Vae Victis II - First Punic War: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Round 5: battle resolutions

Post by kronenblatt »

Battle 1:
Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1563 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #12, 1567 FP (1527+40 from Initiative point)).
=>Challenge1 (Carthaginians) defeats dim30 (Romans) 51-21.
=> Siege of Alalia is lifted.

Battle 2:
Engagement 2.1. batesmotel (Carthaginian army #4, 1578 FP) versus Aetius39 (Roman army #9, 1599 FP (1539+60 from location in City)).
=> Aetius39 (Romans) defeats batesmotel (Carthaginians) 43-9.

Battle 3:
Engagement 3.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2, 1582 FP) versus Aetius39 (Roman army #13, 1507 FP).
=> Aetius39 (Romans) defeats deeter (Carthaginians) 44-14.
=> Siege of Tauromenium is lifted.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Round 5: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

The map and army FPs after administration; inter alia navies have decided whether to debark (only Roman navy #16 debarks), winning armies advanced, losing armies resurfaced, and reinforcements gained.

Sieges
  • Tyndaris: proceeding, with Resilience value originally at 4 (Town: +1, Hills +1, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2), reduced by 1 to 3, due to one army (Roman army #14) sieging the full round.
  • Enna: starting, with Resilience value originally at -1 (Town: -1), sieged by Roman army #10.
  • Two other sieges (Alalia and Tauromenium) lifted due to besieging armies losing battles.

kronenblatt

Round 6: Order giving - Initiative points

Post by kronenblatt »

Discuss within your factions and among your team members how to allocate your 8 Initiative points (1 for each army), and then submit the allocation of Initiative points for your armies through replying to my PM by Thursday, September 23, at the latest. One PM representing the whole faction, or each of you individually; both are ok, but please note that individual instructions will take precedence.

I won't open any of your PMs (other than my team members') until I have received from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in the campaign thread. (Your PM's will thus stay in your Outbox until I open them, and to my knowledge that should be safe from me secretly reading it.)

And... don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Questions? Ask them here, in the campaign thread, for everyone to see the question and the answer.

From the rules (Initiative points and Navies)

Initiative points serve the purpose of allowing the factions a certain focus that round. Armies possess one Initiative point each, which can be assigned to two different uses:

1. Increase its strength by 40 FP, up to but not exceeding 1600 FP, in all the army's engagements that round.
2. Improve the faction's naval dominance in a particular sea zone, allowing for more and longer naval movements of its faction's navies that round (for details and limitations, see Naval superiority under the Navies section).

If no explicit instruction is given for an army during the order giving phase of a round, the army is assumed to have selected option 1 above for that round.

Please note that: A faction can in total not assign more Influence points to a sea zone than its number of controlled Towns and Cities adjacent to a Coast hex in that sea zone. Thus, if a faction controls no such Coast Towns or Cities in a sea zone, it cannot assign any Influence points at all to that sea zone.

The faction's Naval Superiority level in each sea zone equals 2; plus the faction's number of assigned Influence points to the sea zone; minus the highest number of Influence points that another faction has assigned to that sea zone, the sum always subject to a floor of zero.

Each Naval Superiority point of a faction in a sea zone gives the faction 24 naval movement points (NMP) to be shared by all navies of a faction moving in that sea zone.

kronenblatt

Round 6: Allocation of Initiative points

Post by kronenblatt »

Roman
Mare Tuscum: 3
Mare Ionium: 1
Mare Tyrrhenum: 3
Army 16: 1

Carthaginian
Mare Tuscum: 2
Mare Ionium: 1
Mare Tyrrhenum: 2
Army 2: 1
Army 6: 1
Army 8: 1

kronenblatt

Round 6: movement instructions

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 6's movement instructions, for land as well as naval movement (excluding navies' debarkation of armies into land hexes, but please save enough naval movement points for that in case you want to debark this round).

