Vae Victis II - First Punic War: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Vae Victis II: First Punic War

Post by kronenblatt »

Battle 1:
  • Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8) versus kronenblatt (Roman army #16). => kronenblatt (5% incurred) drew with Challenge1 (5%) due to unconcluded game.
  • Engagement 1.2. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8) versus dim30 (Roman army #11). => Challenge1 (25%) defeated dim30 (54%).
=> Battle 1 as a whole is a Carthaginian victory. Congrats, Challenge1 and other Carthaginians!

Roman armies #11 and #16 will be removed from the map and reappear in phase 4 of this round.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Navies debarking

Post by kronenblatt »

Romans
Roman navy #10 debarks 8.
Roman navy #15 doesn't debark.

Carthaginians
Carthaginian navy #1 doesn't debark.
Carthaginian navy #4 debarks 10.

kronenblatt

Reappearing armies

Post by kronenblatt »

Armies reappearing as follows, after having lost their battles:

Romans
#11: Caulonia
#16: Pisae
#13: Messana

Carthaginians
#5: Catania

kronenblatt

Round 4: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

The map and army FPs after administration; inter alia navies have decided whether to debark, winning armies advanced, losing armies resurfaced, siege attrition suffered, and reinforcements gained.

Sieges
  • Alalia: progresses, with one army (Roman army #12) having completed a full round of siege, causing the original Resilience value of 4 (City: +2, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2) to be reduced by 1 to 3.
  • Tyndaris: starts, with two armies (Roman armies #9 and #14) sieging and an original Resilience value of 4 (Town: +1, Hills +1, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2).
  • Tauromenium: starts, with one army (Carthaginian army #2) sieging and an original Resilience value of 4 (Town: +1, Hills +1, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2).
With this, summer break is resuming and we're kicking it all off again end of August.

kronenblatt

Round 5: Changes to rules

Post by kronenblatt »

The rules for sieges have been changed as follows with effect from round 5, excluding already started sieges (Alalia, Tyndaris, Tauromenium).
  • At the start of every new siege, the structure obtains a certain "Resilience" level that need to be brought down below 1 in order for the siege to be successful:
    • Town: -1
    • City: +2
    • Farmlands: -1
    • Marshes: +1
    • Mountains: +2
    • Adjacent to Coast hex: +1
    • Capital: +2
  • A structure with a Resilience level of 0 or lower at start will still need to be sieged for a full round in order for the siege to be successful.
  • The strength of a besieging army is reduced by 10 times the structure's Resilience level (before reduction that round and only if the Resilience level is 1 or higher), if the army is more than 12 (previously 6) MP distance of its faction's lines of logistics (in order to reflect attrition from lack of sufficient supplies while sieging).

kronenblatt

Round 5: Order giving - Initiative points

Post by kronenblatt »

Alright, summer is over, at least in Sweden...

... discuss within your factions and among your team members how to allocate your 8 Initiative points (1 for each army), and then submit the allocation of Initiative points for your armies through replying to my PM by Saturday, August 28, at the latest. (We're starting this season with a longer period than usual to get out of vacation mood slowly...)

I won't open any of your PMs (other than my team members') until I have received from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in the campaign thread. (Your PM's will thus stay in your Outbox until I open them, and to my knowledge that should be safe from me secretly reading it.)

And... don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Questions? Ask them here, in the campaign thread, for everyone to see question and answer.

From the rules (Initiative points and Navies)

Initiative points serve the purpose of allowing the factions a certain focus that round. Armies possess one Initiative point each, which can be assigned to two different uses:

1. Increase its strength by 40 FP, up to but not exceeding 1600 FP, in all the army's engagements that round.
2. Improve the faction's naval dominance in a particular sea zone, allowing for more and longer naval movements of its faction's navies that round (for details and limitations, see Naval superiority under the Navies section).

If no explicit instruction is given for an army during the order giving phase of a round, the army is assumed to have selected option 1 above for that round.

Please note that: A faction can in total not assign more Influence points to a sea zone than its number of controlled Towns and Cities adjacent to a Coast hex in that sea zone. Thus, if a faction controls no such Coast Towns or Cities in a sea zone, it cannot assign any Influence points at all to that sea zone.

The faction's Naval Superiority level in each sea zone equals 2; plus the faction's number of assigned Influence points to the sea zone; minus the highest number of Influence points that another faction has assigned to that sea zone, the sum always subject to a floor of zero.

Each Naval Superiority point of a faction in a sea zone gives the faction 24 naval movement points (NMP) to be shared by all navies of a faction moving in that sea zone.

kronenblatt

Round 5: Order giving - Initiative point allocation

Post by kronenblatt »

Armies with +40 FP this round
Carthaginian army #6
Roman army #12

kronenblatt

Round 5: movement instructions

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 5's movement instructions, for land as well as naval movement (excluding navies' debarkation of armies into land hexes, but please save enough naval movement points for that in case you want to debark this round).

