Ruin and Conquest of Britain - Tournament I: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Ruin and Conquest of Britain: Tournament I

Post by Aetius39 »

Fantastic, can't wait to Saxonize Romano-Britland!^^

I like the two new rules, especially being able to get the mercenary units.
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

Aetius39 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 pm Fantastic, can't wait to Saxonize Romano-Britland!^^

It's great, isn't it! (Although you're now Welsh, and I'm Pictish...) And I've amended it to three rule changes, being able to select also your own type of units as mercenary units (e.g., Picts can select Pictish-type mercenary units.)
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

kronenblatt wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:14 pm
Aetius39 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 pm Fantastic, can't wait to Saxonize Romano-Britland!^^

It's great, isn't it! (Although you're now Welsh, and I'm Pictish...) And I've amended it to three rule changes, being able to select also your own type of units as mercenary units (e.g., Picts can select Pictish-type mercenary units.)
Ah yes, I mean, Welshify the Romano-Brits!^^
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Some aspects to keep in mind and be reminded of:
  • All armies' pools are now restated to 1600 FP, with all units in the pools now available again.
  • However, for engagements (= games) only units worth 1200 FP in total are selected, so that in all games 1200 FP are pitted against 1200 FP.
  • Casualties in the games will reduce the army pool and lead to units having to be removed, but 1200 FP worth of units (still available in the army pool) are still selected for the games.
  • In order to allow for this selection (whether units from the Mercenary Warbands allies are selected or not), challenges for 2000 FP are always set up (but still only 1200 FP are used to select units).
  • Each army's pool and its available units are presented in the form of the table below:
  • The tournament will end as soon as one army's pool is below 1200 FP or a faction has lost three or more of its five starting points (whichever occurs earlier).
  • Starting points:
    • Romano-Britons: Durocobrivis, Braughing, Venonis, Durobrivae (northern), Derventio (near Ratae Corieltauvorum).
    • Picts: Alauna, Aballava, Aesica, Coria, Arbeia (Caer Urfa).
    • Welsh: Condate, Caer Sws, Pennocrucio, Magnis, Vertis.

kronenblatt

Round 6: Order Giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 6's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of you have.

Please send to me through replying to my PM by Tuesday August 31 (9 PM, Swedish time) at the latest, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). I will not open the PMs of any of the factions other than my own until I've published the movement instructions of the Pictish armies.

For details, please check Giving orders and Movement in the RULES.

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the tournament thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together, especially now that we've been away for summer and have two new players (Giacofa93 and carpenkm). This is for fun, after all! :)

kronenblatt

Interested in Romano-British armies?

Post by kronenblatt »

No sign of life from TheGrayMouser either, despite PMs. Apparently he's not around the forum and hasn't been for quite some time. Hope he's well.

So I'm currently looking for a replacement player, who can team up with TomoeGozen as Romano-Britons and take over TheGrayMouser's Romano-British armies 2 and 4. Please post here or PM me. We'll then have six dedicated and committed players in this tournament with this truly wonderful map and setting!

I can promise you imminent fighting against the Welsh, and Aetius39 and carpenkm there. And soon enough against Giacofa93's and my Picts. :)

EDIT: Doyley50 stepped in. :)

kronenblatt

Round 6: Movement Execution

Post by kronenblatt »

kronenblatt

Round 6: Armies retreating?

Post by kronenblatt »

Will any of these armies facing each other retreat? Please let me know ASAP, or at the latest by tomorrow, or I'll assume no retreat (of course):
  • Armies 3 and 5.
  • Armies 4 and 9.
EDIT: I have now, starting the next round, removed the option to retreat from the rules, since it just adds more work and effort by me and all players involved, no one has yet retreated, and this tournament is about playing FoG2 games after all. :)

Giacofa93
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Giacofa93 »

Army 5 standing :D
kronenblatt

Round 6: Battle resolution

Post by kronenblatt »

The following "engagements" (as FoG2 games are called in this campaign) will be fought:
  • Brito-Roman Army 3 (TomoeGozen) versus Pictish army 5 (Giacofa93). TomoeGozen sets up game.
  • Brito-Roman Army 4 (Doyley50) versus Welsh army 9 (Aetius39). Aetius39 sets up game.

Please set up as follows in Field of Glory II: Ancients in accordance with rules' Engagements and battles:
  • Conquestu Britanniae v1 module (downloaded for MP in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns.
  • 32 x 32 map size.
  • 2000 FP force size for both armies, but only 1200 FP (adjusted for any effects from e.g. structures, such as controlled Cities nearby) are spent on units from the army's pool of remaining units, see below.
  • Map type on the terrain as specified in the rules' Map terrain of engagements.
  • Always Mercenary Warbands as allies (even if no mercenary units selected) with the actual number of mercenary units that can be used depending on the following:
    • A faction can in total select four plus twice as many units of mercenaries as the number of Mines that it controls at the beginning of the round, to be distributed among its armies during that round.
    • However, a maximum of six mercenary units can be used by an army in any individual engagement.
    • Examples:
      • If seven Mines are controlled by the faction, it can select up to eighteen (4 + 2x7 = 18) mercenary units as a whole for its armies during a round, but for no individual army more than six mercenary units.
      • If no Mines are controlled by the faction, it can still select up to four mercenary units as a whole for its armies during a round, distributed among its armies.
  • 1200 FP worth of units (adjusted for any ally units selected from Mercenary Warbands) are thus picked from the following list so that 800 FP remain of the 2000 FP set up when the engagement begins:
    • Again, the 1200 FP may be adjusted (and correspondingly the 800 FP) due to e.g. structures, such as controlled Cities nearby.

