500 P&S unit (66% musketeers) : two little clouds of smoke

500 Musketeers : one big cloud

Your units : one bigger cloud ?

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: 18th Century mod right here Frederick the Great Age of Reaso

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

The smoke did not cause any lag for me, or at least no more than the scenario as a whole. Lag was noticeable from the first move of a unit. Very strange.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

I've just checked in James' original scenarii without scripts : there's smoke and no lag. So maybe FPS drops happen when the P&S scripts (opportunity fire...) and capabilities (?) are imported into FoG2 engine ?

btw I'm under the impression that windowed mode helps to gain about 10 FPS.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The pike and shot units were given two smaller clouds of smoke because the pikes aren't shooting. But the smoke emitters in P&S units are done on a whole unit basis, rather than each model as per arrows in FOG2. (Actually, of course, P&S units only have one model per unit).
Richard Bodley Scott

Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Thanks to Richard for the help.
In P&S: 1 unit - 1 model. For this model one, two, three or more emitters are created depending on the situation.
In FoG2 mod: eg. 1 grenadier unit - 8 models. I created three emitters of two types for the model with a musket like this

Then I wrote to austria_hung_grenadier.TXT
[FIRE00]
FRM 31 147
FX 0 1
FX 1 2
SFX 11 308
That's all: smoke is present during shooting. In the game you see the smoke from 8 models.
Athos1660 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:15 pm btw I'm under the impression that windowed mode helps to gain about 10 FPS.
The windowed mode helps to increase FPS in other games too.
Last edited by Cronos09 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Does it increase FPS ?
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos, I figured out the reason for the low FPS - my conclusion, as I wrote earlier, the graphics of the units are 'heavy' for the game engine.
When I am starting to play converted Soor I get 27-28 FPS FULL HD on an average. By the end of the game, when there are fewer units on the map, I have 36-37 FPS.
I checked Leuthen scenario by James Manhattan, where he used more units that I did in Soor, and I got 21-22 FPS at the start. In addition, the almost complete absence of animation and the 4x faster movement (in comparison with P&S, in my mod - 2x one) of his units create the appearance of a smooth gameplay.
Perhaps, there are more lags in my mod, but the reason for this is most likely the work of scripts.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

1) I've just looked at the UnitTextures of both the Vanilla game and your/Manhattan's mods.
Your textures weigh about 1-1,33 Mo each (1024x1024). Those of James Manhattan weigh up to 4 Mo (2048x2048).
Those of the Vanilla games (each unit has 3 textures : a Spec, Normal and Diffuse one) weigh each 341 Ko (512x512).

What about 'compressing' your texture pics to make them lighter ?

2) Are there parts of the scripts that are specific to the Ancient period in Vanilla FoG2 (such as the mechanisms of say the Defensive spears) and that are not used by your mod so that one could remove them from the scripts of your mod to make them 'lighter' ?

Would both operations help FPS ?
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:15 pm Would both operations help FPS ?
1) Maybe, but I am not sure. This can be learned from experience.
2) This will improve the situation with lags. You can already delete MountDismount.BSF. It is not used in the scenario. Thanks to Richard for the hint.
The rest unused attribites I will remove later.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

It is very nice of Richard, indeed.

I'll try a quick/rough image compression of the textures to see if it helps.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Image Compression of UNITTEXTURES :
512x512 px instead of 1024x1024
72 ppp
BC2/DXT3
Texture size : 256 Ko instead of about 1Mo

A slight improvement imho. Tell me.

Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/s8thc5n2 ... S.rar/file

(Location of the folder : C:\Users\Users\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS\SOOR\DATA\BATTLE\UNITTEXTURES)
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cronos09 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 pm 2) This will improve the situation with lags. You can already delete MountDismount.BSF. It is not used in the scenario. Thanks to Richard for the hint.
If I delete a script such as MountDismount.BSF in the folder of your mod, won't the engine still 'open' and 'read' the same original script in the folder of the Vanilla game, in such a way that it won't have any impact on the performances ? Would it not be better to keep an empty MountDismount.BSF in the folder of your mod ? Note that I don't know anything on the subject...
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:59 am
Cronos09 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 pm 2) This will improve the situation with lags. You can already delete MountDismount.BSF. It is not used in the scenario. Thanks to Richard for the hint.
If I delete a script such as MountDismount.BSF in the folder of your mod, won't the engine still 'open' and 'read' the same original script in the folder of the Vanilla game, in such a way that it won't have any impact on the performances ? Would it not be better to keep an empty MountDismount.BSF in the folder of your mod ? Note that I don't know anything on the subject...
Delete it and do not doubt. During the game an error constantly occurs in the debugger due to this file.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Copy that ! :-)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:55 pm Image Compression of UNITTEXTURES :
512x512 px instead of 1024x1024
72 ppp
BC2/DXT3
Texture size : 256 Ko instead of about 1Mo

A slight improvement imho. Tell me.
I played with these textures and don't notice the changes with FPS.

Now what P&S2 can be in the setting of battles of the 18th century - the SP version of SOOR by Edward77 converted to FoG2. The archive should be unzipped at ...\Documents\My Games\FieldOfGlory2\CAMPAIGNS\.... See EPIC BATTLES - SOOR 1745 scenario.
Thanks to Paul59 for the provided banners.
The main features:
1) P&S functional: Musket, Bayonets, Shooting Pistol, Impact Mounted, Impact Pistol, Melee Pistol, Medium Artillery, RG are added.
2) Full reactive fire for muskets and cannons (like in P&S), ammunition for 7 (13 shots including reactive ones) turns of shooting at full effect. Artillery ammo is unlimited. In order to save ammunition, the AI will not shoot at routed units during CompleteLastTurnShooting (a player can shoot at them if he wishes).
3) Grenadiers have Bombs. The Bombs are used automatically during the charge before the impact phase with a corresponding animation. I separate the use of bombs from the shooting process. The bombs are available for only one throw/one charge. They then disappear from the unit's attributes (see the infopanel). In this case, they are used only for charging, not for shooting.
4) Canister shot for the guns. It is made automatically at a distance of 4 tiles or less from the cannon. In this case, a tooltip will appear above the gun. The losses from this shot will be greater (as a rule), in any case, the minimum ones will be above zero.
5) Infantry cannot charge an unengaged cavalry i.e. infantry can only charge cavalry if it is in melee. ZoCs work like in FoG2 (without changes).
6) The Austrian Cuirassiers have Shooting Pistol. The Prussian Cuirassiers shoot automatically before charging and they do not have shooting option according to Frederick's instructions.
7) I reduced the increment of Impact Foot from 200 to 100 vs Foot (like in P&S) and 50 vs Cavalry.

I had to decrease the converted Soor scenario in comparison with the original to keep the acceptable FPS and the units have 1.5x faster movement in comparison with P&S. The scripts were checked for errors in the debugger. Lags are absent or minimal. Thanks to Richard for the hint.
Last edited by Cronos09 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

- Not a fan of your sound of muskets (even if historical ?). Quite strident imho. What about using the original sound of P&S / Vanilla FoG2 (the standard handgun_volley_sound02) ?
- Shooting pistol maybe a bit to powerful ? I am under the impression that opportunity fire of say 350 cavalrymen = initial shooting of say 500 infantrymen ! Twice, casualties were very near when the latter shot at the former and then the former shot an opportunity fire.
- Impact Foot = 100 vs Foot is much better imho, as discussed before. Infantry is more balanced.
- Was smoke diminished ?
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cronos09 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:28 pm 6) The Austrian Cuirassiers have Shooting Pistol. The Prussian Cuirassiers shoot automatically before charging and they do not have shooting option according to Frederick's instructions.
1) As I see it, a charge between the Austrian and the Prussian might look like this (but I may be mistaken) :
- The Prussian charge at full gallop, swords drawn
- The Austrian are feverishly awaiting immobile til the Prussian are near, then shoot with their small musket (mousqueton). Only a few Prussian casualties. That won't stop the Prussian charge. The Austrian try to take their sword and start their charge but it is too late, they are just at a trot (or a slow gallop) when the Prussian 'crash' into them. The Austrian panic. 'Impact'. The faster Prussian scatter the Austrian squadrons.