Please send me your instructions through replying to the PM you received from me, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). For details, please check Giving orders, Movement, and Naval movement in the RULES.

Please all do so by Wednesday, September 1, midnight (your time) at the latest.

As mentioned earlier, I will not open any of your PMs (other than my Roman team members') until I have received such PMs from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in this thread.

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the tournament thread, for everyone else to see the question itself and its answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Enjoy!

Allocation of Initiative Points into sea zones were as follows, with the subsequent results in NMP:

kronenblatt

Round 5: Movement execution

Post by kronenblatt »

Some comments
Navy 1: EDIT: changed back to original instructions as per deeter's request, with navies 1 and 15 bouncing and moving two hexes away from each other.
Army 4: stops when entering the 1-hex ZoC around Rhegium.
Army 8: can't move since within 1-hex ZoC of army 12.
Navy 11: stops when entering the (2-hex) ZoC around navy 5.
Army 13: stops when entering the (1-hex) ZoC around army 2.

Please let me know if there's something I've misunderstood.

(EDIT: The map is now also reflecting that navies 5 and 11 are bouncing off each other, when entering into each other's (2-hex) ZoCs and moving back two hexes.)

kronenblatt

Round 5: armies retreating?

Post by kronenblatt »

Will any of these armies facing each other retreat? Please let me know ASAP, or at the latest by tomorrow, or I'll assume no retreat (of course).
  • Armies 2 and 13. None retreats.
  • Armies 4 and 9. None retreats.
  • Armies 8 and 12. None retreats.
EDIT: I have now removed the option to retreat since it just adds more work and effort by me and all players involved, no one has yet retreated, and this tournament is about playing FoG2 games after all. :)

kronenblatt

Round 5: engagements!

Post by kronenblatt »

None of the armies retreat, why we have three engagements (in three separate battles) to be concluded this round!

Battle 1:
Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1563 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #12, 1567 FP (1527+40 from Initiative point)). Mediterranean Agricultural. dim30 sets up.

Battle 2:
Engagement 2.1. batesmotel (Carthaginian army #4, 1578 FP) versus Aetius39 (Roman army #9, 1599 FP (1539+60 from location in City)). Mediterranean Hilly. Aetius39 sets up.

Battle 3:
Engagement 3.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2, 1582 FP) versus Aetius39 (Roman army #13, 1507 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. deeter sets up.

The engagements to be set up as follows:
TT Mod module.
Open Battle scenario.
Large (40 x 32) map size.
Allies can be selected if allowed in accordance with Allies in engagements in rules.
No map re-rolls.
The player creating the challenge (with himself always as Side B) does so by September 5 at the latest, thereafter sending a PM to the opponent and making a post in the tournament thread.
Conclusion and reporting of engagements:
Players commit to concluding their games by October 1 at the latest.
The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, report the results in this thread.
Regarding allies:
No Carthaginian armies are allowed to use Numidian or Moorish 341-56 BC as allies, since that is only possible for armies that begin the round not more than 6 MP distance of their factions' lines of logistics.

deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Challenge posted for Aetius39. PW deeter

Deeter
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Challenge up for batesmotel

pw is vaevictus

Aetius
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
dim30
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by dim30 »

Challenge posted for Challenge1. sorry for the delay.

pw : dim30
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Aetius39 (Romans) defeats batesmotel (Carthaginians) 43-9

Romans broke a few units early, and while the left side was a bit shaky holding off the damned elephants, the right managed to roll up and rout enough before that could be an issue. GG!^^
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Thanks for report. How are the other two engagements progressing?

Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1563 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #12, 1567 FP (1527+40 from Initiative point)). Mediterranean Agricultural. dim30 sets up.
Engagement 3.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2, 1582 FP) versus Aetius39 (Roman army #13, 1507 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. deeter sets up.
dim30 wrote:
deeter wrote:
Aetius39 wrote:
Challenge1 wrote:

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

kronenblatt wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:35 pm Thanks for report. How are the other two engagements progressing?

dim30 wrote:
deeter wrote:
Aetius39 wrote:
Challenge1 wrote:
Ours is "going"!^^
Challenge1

Post by Challenge1 »

Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1563 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #12, 1567 FP

Carthaginians hold the field after a 51 - 21 Victory over the Roman interlopers.

A lot of manouevre saw the Carthaginian cavalry finally get behind the Roman Cohorts to deliver some decisive flank/rear charges.

Roma Victrix!
deeter

Post by deeter »

Wow! Kudos to Challenge1 who shall henceforth be known as the Lion of Corsica.

Deeter
Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

Aetius39 (Roman army 13) defeats deeter (Carthaginian army 2) 44-14

Hearing of the defeat of our comrades earlier gave us the motivation we needed! Part of the Roman army was on a hill waiting for the right side to catch up and wrap around. After several tense turns with the Carthaginians staring us eye to eye we came down and engaged them. Some key flanks and the superiority of the Roman legionaires helped turn things in our favor. GG as always!

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”