Ruin and Conquest of Britain - Tournament I: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Ruin and Conquest of Britain: Tournament I

Post by kronenblatt »

Round 2: Order giving

Time has come for round 2's order giving and movement instructions for the 12 MP each of you have.

Anglo-Saxon: have already submitted their movement instructions and sent them in two parts, one each to two different players from another faction than themselves.

Pictish, Romano-British, Welsh: send them to me by way of replying to the PM you've received from me, at the latest on March 7 (9 PM, Swedish time).

Movement instructions should be in the form of a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by me).

For details, please check Giving orders and Movement in the RULES.

Any questions? Please ask them here for everyone else to see question and answer.

Oh! And still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Round 2: Movement and Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

Movement instructions as follows:

No battles this round.

Administration involves the following changes to control of structures:
  • Anglo-Saxon Army 1: City (from Romano-British).
  • Romano-British Army 3: Village (from Welsh).
  • Pictish Army 5: Kingdom or Civitas Capital (from Romano-British).
  • Welsh Army 7: Mine.
  • Welsh Army 8: Mine and Village.
Map updated as follows (please let me know if something is not in good order):

kronenblatt

Round 3: Order Giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 3's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of you have.
  • Anglo-Saxon: Tuesday March 9 (9 PM, Swedish time).
    • I will send our movement instructions in two parts, one each to two different players from another faction than ours.
  • Pictish, Romano-British, Welsh: Thursday March 11 (9 PM, Swedish time).
Please send to me through replying to my PM, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator).

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the tournament thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

pompeytheflatulent
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by pompeytheflatulent »

What's the rule on moving through a hex with a road but not actually traveling on the road, but moving perpendicular to the road? 1.5 MP or whatever the movement cost for the terrain is?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:18 am What's the rule on moving through a hex with a road but not actually traveling on the road, but moving perpendicular to the road? 1.5 MP or whatever the movement cost for the terrain is?
Good question, tricky situation...

... Since roads on this map are not really adapted to the hexes, let's use 1.5 MP for moving through a hex with a road, whether travelling "alongside" the road or not.

kronenblatt

Re: Round 3: Order Giving

Post by kronenblatt »

I have now sent the Anglo-Saxon movement instructions to two players, so you can already now provide me with your own movement instructions, however not later than Thursday March 11 (9 PM, Swedish time).
kronenblatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:02 pm Time has come for round 3's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of you have.
  • Anglo-Saxon: Tuesday March 9 (9 PM, Swedish time).
    • I will send our movement instructions in two parts, one each to two different players from another faction than ours.
  • Pictish, Romano-British, Welsh: Thursday March 11 (9 PM, Swedish time).
Please send to me through replying to my PM, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator).

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the tournament thread, for everyone else to see question and answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

kronenblatt

Round 3: Movement Execution

Post by kronenblatt »

Neither Romano-Briton army #4 (TheGrayMouser) nor Anglo-Saxon army #2 (kronenblatt) retreat, why they will fight an engagement and battle around the Great Ouse, in North European Agricultural terrain. (kronenblatt sets up the challenge.)

The engagement to be concluded during a three-week period, at latest on April 1. Winner reports results. OK? (Meanwhile, the rest of you remain idle.)

kronenblatt

Setting up the first ExCoB engagement

Post by kronenblatt »

Battles ("engagements" as they are called in this campaign) work and are set up as follows in Field of Glory II: Ancients:
  • Conquestu Britanniae v1 module (downloaded in-game).
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • 24 turns.
  • 32 x 32 map size.
  • 2000 FP force size for both armies, but only 1200 FP (adjusted for any effects) are spent on units from the army's pool of remaining units, see below).
  • Map type on the terrain as specified in Map terrain of engagements.
  • Mercenary Warbands as allies can be used if controlling Mines, with maximum 1 ally unit per Mine controlled for the faction as a whole each turn.

So the engagement between TheGrayMouser's Romano-Britons and kronenblatt's Anglo-Saxons is set up as follows (with Mercenary Warbands as allies for both armies, albeit Romano-Britons can select up to 1 ally unit (thanks to 1 Mine controlled), but Anglo-Saxons zero (since no Mines controlled):

And 1200 FP worth of units (adjusted for any ally units selected from Mercenary Warbands) are picked from the following list so that 800 FP remain of the 2000 FP set up when battle begins:

EDIT: Have changed the rules to set up with 2000 FP to allow sufficient number of individual units to be selected, but still only actually selecting units worth of maximum 1200 FP.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

A question to all participants:

Now that there are one engagement to be fought out (for 2 players) over 2-3 weeks and the rest of you (6 players) to remain idle, are you content and "happy" with that? Or do you risk growing restless and losing interest, and would like some adjustment to the rules, allowing for a round of movement of all armies not fighting that round? Please let me know what you think. (I'm asking the same question in the Vae Victis I thread, for those participating there as well.)