Resolving and reporting the battles:
  • Please create the challenge (with yourself always as Side B) by September 5 at the latest, and thereafter send a PM to your opponent and make a post in the tournament thread.
  • Please conclude games by October 1 at the latest.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, reports the results in the tournament thread.

Example of how an engagement between Romano-Britons and Anglo-Saxons (no longer in the tournament) is set up (again always with Mercenary Warbands as allies for both armies):

TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

Brito-Roman Army 3 (TomoeGozen) versus Pictish army 5 (Giacofa93).

Game created , PM sent.
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Aetius Welsh army 9 vs. Doyley50 Brito-Roman Army 4 set up.

pw britain
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Aetius (Welsh) defeats Doyley50 (Britons) 47-6

The battle took place on and near a large stream. Some key flanks broke the Briton warbands, while their cavalry was held back long enough to carry the day. GG!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

The following "engagement" is still not concluded:
  • Brito-Roman Army 3 (TomoeGozen) versus Pictish army 5 (Giacofa93). TomoeGozen sets up game.
Giacofa93 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 am Army 5 standing :D
TomoeGozen wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:05 pm Brito-Roman Army 3 (TomoeGozen) versus Pictish army 5 (Giacofa93).

Game created , PM sent.
What's the status?

Please note that it is the winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, who reports the results in this thread.

Giacofa93

Post by Giacofa93 »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:19 am The following "engagement" is still not concluded:
Giacofa93 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 am Army 5 standing :D
TomoeGozen wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:05 pm Brito-Roman Army 3 (TomoeGozen) versus Pictish army 5 (Giacofa93).

Game created , PM sent.
What's the status?

Please note that it is the winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, who reports the results in this thread.
Approaching the end. IIRC we are 57-59, just to give an idea of the fierceness of the struggle :D
Giacofa93

Post by Giacofa93 »

Giacofa93 (Pictish army 5) defeats TomoeGozen (Brito-Roman Army 3) 60-57

I think the final score says it all. A compelling battle where the tides switched from one side to the other more than once. GG to TomoeGozen
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

It was an incredible game! Thanks Giacofa.
kronenblatt

Round 6: Post-Battle Army Pools

Post by kronenblatt »

So this is the status of the army pools after the two battles this round.

Please note that even though army pools formally stand at 1600 FP, no armies have been able to select units up to exactly 1600 FP to a various degree of success. Thus, when looking at the "deficit", i.e., when an army needs to remove units from its pool and no longer be allowed to use them, we compare to the actual original FPs of the army pools (1574 - 1595 FP).

As can be seen below (although admittedly very small), four armies currently experience deficits in their army pools (highlighted in bold red). These armies can now choose whether to remove a unit to eliminate that deficit to a level below the FP cost of the cheapest unit still in the army pool, but doesn't have to until the deficit equals or exceeds the FP cost of the most expensive unit still in the army pool. However, if there are units, whose FP cost is lower than the deficit in any given round, but they are not at that point in time removed to eliminate the deficit, they are not allowed to be removed in the following rounds either until the deficit in question has been eliminated.

For example:
TomoeGozen's army #3 currently has an army pool deficit of 51 FP. He can eliminate that to a level below 24 FP (the FP cost of his cheapest unit, the Light Javelin Horse) but he doesn't yet have to, since he's got available units with FP costs above that (1 Armoured Noble Lancers at 64 FP and 6 Warband (Close Order) at 58 FP). So if he doesn't eliminate any units this round, once he's at a 64 FP deficit later on, he must choose between Armoured Noble Lancers and Warband (Close Order).

Hopefully this wasn't too confusing? :D

Now, questions to the following players:
Army 3 TomoeGozen: 51 FP deficit
Army 4 Doyley50: 41 FP deficit
Army 5 Giacofa93: 31 FP deficit
=> Do you this round want to remove units in order to eliminate your army pool deficits?
= If yes, which unit?

Giacofa93

Post by Giacofa93 »

Not too confusing at all: just a little bit :D
No removals for me this turn, thank you!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Giacofa93 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:45 pm Not too confusing at all: just a little bit :D
No removals for me this turn, thank you!
OK, that's good enough. :)

Just so that you know: you can in the following rounds not remove Light Javelin Horse, Light Javelinmen, or Light Archers to eliminate this specific deficit (since their costs are below your current 31 FP deficit). Once you've removed other units to eliminate this specific deficit, these Light Javelin Horse, Light Javelinmen, or Light Archers are of course again eligible to remove to eliminate future deficits.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”