Please send me your instructions through replying to the PM you received from me, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). For details, please check Giving orders, Movement, and Naval movement in the RULES.

Please all do so by Monday, September 27, midnight (your time) at the latest.

As mentioned earlier, I will not open any of your PMs (other than my Roman team members') until I have received such PMs from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in this thread.

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the tournament thread, for everyone else to see the question itself and its answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Enjoy!

Allocation of Initiative Points into sea zones were as follows, with the subsequent results in NMP:

kronenblatt

Round 6: Executed movements

Post by kronenblatt »

Some comments:
  • Navies 1 and 15: bounce and each move away from each other two hexes.
  • Army 9: can cross the strait, but not move any further.
  • Navy 11: is making a lot of moves...:) But hopefully ends where I placed it.

kronenblatt

Round 6: engagements!

Post by kronenblatt »

We have three engagements (in two separate battles) to be concluded this round!

Battle 1:
Engagement 1.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2, 1578 FP (1538 + 40 from Initiative point) versus dim30 (Roman army #10, 1600 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. dim30 sets up.
=> deeter draws with dim30 28-27.
Engagement 1.2. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #7, 1600 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #10, 1600 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. dim30 sets up.
=> Challenge1 draws with dim30 0-0.
=> Battle 1 ends as a draw.

Battle 2:
Engagement 2.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1600 FP (1542 + 30 from Town + 40 from Initiative point, capped at 1600)) versus kronenblatt (Roman army #16, 1600 FP (1595 + 40 from Initiative point, capped at 1600)). Mediterranean Agricultural. Challenge1 sets up.
=> Challenge1 draws with kronenblatt 0-5.
=> Battle 1 ends as a draw.

The engagements to be set up as follows:
TT Mod module.
Open Battle scenario.
Large (40 x 32) map size.
Allies can be selected if allowed in accordance with Allies in engagements in rules.
No map re-rolls.
The player creating the challenge (with himself always as Side B) does so by September 30 at the latest, thereafter sending a PM to the opponent and making a post in the tournament thread.
Conclusion and reporting of engagements:
Players commit to concluding their games by October 27 at the latest.
The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, report the results in this thread.
Regarding allies:
All Carthaginian armies are allowed to use Numidian or Moorish 341-56 BC as allies, since they all began the round not more than 6 MP distance of their factions' lines of logistics. Please advise ASAP to the player setting up if you're using allies.

Challenge1
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Vae Victis II: First Punic War

Post by Challenge1 »

Battle Result

Engagement 1.2. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #7, 1600 FP) drew with dim30 (Roman army #10, 1600 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. dim30 sets up. 0 - 0

Neither side felt they could attack in the terrain.
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Not sure how to report this. Deeter (Carthage) fought dim30 (Rome) until the game ended on turn 24. Him 28, me 27

Pop up reads: "Nightfall has saved the enemy from utter defeat. However, if they withdraw during the night, you will at least have the honor of holding the field of battle."

The next panel declares this as a "glorious Carthaginian victory." So, I guess Carthage won?

Deeter
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

deeter wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:31 pm Not sure how to report this. Deeter (Carthage) fought dim30 (Rome) until the game ended on turn 24. Him 28, me 27

Pop up reads: "Nightfall has saved the enemy from utter defeat. However, if they withdraw during the night, you will at least have the honor of holding the field of battle."

The next panel declares this as a "glorious Carthaginian victory." So, I guess Carthage won?

Deeter
If none of you routed the other, the engagement is a draw.

deeter

Post by deeter »

As I was expecting. Got confused by all the in-game panels. Thanks for clearing that up.

