Vae Victis II - First Punic War: Concluded

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

dim30
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Vae Victis II: First Punic War

Post by dim30 »

Engagement 2.1. dim30 (Roman army #12), win deeter (Carthaginian army #3) 23 / 49
Engagement 2.2. dim30 (Roman army #11), win deeter (Carthaginian army #3) 22 / 51

Thank for deeter for both games. Was difficults and defensive maps on both sides. Each game was a real challenge.
kronenblatt
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kronenblatt »

As of next round, the following addition to the rule will be implemented (under Outcomes and effects of engagements and battles), for the purpose of enabling a winning army to gain some ground:

An army having:
  • won a battle either (at its player's choice) remains in its hex or moves into the adjacent hex previously occupied by a removed losing enemy army. If more than one army wishes to move into the same hex, the army with the lowest incurred casualties will make the move and if a tie the army with the highest inflicted casualties will make the move. If still a tie, no army will move into that hex.
kronenblatt's campaign and tournament thread hub:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108643
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Engagement 1.1
kronenblatt (Roman army #16) draws with Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8) 7-0.

kronenblatt

Round 3 (phase 4): administration

Post by kronenblatt »

• Engagement 1.1. kronenblatt draws with Challenge1 7-0.
  • Engagement 2.1. dim30 beat deeter 49-23.
  • Engagement 2.2. dim30 beat deeter 51-22.
  • Engagement 3.1. kronenblatt beat TomoeGozen 64-41.
Taking into account the Reinforcement of army strength of armies #4 and #13 (+16 FP each), the situation looks as follows:

Navies will decide whether to debark or not, and while winning armies remain in their current hexes and drawing armies retreat two hexes, losing armies are removed from the map and will be placed as part of step 6 in this Administration phase. Applicable players have been PM'd.

kronenblatt

Round 3: Administration

Post by kronenblatt »

The map after navies have decided whether to debark (none did), drawing armies retreated, and losing armies resurfaced.

Also: the first siege of the tournament, that of Alalia, has begun at end of round 3, with a Resilience value of 4 at start (City: +2, Adjacent to Coast hex: +2).

kronenblatt

Round 4: Order giving - Initiative points

Post by kronenblatt »

Discuss within your factions and among your team members how to allocate your 8 Initiative points (1 for each army), and then submit, each one of you, the allocation of Initiative points for your armies through replying to my PM by Saturday, June 5, at the latest.

I won't open any of your PMs (other than my team members') until I have received from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in the campaign thread. (Your PM's will thus stay in your Outbox until I open them, and to my knowledge that should be safe from me secretly reading it.)

And... don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Questions? Ask them here, in the campaign thread, for everyone to see question and answer.

From the rules (Initiative points and Navies)

Initiative points serve the purpose of allowing the factions a certain focus that round. Armies possess one Initiative point each, which can be assigned to two different uses:

1. Increase its strength by 40 FP, up to but not exceeding 1600 FP, in all the army's engagements that round.
2. Improve the faction's naval dominance in a particular sea zone, allowing for more and longer naval movements of its faction's navies that round (for details and limitations, see Naval superiority under the Navies section).

If no explicit instruction is given for an army during the order giving phase of a round, the army is assumed to have selected option 1 above for that round.

Please note that: A faction can in total not assign more Influence points to a sea zone than its number of controlled Towns and Cities adjacent to a Coast hex in that sea zone. Thus, if a faction controls no such Coast Towns or Cities in a sea zone, it cannot assign any Influence points at all to that sea zone.

The faction's Naval Superiority level in each sea zone equals 2; plus the faction's number of assigned Influence points to the sea zone; minus the highest number of Influence points that another faction has assigned to that sea zone, the sum always subject to a floor of zero.

Each Naval Superiority point of a faction in a sea zone gives the faction 24 naval movement points (NMP) to be shared by all navies of a faction moving in that sea zone.

kronenblatt

Round 4: Order giving - Initiative point allocation

Post by kronenblatt »

Initiative points have been allocated as follows:

In addition, Carthaginian army #6 retains its Initiative Point, granting it +40 FP in all its engagements this round.

kronenblatt

Round 4: Movement instructions

Post by kronenblatt »

Time has come for round 4's movement instructions, for land as well as naval movement (excluding navies' debarkation of armies into land hexes, but please save enough naval movement points for that in case you want to debark this round).

Please send me your instructions through replying to the PM you received from me, and just as a simple sequence of individual moves (e.g., 2 4 2 6 0 6), with no other symbols in between, only blanks (for easy copy-pasting by the administrator). For details, please check Giving orders, Movement, and Naval movement in the RULES.

Please all do so by Wednesday, Jun 9, midnight (your time) at the latest.

As mentioned earlier, I will not open any of your PMs (other than my Roman team members') until I have received such PMs from everyone and until I have published those of myself and all my team members in a PM to all participants or in this thread.

Any questions? Please ask them here, in the campaign thread, for everyone else to see the question itself and its answer.

Still don't worry: we'll all hold each other's hands to get to know and understand the rules, etc., together. This is for fun, after all! :)

Enjoy!

batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

Andreas,

Yet another rules question. If the defender in an engagement is in a town/city, what type of terrain is used for the battle?

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

batesmotel wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:30 pm Andreas,

Yet another rules question. If the defender in an engagement is in a town/city, what type of terrain is used for the battle?

