIER??? Thanks for any help/advice with this challenge for me!

vonBraun00
Hi vonBraun

First off, I assume you have been trying to get the modded ArmyList.txt to work as a Global Mod by putting it in the MODS folder? Unfortunately, this won't work. The Global Mods system is quite limited in what it can do, probably to stop people cheating in MP (?), and one of the files it cannot read is the ArmyList.txt.

What you will have to do is create your mod in the CAMPAIGNS folder, and then when you want to create a custom battle first select your mod from the list of available modules.

For this mod to work the internal file structure should look like this:

The ArmyList.txt should NOT be within a Core Folder! The file structure of mods is different to the main game folders in some respects.

For the CAMPAIGN.txt and TEXT1.txt you should copy them from another Campaign, and then modify them so that they look like this:

CAMPAIGN.txt

This just gets the game to recognise the mod.

TEXT1.txt

This tells the game what the name of the mod is, and allows you to write an introduction text (if needed).

They have to be in Unicode format for the game to read them, and the easiest way to do that is just copy them from an existing working campaign.

Here is a useful little introduction to working with the ArmyList.txt from Richard:

viewtopic.php?f=492&t=79848

Basically, the MIN and MAX numbers for each unit give the minimum and maximum numbers of units available for a 2000 point army. For smaller battles the game works out the the min and max on a proportional basis. So if you want to make the Imperial Germans have access to 3 Teutonic knights in a 2000 point battle you would change the values to this:

UNIT_16 Knights_Teut
MIN_16 0
MAX_16 3

However, if you wanted them to have 3 Teutonic knights in a 1200 point battle, you would have to give a much higher MAX number, maybe something like this:

UNIT_16 Knights_Teut
MIN_16 0
MAX_16 5

You can change the points assigned to the armies by accessing the Advanced Options in the Custom Battle screen:

For Timewarp, the best option is to just copy the whole Timewarp folder and paste it in your CAMPAIGNS folder. Then make changes to the Timewarp files as required. Make sure to rename it in the Timewarp TEXT1.txt, otherwise you will not be able to tell your modded Timewarp from the vanilla one!

In fact, if you want to mod Timewarp, just create your own modded Timewarp mod, don't bother creating a seperate Custom Battles mod, as you don't have to play with or against ancients armies in Timewarp.

cheers

Paul
Last edited by Paul59 on Mon May 10, 2021 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Paul59 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:54 am What you will have to do is create your mod in the CAMPAIGNS folder, and then when you want to create a custom battle first select your mod from the list of available modules.
Note that this is NOT the CAMPAIGNS folder in your main build, but

/Documents/My Games/FieldOfGloryMedieval/CAMPAIGNS

which is where the game puts single player mods.

You can clone the existing "campaigns" (this is what the engine calls them, although they are more accurately modules) in the Editor to make a version that you can mod, which is stored in /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGloryMedieval/CAMPAIGNS
Richard Bodley Scott

vonBraun00

Post by vonBraun00 »

Thank you Paul for the great instructions. I did step by step what you advised and it appears to work. However, a few follow-up questions.

#1 - I copied the timewarp and placed it in my Documents/MyGames/FOGIIMedieval/Campaigns folder, called it something different and changed the text to reflect new name. The Campaign.txt file shows
LOCK 00000000

VAR BreakPoint1
VAR BreakPoint2

TYPE 2 // SKIRMISH ONLY

Should I remove the "TYPE 2 // SKIRMISH ONLY" like my other mod file to just show??:
LOCK 00000000

VAR BreakPoint1
VAR BreakPoint2

Question #2 - When I launch the Custom Battles and use my new Module timewarp1, my army selection shows all timewarped armies, however the enemy/opponent selection only shows the armies allowed in the custom battle not the full list of opposing armies available in timewarp??