Deeter
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Engagement 2.1:

Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8) draws with kronenblatt (Roman army #16) 0-5.

kronenblatt

Round 7: Changes to the rules

Post by kronenblatt »

Starting as of round 7 the following changes to the rules become effective:
  • The base game's Carthaginian 262-236 BC and Roman 280-220 BC army lists are used, with allies being Greek (Western) 280-49 BC (representing Syracusan faction) and Numidian or Moorish 341-56 BC, since the TT mod is viewed as disfavouring Carthaginians too much.
  • Carthaginians are allowed to allocate 2 Initiative points (and Romans 1 Initiative point) per unsieged and unblockaded coastal City or Town that they control in a sea zone.
  • A navy only exercises a ZoC of 1 hex around its location for Coast and Sea hexes.
  • An army that loses or draws an engagement suffers reduction in army strength amounting to twice its incurred casualties in that engagement, whereas any army winning will suffer army strength reduction equaling to its incurred casualties.
  • Lines of logistics can only extend across sea zone in which the faction has a Naval Superiority level of at least 1 that round.
  • An army that loses a battle reappears in the structure along its logistics line closest (in number of hexes) to where it lost the battle. However, if it would need to cross a sea zone in which its faction has a Naval Superiority level of 0 in order to do so, it will reappear 2 hexes away from where it lost the battle, in a direction away from the enemy army or armies against which it lost, even if this means moving into the ZoC of another enemy army.
  • The island and Town of Melita, controlled by Carthago, is added to the map.

kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

A question to every participant:

Navies currently only exercise ZoC on Coastal and Sea hexes, aside from blockades.

Should that fully extend to land hexes, so that navies can block (land) armies' movements and retreats, etc.?

Aetius39
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Aetius39 »

kronenblatt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:10 am A question to every participant:

Navies currently only exercise ZoC on Coastal and Sea hexes, aside from blockades.

Should that fully extend to land hexes, so that navies can block (land) armies' movements and retreats, etc.?
Hmm...someone feel free to correct or add to this, but I think they shouldn't block land movements, but definitely should block retreats or movements out to the sea.

Although...perhaps if the land army is Roman and say, in Africa, and one fleet is blocking the entry point they came to and there is no other city Roman controlled in the area, maybe that army should lose FP by attrition/lack of supplies?

Just my thoughts!

Aetius
Creator of "There Can Be Only One" tournaments in Field of Glory 2.
deeter

Post by deeter »

I have a vested interest in this question, but these navies are functionally transport fleets and so have plenty of troops to project onto land. An army retreating from a failed attack would avoid moving into such an area where fresh marines are in abundance. There is one direction the retreating army can go to avoid ZOCs.

Deeter
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

deeter wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 pm I have a vested interest in this question, but these navies are functionally transport fleets and so have plenty of troops to project onto land. An army retreating from a failed attack would avoid moving into such an area where fresh marines are in abundance. There is one direction the retreating army can go to avoid ZOCs.

Deeter
Should in your view rules be changed for a navy's ZoC to fully extend to land hexes, so that navies can block (land) armies' movements and retreats, etc.?

Please note that it then concerns a future change as of next round, so will not affect that vested interest of yours (and mine). :)

deeter

Post by deeter »

I tend to agree with Aetius that ZOCs should affect retreats, but maybe not movement. And yes, unfortunately, this will have no effect on the current situation I suppose.

Deeter
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

deeter wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:54 pm This will have no effect on the current situation I suppose.
That's correct, because under current rules, navies only exercise ZoC on Coastal and Sea hexes, aside from blockades. So the discussion concerns future implementation.

kronenblatt

Round 6: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

The map and army FPs after administration; inter alia navies have decided whether to debark (only Carthaginian navy #5 debarks), winning armies advanced, losing armies resurfaced, and reinforcements gained.

Sieges
  • Tyndaris: successfully concluded and under Roman control, with Resilience value at 3 (Town: +1, Hills +1, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2, siege reduction: -1), reduced by 3 to 0, due to one army (Roman army #14) sieging the full round and the town being blockaded by Roman navy #15 (Tyndaris losing its +2 Adjacent to Coast hex adjustment).
  • Enna: successfully concluded and under Roman control, with Resilience value dropping further to -2, due to one army (Roman army #10) sieging the full round.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”