Captainwaltersavage
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Captainwaltersavage »

I think we needed to start closer together. It's looking more interesting now as the armies approach each other. Perhaps if there were victory points for locations that would drive some action.
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

If there were more armies I imagine we'd all see a bit more action ☺
I think the map is a bit large for so few armies.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Captainwaltersavage wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:28 pm I think we needed to start closer together. It's looking more interesting now as the armies approach each other. Perhaps if there were victory points for locations that would drive some action.
TomoeGozen wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:32 pm If there were more armies I imagine we'd all see a bit more action ☺
I think the map is a bit large for so few armies.
What's the remedy and do we need a remedy? Should each player get one army more to control (9-16)?

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

The Romano-Brits defeats the Saxon Horde 54-28.

The Saxons formed in the classic L formation and advanced, our lighter Brits stood back on the left flank fearing to leave the rough ground, where as our heavier troops and Barbarian Auxiliaries went in for a right hook only to be thwarted by a copse of woods. Both commanders were disturbed about the volitity of our warbands, winning one turn and then fleeing the next,which, fortunatly for us, opened many a flank for our Sarmation Lancers and British cavalry to secure a victory.

A sharp and brutal fight, good game!
pompeytheflatulent

I thought about suggesting that we consolidate down to 2 teams of 4 before we began. But I didn't say anything since I'm more interested in moving counters around on the hex map than actually playing FoG2 at the moment. :P
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 pm The Romano-Brits defeats the Saxon Horde 54-28.

The Saxons formed in the classic L formation and advanced, our lighter Brits stood back on the left flank fearing to leave the rough ground, where as our heavier troops and Barbarian Auxiliaries went in for a right hook only to be thwarted by a copse of woods. Both commanders were disturbed about the volitity of our warbands, winning one turn and then fleeing the next,which, fortunatly for us, opened many a flank for our Sarmation Lancers and British cavalry to secure a victory.

Yes, that was a truly bloody fight! I had forgotten how unpredictable warbands are; how easily they lose cohesion and how overconfidently the pursue routed enemies... But fun, it was genuinely fun! :)
pompeytheflatulent wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 pm I thought about suggesting that we consolidate down to 2 teams of 4 before we began. But I didn't say anything since I'm more interested in moving counters around on the hex map than actually playing FoG2 at the moment. :P
There's something meditative with moving these small counters around... Maybe we should make a boxed version... 8) :lol:

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 pm The Romano-Brits defeats the Saxon Horde 54-28.

OK, some information about implications from battle and engagement outcome (keep in mind that a "battle" can consist of several engagements):

The winner of the battle (TheGrayMouser) remains in its hex.
The loser of the battle (kronenblatt) is removed from its hex and placed in the hex of a controlled structure to any of its starting points => Soham.

The level of incurred casualties (28 for TheGrayMouser, 54 for kronenblatt) will deplete the pools of the armies; 1 FP per percentage point of incurred casualties =>
=> army pool of TheGrayMouser is now 1572, and of kronenblatt 1546.

In addition, they will need to remove units from their army pools, corresponding to the depletions.
However, the removal can be postponed and aggregated to a later round and the depletion level saved until other (by definition, more expensive) units can be removed instead, but cheaper, available units can then not be removed later on.
=> For example, kronenblatt can decide to remove 1 Light Archers (30) + 1 Light Javelinmen (24) or postpone removal, but can then not select these units when removing. (I decide to postpone, and will remove a Warband (Close Order) later on.)

kronenblatt

Round 3: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

Administration involves the following changes to control of structures:
  • Losing Anglo-Saxon Army 2: moves to Village of Soham.
  • Pictish Army 5: gains Village (from Romano-British).
  • Pictish Army 6: gains Fort.
Map updated as follows (please let me know if something is not in good order):

EDIT: changed to reflect Pictish Army 6's control of Fort.

kronenblatt

Round 4: Order Giving

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 4's order giving and movement instructions and the 12 MP each of you have.
  • Anglo-Saxon: Wednesday March 17 (9 PM, Swedish time).
  • Pictish, Romano-British, Welsh: Thursday March 18 (9 PM, Swedish time).

pompeytheflatulent

What am I sitting on right now, a fort or ruins? Also could you please make the Pict controlled hexes a bit darker, just so it doesn't blend in with the woodland color?
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

pompeytheflatulent wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:01 pm What am I sitting on right now, a fort or ruins?
In the third post of this thread, you've got a map without any faction controls or armies. It can also be downloaded with link in that post.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”