Tides of Conquest - Successors Mod

SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Tides of Conquest - Successors Mod

Post by SteveD64 »

My diplomacy has been successful. Hopefully I can wait out another turn or two.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Seleucids on the march in Asia Minor. I will be fighting them in Pamphylia with the Mountain Tribes.

Oh, and a Scythian Horde has arrived in Moesia (the horse icon). Lock your doors!

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

While I wasn't expecting victory with the Mountain Tribes there was a glimmer of hope when I totally defeated the Seleucid cavalry charge on my left wing. They foolishly charged a well fortified hill and suffered accordingly. As the game wound down the pikes and elephants came in and that was the end of it. I managed to inflict more casualties on the enemy but my rout levels were worse 30-22. The Pamphylians even managed to rout a phalanx on the last turn, so that's a moral victory of sorts.

Last edited by SteveD64 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

There's a lot of things going this turn so I'd thought I'd show the turn report:

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

292BC saw the Antigonids defeat a Ptolemaic raid into Phoenicia. I was lucky enough fight a level III battle, any higher and I'm not favored to win. As a result Arados becomes my ally. I could use all the friends I can get. My strategic situation is poor in 291BC. I'm between the Seleucids and Ptolemies. It's tempting to march on Egypt but a protracted war with a fairly robust economy is daunting. I'll have to mull it over.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

The Ptolemies have declared war on me so the die is cast. We march on Egypt.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

As I expected the Ptolemies are moving into Phoenicia again but this time my main army will be there. Bad luck on the battle generator die roll and I'm forced to fight them on level V which is not good.

Last edited by SteveD64 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Managed to get a victory at level V, 41-37. The last turn saw the Ptolemies take the lead and then lose it on the last melee as one of their phalanx broke and fled the field.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

The situation in the East as the Seleucids retake Bactria, which had become independent. Arachosia is now eyeing independence and goes from core province to ally.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

288BC sees me receiving an event! A horde has appeared in Cappadocia and it's on the move. It has allied with me as it sniffs the sweet smell of success. I've also declared war on the Ptolemies after their raid into Phoenicia. These things can't be tolerated, so I march into Judea to face their army. The battle generator gives me a battle at level IV so I think we're evenly matched.

SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Double disaster. My allied Cappadocian horde lost in Asia Minor and my army was beaten by the Ptolemies in Judea. My dream of relocating the Antigonids to Egypt has ended in disgrace. I think I'll end this AAR here. The historical road that Demetrious took (I think it was Rhodes to Greece then to Macedon) may have been the smarter move (although Rhodes held out against the besieger).

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Very nice! I hope the scaling battles were enough of a challenge without ramping up difficulty too quickly.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Thank you! For battle difficulty I came up with my own house rules depending on whether there was an army present or if it was a raid etc. So if my army attacks a garrison there's a good chance I'm fighting at level III (but it's not 100% for certain). If two armies are fighting then the middle of the bell curve is level IV (level III and V are outliers). It's basically just a spreadsheet with a chart that generates a random number. This is the single player empire scenario.

Above all I tried to sloooooow the game down. Battles should not occur every turn, crisis should be slower in coming, raids don't happen as often, random events are rarer etc. I really need to learn how to code though :wink:
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

That sounds like a good system if you want a bit of variation in the Empires mode.

For slowing things down, the easiest way to do that would be to halve income (thus allowing fewer operations), halve crisis accumulation, and halve influence accumulation. I can find the relevant functions if you need them.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Thanks, but I figured all that out. :P

What are the rules on rebellions and rival factions? Do they eventually go away after time?

I'd like to get sieges in there somehow and get more operational in scale. I've got a map idea for Pike and Shot so maybe later on I'll try to tackle that.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Rebellions should collapse once the rebel army runs out of resources.

Re rival factions, what do you mean by that?

More operational options would be good fun...
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Rebellions never seem to go away. I'll have to check on the code.

When two realms back factions in a province there's a rival factions event. If the player backs one of the factions it allows him to intervene.

Here's the drawing code for Rival Factions (I changed the graphics but I kept your original code as a backup).

if (province.Influences.Count > 1)
{
var influence2Color = CurrentCampaign.Realms[province.Influences[1]].Color;
//DrawIfInMap(whitepixel, provincePosition4, new Vector2(10, 10), influence2Color, 0.06f);//rival factions
DrawIfInMap(RivalFactions, provincePositionRivalFactions, new Vector2(1, 1), influence2Color, 0.06f);
//spriteBatch.Draw(whitepixel, provincePosition4, null, null, origin, 0, new Vector2(8, 8), influence2Color, effects, 0.06f);

}
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Ah! Rival factions in a neutral province.

They go away when one side intervenes. I don't think I had a code to make them ever resolve on their own.

I can imagine that, with rebellions, if maintenance or income are changed they can become either very persistent or very fragile. I should probably have a more robust system for that.
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Nijis, question if you're still monitoring.

There's a line of description (Realm Tab, Line 20) that says:

//this means you always lose a battle unless there you have an army involved. Ie, overrunning of the Western empire

I'm trying to implement this but there's no actual code that I can see. Any ideas on what that refers to?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Sorry! I removed the code in question.

The feature that was represented, and is still in the game, is for provinces in empires in crisis to not defend themselves. They'll automatically lose any battle unless there is an army there.

The current function is public bool DoesNotDefend(Campaign campaign) in namespace Province.

My code is v0.5xx, but I think it's the same in 0.4xx.

Return to “Field of Glory II: After Action Reports”