2) The charge in game :

The units
The Austrian : Pistol Shooting, Pistol Melee (so no impact capabilities)
The Prussian : Impact Mounted 50%, Pistol Melee 75%

The charge
- Before the charge, the Prussian shoot : about 25 Austrian casualties (which surprises me. Did Prussian Cavalry shoot automatically before charging ? What about the Austrian ? At long range ? This pre-charge shooting is very (too ?) powerful anyway.)
- Impact : Net PoA +50 for the Prussian. In the following case, it is a draw :18 Prussian casualties vs 22 Austrian ones.

Result of the charge : 47 Austrian casualties vs 18 Prussian ones. No CT for the Austrian.

3) I am under the impression that this charge could be made differently, focusing on a more powerful impact by the Prussian.

For example, how about using a plain Impact mounted for the Prussian vs Pistol Impact for the Austrian , then a plain Pistol melee vs Pistol melee as in P&S for the late 17th century (making units average so Austrian Impact pistol +100 against any except the Prussian impact mounted, so it would be Net PoA+100 for the Prussian at impact) ? No pre-charge shooting. As for Austrian Pistol Shooting, I don't know.
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:19 pm - Not a fan of your sound of muskets (even if historical ?). Quite strident imho. What about using the original sound of P&S / Vanilla FoG2 (the standard handgun_volley_sound02) ?
- Shooting pistol maybe a bit to powerful ? I am under the impression that opportunity fire of say 350 cavalrymen = initial shooting of say 500 infantrymen ! Twice, casualties were very near when the latter shot at the former and then the former shot an opportunity fire.
- Impact Foot = 100 vs Foot is much better imho, as discussed before. Infantry is more balanced.
- Was smoke diminished ?
- You probably forget how muskets sound in P&S. Listen to all 4 files handgun_volley_sound02.wav , HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND03.wav, HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND04.wav, HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND05.wav. Maybe, you guess which one I chose.
- Shooting Pistol scripts are taken from P&S without changes.
- Smoke without changes.
Athos1660 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:36 am
2) The charge in game :

The units
The Austrian : Pistol Shooting, Pistol Melee (so no impact capabilities)
The Prussian : Impact Mounted 50%, Pistol Melee 75%

The charge
- Before the charge, the Prussian shoot : about 25 Austrian casualties (which surprises me. Did Prussian Cavalry shoot automatically before charging ? What about the Austrian ? At long range ? This pre-charge shooting is very (too ?) powerful anyway.)
- Impact : Net PoA +50 for the Prussian. In the following case, it is a draw :18 Prussian casualties vs 22 Austrian ones.

Result of the charge : 47 Austrian casualties vs 18 Prussian ones. No CT for the Austrian.
Good result of the Prussian charge. The Austrians stood it without dropping their morale. To compensate for the power charge, I did 75 Pistol Melee for the Prussians vs 100 one for the Austrians.
This feature suits me commpletely. I see no reason to refuse it.
Athos1660

Post by Athos1660 »

Cronos09 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 am - You probably forget how muskets sound in P&S. Listen to all 4 files handgun_volley_sound02.wav , HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND03.wav, HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND04.wav, HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND05.wav. Maybe, you guess which one I chose.
I am not that worn out.
In my Vanilla P&S (Steam version) after verifying integrity of games files, I still have one and only one HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND file, that is handgun_volley_sound02.wav, which has nothing to do with your handgun_volley_sound02.wav in your mod folder...

I keep on preferring the handgun_volley_sound02.wav in P&S or Vanilla FoG2.
Cronos09 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:21 am This feature suits me commpletely. I see no reason to refuse it.
Might be one of the differences between you and Frederick II... :-)
Cronos09

Post by Cronos09 »

Athos1660 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am I am not that worn out.
In my Vanilla P&S (Steam version) after verifying integrity of games files, I still have one and only one HANDGUN_VOLLEY_SOUND file, that is handgun_volley_sound02.wav, which has nothing to do with your handgun_volley_sound02.wav in your mod folder...

I keep on preferring the handgun_volley_sound02.wav in P&S or Vanilla FoG2.
My mod does not interfere with your preferences.
Athos1660 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am Might be one of the main differences between you and Frederick II... :-)
I won't even ask about minor ones :)

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”