Vae Victis - Tournament I: Retired

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Round 2: Battles

Post by kronenblatt »

Engagement 1.1
Aetius39 (army #1) versus kronenblatt (army #8)

set up now, with password: VAEVICTISI

(Aetius39 = 1600 FP (his current army strength of 1600 FP), kronenblatt = 1630 FP (my current army strength of 1600 FP + 30 FP for being within ZoC of controlled Town))
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Vae Victis: Tournament I

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hello, need confirm of FP's for the match with Tomoegozen:

TGM strength 1537 plus 30 ( from being 1 hex from a controlled city) = 1567 vs TomoeGozens 1541

Is this correct
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 pm Hello, need confirm of FP's for the match with Tomoegozen:

TGM strength 1537 plus 30 ( from being 1 hex from a controlled city) = 1567 vs TomoeGozens 1541

Is this correct
Yes, looks perfectly correct to me. :)

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Battle up!!

password: Battle2
Kerait
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Kerait »

Battle up!

Many apologies for the delay!
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

How many point adjustment do I get, +30 or +60? I have two controlled towns in my ZOC (as I understand Narnia is still controlled by Rome).
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

olin0111 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:26 am How many point adjustment do I get, +30 or +60? I have two controlled towns in my ZOC (as I understand Narnia is still controlled by Rome).
You get zero, since Towns provide "+30 FP in location of Town". The army's ZoC is not relevant in this case.

olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

kronenblatt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:49 am
olin0111 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:26 am How many point adjustment do I get, +30 or +60? I have two controlled towns in my ZOC (as I understand Narnia is still controlled by Rome).
You get zero, since Towns provide "+30 FP in location of Town". The army's ZoC is not relevant in this case.
Oh no!

Anyway, the challenges have been posted. PW: Mars
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

The (second) Battle of Capua:

After the Saminte defeat of the Greeks at the first Battle of Capua, punctuated by the near-simultaneous of both CnCs, the Greeks regrouped and, though somewhat weakened, counter-attacked to reclaim this vital city. The Samnites parked on a hill with a small lake and rough ground covering their left and the ocean covering their right. Undeterred and thirsting for vengeance, the Greeks launched an echelon attack on the Samnite left with some success. This incited the enemy for come down from their hill to relieve pressure on their flank. Being mediums vs heavies in open country, the Greeks had a slight advantage but this was offset by the veterans in the Samnite ranks including a random Soldurii warband. As the losses mounted, the Samnites began to narrow the gap, but not in time. The army of Deeter the Greek defeated Kerait's Samsonites 62-58 and sent them packing.

Deeter the Greek
Kerait

Post by Kerait »

Hoplite v Samnite medium impact foot combat seems to be characterised by extremely fast developments. At the impact phase, hoplite morale will often drop immediately, while the combat modifier the Greek heavy foot enjoys against the Samnite medium foot in potracted melee can cause Samnite spirit to drop just as precipitiously in short order.

On an open battlefield with a battle line of very similar width and a lack of cavalry forces on either side, there is a relatively limited room for creativity on the commander's part. The player is left with a few key moments during the battle to make tactical decisions or exploit the opponent's mistake, while the rest of the match is occupied with the important business of not making mistakes and bracing oneself for the fickleness of the dice gods.

I wonder whether deeter and the others agree with my assessment. This is not to say the game isn't fun, in fact it can be quite exciting, but there seems to be a very particular style of warfare involved here.
deeter

Post by deeter »

That's a fair assessment, I would say. With a bunch of bog standard hoplites there's not much else to do. It's big fun to fight with these armies against historical opponents though.

Deeter the Greek
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by TomoeGozen »

I agree too. With Greeks vs Samnites it is very much in the hands of the gods at the time of impact, then things can change quickly! Having some reserves to either exploit a sudden unexpected victory or plug an equally sudden hole can be most useful :D

Congratulations deeter on a hard fought victory. My battle is still very much in the hands of the gods....
deeter

Post by deeter »

Impact foot don't play nice with hoplites it seems. Fortunately, Citizens are cheep enough to be able to field a lot of them.

Deeter the Greek
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Aetius39's Etruscans defeats Kronenblatt's Romans 45-15

There was a lot of posturing on both sides for a bit, and the Etruscan right kept widening the flank, much to the paranoid Roman general Treacherous' dismay. The fighting started and Etruscans were surviving the impact and beating the Romans back fairly well. Treacherous decided the battle was lost and fled, leading to massive morale drop and loss for the Romans. A bountiful camp was left for the Etruscans. Romans foodstuffs became Etruscan. Roman livestock became Etruscan. Roman women really became Etrsucan. Glorious times!
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

These games seem unconcluded. Could the combatants please advise upon their status? Thanks.
  • Engagement 1.2: Aetius39 (army #1) versus olin0111 (army #7), Mediterranean Agricultural.
  • Engagement 1.2: Malabar26 (army #2) versus olin0111 (army #7), Mediterranean Agricultural.
  • Engagement 3: TomoeGozen (army #5) versus TheGrayMouser (army #9), Mediterranean Agricultural.

TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

I sent a PM about game 3, essentially it is very nearly over ☺
Cheers,
Dave
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

kronenblatt wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:59 am These games seem unconcluded. Could the combatants please advise upon their status? Thanks.
  • Engagement 1.2: Aetius39 (army #1) versus olin0111 (army #7), Mediterranean Agricultural.
  • Engagement 1.2: Malabar26 (army #2) versus olin0111 (army #7), Mediterranean Agricultural.
  • Engagement 3: TomoeGozen (army #5) versus TheGrayMouser (army #9), Mediterranean Agricultural.
The game with Aetius39 is near its end and I sent PM to Malabar because this game has been going rather slowly.
olin0111

Post by olin0111 »

Olin0111 defeats Aetius39 61-54
The battle was hard fought but Roman discipline prevailed and Etruscans were forced to retreat!
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Aetius39 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:23 am Aetius39's Etruscans defeats Kronenblatt's Romans 45-15

There was a lot of posturing on both sides for a bit, and the Etruscan right kept widening the flank, much to the paranoid Roman general Treacherous' dismay. The fighting started and Etruscans were surviving the impact and beating the Romans back fairly well. Treacherous decided the battle was lost and fled, leading to massive morale drop and loss for the Romans. A bountiful camp was left for the Etruscans. Romans foodstuffs became Etruscan. Roman livestock became Etruscan. Roman women really became Etrsucan. Glorious times!
Clarification: Roman livestock were already Etruscan(s). And the women too.

TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

After another long and bloody battle TomoeGozen (Greeks) defeats TheGrayMouser (Samnites) 62 - 48.

We are going to run out of Greek soldiers in Italy at this rate...

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”