pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

LOEG East vs West: News, Announcements & Discussions

Post by pantherboy »

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: East versus West
News, Announcements and Discussions

Greetings to my fellow LOEG players,

This thread will be used to post announcements, rule updates, answer queries, be a forum for suggestions and so on. Please feel free to participate as little or as much as you desire and use this thread in anyway you so choose to promote discussion and a sense of community. For the moment I will include all relevant details and announcements for this season in this opening thread with later announcements being posted as the most recent thread but also being added to this first one to make it easier to find any important information. I look forward to any comments and hope that the league can become a fixture for players.

Cheers,

Steve (aka pantherboy)

1. Season Extension

Currently the first round is due to end on January 28. I think it was a bit ambitious of me to set only three weeks for a round especially as so many other tournaments are running concurrently. As such I am extending the first round by another week. I'd like players to attempt to get their games completed by then but I do understand life, technical issues, motivation among other things can get in the way so it isn't a hard limit.
  • Round One will finish on February 6.
  • Round Two will commence on February 7 and finish on March 7.
  • Round Three will commence on March 7 and ideally finish on March 14 but since it is only one match a lot of leeway is available.

2. Forfeits

Because I am introducing an ELO rating system I would like players to finish matches rather than forfeit. To allow latter stages to progress if you can't complete your game in time after any provided extensions then I will award the match to your opponent as per the following:
  • a) If the delay is due to both players than their current scores will be used for tournament points.
    e.g. It is currently 5% to 12% then the players will score 5 and 12pts respectively as per a draw.
  • b) One player is forfeiting and their break percentage is under 40 then their break point level will be advanced to 40% and as long as the difference is 25 or greater than points will be calculated.
    e.g. The forfeiting player is at 21% while their opponent is at 10% then the forfeiting player will increase to 40% giving a 90pt victory to their opponent while earning 10pts themself.
  • c) One player is forfeiting but raising their break % to 40 won't result in their army breaking or they are already in excess of 40% than 25% will be added to the winners break % to calculate points.
    e.g. The forfeiting player is at 28% while their opponent is at 34% so 25% is added to the winners 34% to reach 59% for the forfeit thus awarding 85pts to the winner and 34pts to the loser.
The loss of a match due to forfeit will only affect your points earned during a tournament. Your matches played-won-drawn-loss will only be updated once you actually have completed the match and that result will be used for ELO adjustments. ELO is only concerned with wins-draws-losses while the tournament only cares about points so please enjoy your matches and play them to conclusion even if the round has ended.

3.ELO

For those interested I'm detailing the ELO system (based off chess) that I will be using. I sourced the system from people far smarter than me so any budding mathematicians please be gentle :)

Having two players, A and B, with ratings RatA and RatB, we can work out the expected score in a few steps:
  • Take the difference of ratings RatB - RatA.
  • Evaluate the ratio of the difference and 400, (RatB - RatA) / 400.
  • Find the value of ten to the power of this fraction 10(RatB - RatA)/400.
  • Add 1 to this number, 1 + 10(RatB - RatA)/400.
  • The expected score is the multiplicative inverse of the latter, expected_score = 1 / (1 + 10(RatB - RatA)/400).
  • The last step is to calculate the new rating RatA,new using the formula:
  • RatA,new = RatA + K * (score - expected_score), where K is known as the k-factor, or development coefficient. It usually takes values between 10 and 40, depending on player's strength. The score is the actual outcome of the game. In chess, a win counts as 1 point, a draw is equal to 0.5, and a loss gives 0.
One of the good things about the ELO rating system is that one of the players gains precisely the same amount of points as the other one loses. Since everyone is starting at 1000 one match will result in a +10 for a win, 0 for a draw or -10 for a loss but if one player was 1500 vs a 1000 ELO player than the modifications would be +1.1, -8.9 or -18.9.

ELO will be calculated at the end of this season on a tournament basis which means your ELO rating stays the same for each match you participated in which will result in a new rating based on the sum of those matches. This is very easy for the first season as everyone is rated at 1000 which can potentially result in a final ELO rating of 1140 if participating in both periods and you win all 14 matches while the converse would be 860 if you lose 14 matches. From the next season I may calculate ELO after each round to make it easier for me to do the calculations.

