Rise and Fall Krimisos AAR & Analysis

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Rise and Fall Krimisos AAR & Analysis

Post by sIg3b »

Let us start with evaluating the army lists. The map is fairly open, giving Syracuse a clear advantage thanks to its near infinite supply of Hoplites. Carthage has perhaps the more interesting army, but being interesting is not a tangible advantage; 20 Hoplite units are.
heavy.jpg
heavy.jpg (85.99 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Rise and Fall Krimisos AAR & Analysis

Post by sIg3b »

I am working from the assumption that, for any given combination of army lists and map, there will usually be a superior side and an inferior side. And you shouldn´t use equal strategies for them, because that makes no sense.

Starting with the superior side, the fact is that, supposing equal luck and equal skill, you win by default. Therefore simplify; take no risks; play conservatively. Don´t try anything fancy; that is what, willy-nilly, the inferior side has to do. They must muddle the waters and try to confuse you. But, as the superior side, avoid to confuse yourself.

So, as the Syracusans, all my decisions were about keeping it simple. I didn´t buy a single non-light cavalry, because cavalry is about mobility and the Syracusans are about toughness. They do not need much mobility. Play to your strengths! I didn´t buy Warbands, because they are a gamble, and we talked about taking no risks. I passed on Raw Hoplites, for the same reason.

I bought both Veteran Hoplites, all Citizen Hoplites and all Mercenary Hoplites but one. I also bought all light units but one as an insurance policy: The only thing that is seriously dangerous to an endless line of Hoplites are shooters, so best to have the most shooters myself. Artillery was an interesting decision; there was a case for both or none. It certainly would have made sense as a complement to my many shooters. Ultimately I opted against, to afford more Hoplites. I bought a couple Scutarii to cover the Rough on my right flank and a couple cheap Italians to boost my numbers, in case my opponent went all medium. My setup was all but fancy, the simple plan being to counter and negate anything fancy my opponent might try.
Screen_00000066.jpg
Screen_00000066.jpg (957.52 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

I think it was very hard to come up with anything to beat the all-purpose Syracusan setup above. But my opponent had to try something, and what he did try was to send a detachment around the little lake on the left to attack my flank.

The problem with this strategy was that I could countermarch wth a just slightly superior force and his detachment would be separated by the lake from the rest of his army with no way to reinforce it fast.
Screen_00000069.jpg
Screen_00000069.jpg (974.53 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

sIg3b wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:23 pm I am working from the assumption that, for any given combination of army lists and map, there will usually be a superior side and an inferior side. And you shouldn´t use equal strategies for them, because that makes no sense.

Starting with the superior side, the fact is that, supposing equal luck and equal skill, you win by default. Therefore simplify; take no risks; play conservatively. Don´t try anything fancy; that is what, willy-nilly, the inferior side has to do. They must muddle the waters and try to confuse you. But, as the superior side, avoid to confuse yourself.

So, as the Syracusans, all my decisions were about keeping it simple. I didn´t buy a single non-light cavalry, because cavalry is about mobility and the Syracusans are about toughness. They do not need much mobility. Play to your strengths! I didn´t buy Warbands, because they are a gamble, and we talked about taking no risks. I passed on Raw Hoplites, for the same reason.

I bought both Veteran Hoplites, all Citizen Hoplites and all Mercenary Hoplites but one. I also bought all light units but one as an insurance policy: The only thing that is seriously dangerous to an endless line of Hoplites are shooters, so best to have the most shooters myself. Artillery was an interesting decision; there was a case for both or none. It certainly would have made sense as a complement to my many shooters. Ultimately I opted against, to afford more Hoplites. I bought a couple Scutarii to cover the Rough on my right flank and a couple cheap Italians to boost my numbers, in case my opponent went all medium. My setup was all but fancy, the simple plan being to counter and negate anything fancy my opponent might try.

Screen_00000066.jpg
Good and interesting reasoning: thanks!
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643

Return to “Field of Glory II: After Action Reports”