The West is No More (476 AD) - Tournament 1: Abandoned

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: The West is No More (476 AD) - Tournament 1

Post by kronenblatt »

Soissons declares Overlord Overthrow attack upon Franks in Lugdunensis (XII), as per PM from peterpiper.
Aetius39 wrote:
=> Aetius39: you're next.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Captainwaltersavage
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Captainwaltersavage »

In the absence of any other report of war. The Frank's will attack from their homeland against the Burgundians to the south.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Captainwaltersavage wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:48 pm In the absence of any other report of war. The Frank's will attack from their homeland against the Burgundians to the south.
Thanks, CWS! :)

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Foreign Invasion by Western Huns into Ostrogothic Dacia (IX).

(since my province as Alamans is attacked, I cannot do any Alaman attacks myself.)

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Raid by Moors from XXVI Mauretania into XXI Baetica!
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
olin0111
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by olin0111 »

Visigoths declare conquest of Suevian Gallaecia (XX) from Tarraconensis (XIX)
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Round 3 (488 AD)

These were the attack declarations made
1. tyronec: West Rome (FP adjustment = 17) (Mar. 17) => Conquest: West Rome attacks Alamans in Raetia from Pannonia, calling upon vassals Gepids.
2. MadMaxBot: East Rome (FP adjustment = 13) (Mar. 18)
3. peterpiper: Soissons (FP adjustment = 9) (Mar. 19) => Overlord Overthrow: Soissons attacks Franks in Lugdunensis.
4. Aetius39: Ostrogoths (FP adjustment = -8) (Mar. 20) = Raid: Moors attacks Visigoths in Baetica.
5. CaptainWalterSavage: Franks (FP adjustment = -22) (Mar. 21) => Conquest: Franks attacks Burgundians in Alpes from Belgica.
6. kronenblatt: Alamans (FP adjustment = -38) (Mar. 22) => Foreign Invasion: Western Huns attacks Ostrogoths in Dacia (IX).
7. olin0111: Visigoths (FP adjustment = -67) (Mar. 23) =>Conquest: Visigoths attacks Suevians in Gallaecia (XX) from Tarraconensis (XIX).

These will be the corresponding battles
1a. Conquest in VI Raetia: tyronec as West Rome (1617 FP) attacks kronenblatt as Alamans (1562 FP)
1b. Conquest in VI Raetia: tyronec as Gepids (1600 FP) attacks kronenblatt as Alamans (1562 FP)
3. Overlord Overthrow in XII Lugdunensis: peterpiper as Soissons (1609 FP) attacks CaptainWalterSavage as Franks (1578 FP)
4. Raid in XXI Baetica: Aetius39 as Moors (1200 FP) attacks olin0111 as Visigoths (1200 FP)
5. Foreign Invasion in IX Dacia: kronenblatt as Western Huns (1600 FP) attacks Aetius39 as Ostrogoths (1592 FP)
6. Conquest in V Alpes: CaptainWalterSavage as Franks (1578 FP) attacks olin0111 as Burgundians (1600 FP)
7. Conquest in XX Gallaecia: olin0111 as Visigoths (1533 FP) attacks peterpiper as Suevians (1600 FP)

Please note the following
  • Battles are resolved simultaneously during a three-week period of Mar. 22 - Apr. 12.
  • The chooser of the map type (attacker in revolt and raid, defender in all other attack types) creates the challenge and reports the battle results: who's victor and loser (if any), always specifying the incurred casualties and whether any faction's C-in-C fell in battle.
  • Make sure you have The West is No More v1 mod downloaded and installed (available in-game*).
  • When setting up the challenge in-game, in Multiplayer Lobby under My Challenges, through pressing New Challenge and then Create Skirmish, choose Select Another Module, mark The West is No More v1 and click LAUNCH. The factions can now be chosen for the battle.
  • All battles are 24 turns and uses Remove the Head (i.e., the battle will end also when one side’s C-in-C falls in battle with that side becoming the loser), but all other other battle characteristics (force points, map size, map terrain and who chooses it) depends on the attack type (see Types of Attacks in the rules) and the defender province in which the battle takes place.
  • No map re-rolls are allowed.
Enjoy! Any questions? Please post them here.