4. Winning Laurels

I'm also introducing a system for awarding laurels for successful play partly for fun and partly for player motivation. Laurels will come in 3 types gold, silver and bronze. In round one the winners of each Pod will earn a bronze laurel for the season and progress to Pod A for the second round. In the second round the winners from Pods B, C and D will also earn bronze laurels while the Pod A players (who have already garnered bronze) will be competing for a silver laurel. In the final round when East meets West the two players who earned silver laurels in their respective conferences will compete for the gold laurel by defeating their opponent. Please note that it is possible for the two top players to draw in which case they will simply keep their already earned silver laurel. This all tallies up to be 2 silver and 6 bronze laurels for a season amongst both conferences with the option for one silver to be converted to gold in the third round.

gold laurels.jpg
gold laurels.jpg (2.46 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
silver laurels.jpg
silver laurels.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
bronze laurels.jpg
bronze laurels.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Holien
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: LOEG East vs West: News, Announcements & Discussions

Post by Holien »

Hi can this be stickied / linked to in the Sticky Thread trying to find it was fun and was just checking the round 2 start dates as going on holiday soon, but seems dates OK so should not impact.. Thanks

N.B the start date of the 7th I will not be around and back on the 12th. I might have laptop with me but might not do many turns / setup depending on my better half and her tolerance... (or lack of it).
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

I didn't see this before reporting my results.
Have three games that are incomplete, will continue playing them though mostly they are in the early turns and so may not finish in a week.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

tyronec wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:24 pm I didn't see this before reporting my results.
Have three games that are incomplete, will continue playing them though mostly they are in the early turns and so may not finish in a week.
Not a problem. Just continue playing and see how you go. You can also finish your match after a deadline as noted above so that I can figure ELO rating changes.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

STARTING ROUND TWO

I hope everyone is doing well and with the start of the second round it may reinvigorate players. I'm still awaiting a number of results to finalize all the pods but I will be posting the new round to the extent that it has been determined so that players can get started. Unfortunately ECA Division A West Conference results are too thin to progress at this stage so I will be contacting those players to get a clearer picture and hopefully in a day or so have them back in the game. As for LMA since there are only three pods the highest second place scorer will join Pod A and the lowest third place scorer will join Pod C. Best of luck to all players.

OUTSTANDING MATCH RESULTS

LMA Division A West

kronenblatt vs Triarii
Last edited by pantherboy on Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by SimonLancaster »

Thanks for the update and good luck with organising the pods!
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
tyronec
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by tyronec »

Would you put the dates of the Allied armies on the Challenges thread - have had a couple of games set up with wrong armies.
Thanks
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

tyronec wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:48 pm Would you put the dates of the Allied armies on the Challenges thread - have had a couple of games set up with wrong armies.
Thanks
Hi tyronec,

I am literally about to head out with my partner for a romantic getaway in the mountains and won't be back till tomorrow night. I'll take a look at it then.

Cheers,

Steve
gort7078
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by gort7078 »

Where do I find information, divisions, results, and standingson the LEOG East vs West?
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

gort7078 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:17 pm Where do I find information, divisions, results, and standingson the LEOG East vs West?
Hi gort7078,

In the stickies section of this forum you will find a thread related to LOEG which has handy links to everything you are asking. I've placed a direct link to it below.

Cheers,

Steve

viewtopic.php?f=494&t=108024
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update on what's happening.

1. Desertedfox is withdrawing from the competition in both leagues plus Opoli51 has been dropped from ECA as he only started one match which wasn't completed. This means that ECA Division A Pod D for both East and West will have just three players for the second round. For LMA Division A Pod D East conference it means only three players but its counterpart in the west will have 4. I will see if I can find one player willing to sub in for desertedfox here.

2. Only one match hasn't been completed for Round 1 so I have the final groupings sorted for Round two now. Due to issues in editing my post with images and getting repeats I am switching to a simple text format for the challenges page. I will finish updating all the divisions when I get back from work tonight.