Chris
For non-assault engagements, same rules apply whether town/ city or not, i.e., will use the map type and terrain of the location of the army having spent the fewest MP that round (until having completed its movement), or if both armies have spent the same amount of MP that round, in falling priority order in the list in the rules.

For assaults in sieges, the map type and terrain of the town/city's hex is used.

kronenblatt

Round 4: Movement instructions and execution

Post by kronenblatt »

One comment:
  • Carthaginian army #7 doesn't have enough MP to complete all its movement instructions.
Please let me know whether this seems ok, given your movement instructions and intentions as well as your understanding of the rules (not any worse than mine, on the contrary :) ).

kronenblatt

Round 4: Retreats?

Post by kronenblatt »

Armies
Carthaginian armies 2 (deeter), 5 (batesmotel), 8 (Challenge1) and Roman armies 11 (dim30), 12 (dim30), 13 (TheGrayMouser), 16 (kronenblatt): please advise whether you retreat, and (if yes) in which direction of two hexes.

Navies
Carthaginian navy 1 (deeter) and Roman navy 15 (kronenblatt): please advise in which direction of two hexes away from the other navy that you retreat.

Respond by ASAP PM please, at the latest tomorrow (Friday June 11th).

None of the armies retreat, Carthaginian navy 1 moves 8 10, and Roman navy 15 moves 2 2.

kronenblatt

Round 4: engagements!

Post by kronenblatt »

None of the armies retreat, why we have four engagements (in three battles) to be concluded this round!

Battle 1:
  • Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1553 FP (1593 + (-40), due to River penalty)) versus kronenblatt (Roman army #16, 1600 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. kronenblatt sets up.
  • Engagement 1.2. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1593 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #11, 1578 FP). Mediterranean Agricultural. dim30 sets up.
Battle 2:
  • Engagement 2.1. batesmotel (Carthaginian army #5, 1600 FP) versus dim30 (Roman army #12, 1577 FP). Mediterranean Hilly. dim30 sets up.

Battle 3:
  • Engagement 3.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2, 1600 FP) versus TheGrayMouser (Roman army #13, 1581 FP (1551 + 30, due to location in controlled Town)). Mediterranean Hilly. TheGrayMouser sets up.

Regarding allies:
  • Only deeter can for the respective engagements decide whether to use Numidian or Moorish 341-56 BC as allies, whereas Challenge1 and batesmotel can not.

The engagements to be set up as follows:
  • TT Mod module.
  • Open Battle scenario.
  • Large (40 x 32) map size.
  • Allies can be selected if allowed in accordance with Allies in engagements below.
  • No map re-rolls.
  • The player having spent the fewest MP that round normally sets up the engagement in-game, PM:ing opponent.
  • Engagement is to be concluded within a three-week period.
  • The winner, or the player having incurred the fewest casualties, report the results in this thread.
Allies in engagements
  • Only armies that begin the round not more than 6 MP distance of their factions' lines of logistics are allowed to use allies in their engagements.
  • For armies that fulfil the requirement above, allies are allowed in the following situations:
    • The faction that controls the City of Syracusae at the beginning of the round is allowed to select Greek (Western) 280 - 49 BC as allies, provided that Syracusae no longer controls any Towns or Cities.
    • Carthago is allowed to select Numidian or Moorish 341-56 BC as allies.
  • Using allies is optional for each individual engagement and not at all compulsory, and the players decide for each engagement whether to use allies or not.
Rivers in engagements
  • If at least one of the two armies in an engagement is located in a River hex (with no Town or City), the army (if any) that spent the most MP that round (until having completed its movement) will adjust its FP for the engagement with -40 FP.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Battle up for Deeter, password: VVVV
Cheers!
dim30

Post by dim30 »

Battle up for challenge1 and Batemotel.
password : roma
see you on battefield gentlemen.
kronenblatt

Post by kronenblatt »

Engagement 1.1. Challenge1 (Carthaginian army #8, 1553 FP (1593 + (-40), due to River penalty)) versus kronenblatt (Roman army #16, 1600 FP). Mediterranean Hilly.

Now set up, with password: vaevictis

dim30

Post by dim30 »

Engagement 2.1
Dim30 roman army#12 beat Batesmotel Carthaginian army#5 Score 10 / 48

The carthaginian general have gathered an huge army with a lot's of medium troops. He intend to break Alalia's siege by surrounding Roman army. The roman legat manage to avoid that. A breakthrough on the right side and a positive frontal shock on the middle prove the better quality of roman veteran citizen soldier ! Well played Batesmotel. Score don't reflect the hardness of the combat.
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Deeter (Carthage) defeated TGM (Rome) 44-18. Thanks for the game.

Deeter
kronenblatt

Round 4: battle results

Post by kronenblatt »

Battle 2:
  • Engagement 2.1. batesmotel (Carthaginian army #5) versus dim30 (Roman army #12). => dim30 (10% incurred) beat batesmotel (48%).
Battle 3:
  • Engagement 3.1. deeter (Carthaginian army #2) versus TheGrayMouser (Roman army #13). => deeter (18%) beat TheGrayMouser (44%).

Challenge1

Post by Challenge1 »

Challenge1 (Carthage) defeated dim30 (Rome) 54-25

A monumental encounter that went right to the wire. As usual the Legions were incredibly steadfast but after much manoeuvre the Carthaginians were able to set-up flank attacks that finally broke the Legions spirit.

A great game against a very tough opponent.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”