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Battles set up for Olin and Kronenblatt.

pw is twinm

Have fun!
Captainwaltersavage

I want to bring my anglo saxon allies to my battles - i can do that in my set up but should have declared that sooner?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Captainwaltersavage wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:44 am I want to bring my anglo saxon allies to my battles - i can do that in my set up but should have declared that sooner?
That should be fine and no big deal: just double check that the attack types allow it. For Conquest there shouldn't be a problem, but I'm unsure about Overlord Overthrow.

Then notify your opponent about it, in case you're not the one setting up the battle.

Captainwaltersavage

Rules say yes I can. Cheers.
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:50 pm 6. Conquest in V Alpes: CaptainWalterSavage as Franks (1578 FP) attacks olin0111 as Burgundians (1600 FP)
Olin0111 defeats CaptainWalterSavage 14-0 as Frankish C-in-C was kind enough to die quicly in combat!
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

kronenblatt wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:50 pm 4. Raid in XXI Baetica: Aetius39 as Moors (1200 FP) attacks olin0111 as Visigoths (1200 FP)
olin0111 defeats Aetius39 59-32
The raid is repelled!
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

Frankish C-in-C was kind enough to die quicly in combat!
The one rule I am not keen on in this campaign is that a CinC gets killed in someone else's battle and we all have to lose our factions.
Could we have a rule change so that only players who have their CinC killed have to pick a new faction next round, the rest of us stick with what we have got ?
Would bring some more continuity into the campaign.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

tyronec wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:32 am
The one rule I am not keen on in this campaign is that a CinC gets killed in someone else's battle and we all have to lose our factions.
Could we have a rule change so that only players who have their CinC killed have to pick a new faction next round, the rest of us stick with what we have got ?
I understand where you're coming from, and keeping the factions is the normal way in the tournaments. Which could very well be the case in this tournament as well.

But I kind of like the faction rotations occurring upon C-in-C falling in battle. It creates some nice and unusual dynamic and lack of continuity, appropriate for this turbulent era of migrations and grand conquest, and is in my view suitable, since the armies are so different. And it will also be interesting how it'll all look politically when the tournament has ended.

So I'd like to keep the faction rotations in this tournament: it's what really separates this tournament from the other historical ones that I'm running.

Next time we could make it differently, depending on the number of players participating. Maybe have just a few players involved, each permanently representing a (one-province) "barbarian" major faction trying to dominate the world.

tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

OK, your decision - and it does mean we get to fight with lots of different armies.
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Actually I've really come to not care for the c-c dying in combat and it's all over. The concept sounds cool but in reality it's really annoying/frustrating. It's like you played a whole game for nothing...all the strategy and planning, and fighting...all for naught as it came down to luck that your c-c randomly falls. I think some kind of "punishment" for losing the c-c is fine, but straight out losing the battle, especially one your winning, is agitating.^^

Wondering what others think of it?

And...I swear...in regular battles I almost never lose the c-c...but here...it seems much damn higher! :)
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

I'm ok either way but If people want to change it maybe C-in-C death can cost you some penalty in VPs and still cause a factions switch but not cost you a battle?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

tyronec wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 am ... it does mean we get to fight with lots of different armies...
Yes, that's another argument.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Aetius39 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:39 am
Actually I've really come to not care for the c-c dying in combat and it's all over. The concept sounds cool but in reality it's really annoying/frustrating. It's like you played a whole game for nothing...all the strategy and planning, and fighting...all for naught as it came down to luck that your c-c randomly falls. I think some kind of "punishment" for losing the c-c is fine, but straight out losing the battle, especially one your winning, is agitating.^^

Wondering what others think of it?

And...I swear...in regular battles I almost never lose the c-c...but here...it seems much damn higher! :)
Your comment concerns the Remove the Head scenario as a whole?

True, maybe it suits usurper civil-war type tournaments (An Empire in Flames, The Year of Many Emperors, et al) better than other types. Let's complete this tournament and see what can be done differently and better for next time.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”