3. The performance tables will be separated into round 1, round 2 and round 3 threads. Tonight I'll try and get the round 2 tables started.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

HEAR YE, HEAR YE some results in:

Early Classical Antiquity

In Division A it looks like ericdoman1 will be competing for the golden laurel since my messengers bare news of ill tidings for the Persians. A dominating performance by a masterclass player. As for Division B rexhurley has gained his bronze laurel guiding his Numidians to three victories but only edging Frederic02 out by 6 points in a final tally of 241 to 235. Rex went into his final match versus Frederic needing the win and overcame the Indians 53 to 60. Great stuff especially with one of the more difficult lists to use well.

Late Middle Ages

Rosedelio has powered through to take the West's silver laurel after securing an insurmountable lead by defeating his closest challenger tyronec in his final match. With such a commanding performance and looking to be an equally good one in ECA he'll have the potential to convert silver into gold twice.
Rosedelio
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosedelio »

Is there a new set start date for Round 3 or is it just when all the Round 2 matches are in?
Touhou mod for FOGII: Medieval: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=111582
My FOGII and FOGII Medieval focused channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Rosedelio
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

Rosedelio wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:03 pm Is there a new set start date for Round 3 or is it just when all the Round 2 matches are in?
At the moment it looks like I'll extend it by a week to the 21st of March. I don't want to rush players or force them to finish early considering the volume of campaigns currently running. But on Monday I'll start setting up the third round and wherever possible players may start their final match with their paired opponent.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE FOR THE COMPLETION OF ROUND 2

I have decided to extend the deadline for second round matches to Monday March 28th. Please do your best to finish by then but if it looks like you won't than just PM me with an estimated completion date. As for the commencement of Round 3 I will be posting a single challenge thread for everyone to use tomorrow which will show who your opponent is for your final match. There are about four confirmed pairings in each Division at the moment and those players may begin their match whenever is convenient for them. I will also post a single results thread for everyone to use. Lastly a Round 3 performance table will also go up to track the final results and the ticking tally of total points between east and west. I'm interested to see if one side trumps the other.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE

I have posted matchups for round 3 wherever possible and have also posted round 3 results tables. Since everyone will be only playing one match I have unified Divisions A and B into the same threads. Once some round 3 results begin coming in I will put up the round 3 performance tables. This will give me a few days to consider how best to present them.

Cheers and good luck to everyone.

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE

Early Classical Antiquity Division B - Pod B matchups have been posted. Good luck.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE

1. Round 3 Performance Tables

In an attempt to reduce the number of threads being created I have added Round 3 Performance Tables to the Round 2 thread and have amended the title to reflect both rounds tables being included. The tables are not separated into pods with different color codes but rather reflect the fact that it is two teams vying for an overall win so East has been given yellow while West blue to reflect unity. At the top of the table by the conference name is a total score from all matches played to date for each conference.

2. Round 3 Matchups

I am continuing to add names to the challenge threads as their position is confirmed. You can also check the Round 3 Performance Tables to see who your opponent is. If you see someone listed across from you then feel free to start the match. It is possible that I may of overlooked updating the challenges thread in cases where just a single player has been confirmed from a pod.

3. Matches for Pantherboy

Due to withdrawal of a couple of players during round 2 I will have no third round match for ECA Division A acting as the odd man out and the same for LMA Division A though I will offer to play the odd man out in Pod C for the West if they are willing to accept.

Good luck to everyone with their matches.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE

Early Classical Antiquity Division A - Pod D matchups have been posted.
Late Middle Ages Division B - Pod A matchups have been posted.

Cheers,

Steve
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

UPDATE

Okay guys to get the final round completely underway could the outstanding matches PM me with current scores and whether the match has been delayed due to a player absence so that I can award forfeits or call matches a draw. I will be PM'ing those involved plus I have posted the incomplete matches below. If you have already mentioned before that your opponent has disappeared please still remind me again.

Thanks,

Steve

ECA Division A

Pod B
LuciusSulla vs Stew101
LuciusSulla vs BobGanoush
Karvon vs Blagrot

Pod C
snooky51 vs lydianed

ECA Division B

Pod C
verseaux vs Ulysisgrunt