Question 3 - by lowering the fixed quantity to like 1000 will that make the army quantity numbers appear at a lower point army selection??
for 2000 point army
MIN_0 2

Respectfully,
vonBraun00
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

vonBraun00 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm
#1 - I copied the timewarp and placed it in my Documents/MyGames/FOGIIMedieval/Campaigns folder, called it something different and changed the text to reflect new name. The Campaign.txt file shows
LOCK 00000000

VAR BreakPoint1
VAR BreakPoint2

TYPE 2 // SKIRMISH ONLY

Should I remove the "TYPE 2 // SKIRMISH ONLY" like my other mod file to just show??:
LOCK 00000000

VAR BreakPoint1
VAR BreakPoint2
No, you should leave "TYPE 2 // SKIRMISH ONLY" in there, it's not doing any harm.

Question #2 - When I launch the Custom Battles and use my new Module timewarp1, my army selection shows all timewarped armies, however the enemy/opponent selection only shows the armies allowed in the custom battle not the full list of opposing armies available in timewarp??
Have you clicked on the "Date" and "Geographical" filter buttons to turn them off?

If that isn't the reason I am afraid that I don't know. You would have to send your mod to me to investigate further.

Question 3 - by lowering the fixed quantity to like 1000 will that make the army quantity numbers appear at a lower point army selection??
for 2000 point army
MIN_0 2

Respectfully,
vonBraun00
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

cheers

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

vonBraun00

Post by vonBraun00 »

Forgot about Date etc. LOL that works!

In the Army.txt file by changing the fixed 2000 points, will that make the recruitable "mod" quantity numbers available for lower point armies when selecting? Sorry for not explaining real well.

UNIT_0 Knights_E
// fixed quantity for 2000 point army (By changing this number to a lower number?)
MIN_0 4
// total (fixed + selection) quantity for 2000 point army (By changing this number to a lower number?)
MAX_0 20

Regards,
vonBraun00
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vonBraun00 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:29 pm Question 3 - by lowering the fixed quantity to like 1000 will that make the army quantity numbers appear at a lower point army selection??
for 2000 point army
MIN_0 2
That line is just a comment, as indicated by the "//" at the start. Altering it would have no effect.

You can't stop the lists from scaling without messing up the whole system. (And not without extensive script modding).

If you want to have 3 Teutonic Knights available at 900 or 1000 points, then you just make the numbers in the ArmyList.txt

0 (MIN)
6 (MAX)

This will give 4 units at 1200 points, 6 at 2000.
Richard Bodley Scott

vonBraun00

Post by vonBraun00 »

In Custom Battle selection when you go to deployment phase and select the enemy forces and pick which units they have to deploy then hit accept, leaving the enemy with no or very few points (6) how come they change the forces I selected for them??

Thank you Richard for your time in answering my questions.

Regards,
vonBraun00
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

vonBraun00 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 pm In Custom Battle selection when you go to deployment phase and select the enemy forces and pick which units they have to deploy then hit accept, leaving the enemy with no or very few points (6) how come they change the forces I selected for them??

Thank you Richard for your time in answering my questions.

Regards,
vonBraun00
You can't select the enemies units in custom battles. What were you doing to make you think that you could?

FOGII TT Mod Creator

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vonBraun00 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 pm In Custom Battle selection when you go to deployment phase and select the enemy forces and pick which units they have to deploy then hit accept, leaving the enemy with no or very few points (6) how come they change the forces I selected for them??
The enemy army options preview is just a preview of their army list options, and allows you to select units to see what they could afford with the points available. But you can't use it to select the forces they will actually use.

However, if you really want to do so, you can do so by selecting HotSeat mode in Options, select and deploy your forces, End Turn then select and deploy the enemy forces. Then turn Hotseat mode off again so the AI takes over its forces again to play out the battle.
Richard Bodley Scott

vonBraun00

Post by vonBraun00 »

That's the ticket Richard!!! HotSeat mode in Options allows me to pick the opposing force and place them - THANK YOU!!

One more challenge, hopefully I explain this right. When creating a map in the editor, how do you allow allow that newly created map to be played in a battle??

Thanks again for your patience and your time helping me understand.

Regards,
vonBraun00
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

vonBraun00 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:57 pm That's the ticket Richard!!! HotSeat mode in Options allows me to pick the opposing force and place them - THANK YOU!!

One more challenge, hopefully I explain this right. When creating a map in the editor, how do you allow allow that newly created map to be played in a battle??
If you mean in a Custom Battle, you can't.

You have to add all the troops, and (unless it is MP) scripted AI.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”