Bactrian Empire Campaign 250 BC Signup

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

w_michael
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Bactrian Empire Campaign 250 BC Signup

Post by w_michael » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Please sign up here for the empire that you would like to play in the campaign. They will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. I will periodically update the empire list and the signup campaign map to show the player assignments.

Here are the selected empires:

Arab Tribes - iandavidsmith
Armenia - rbodleyscott
Atropatene - Ulysisgrunt
Bactrian Kingdom - msaunders865
Hsiung-nu - AlessandroD
Mauryan Empire - TheGrayMouser
Mountain Indians - SnuggleBunnies
Nabataea - hidde
Parthia - ianiow
Ptolemaic Kingdom - mikec_81
Saka - Ironclad
Seleucid Empire - stockwellpete
Turn1_Start.jpg
Turn 1 Start Map
Turn1_Start.jpg (465.58 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Last edited by w_michael on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 15 times in total.
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns & Field of Glory II enthusiast

w_michael

Re: Bactrian Empire Campaign 250 BC Signup

Post by w_michael » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Here are the rules:

Bactrian Empire Campaign, 250 BC
A Campaign-Style Tournament for Field of Glory II

Version: 29 Nov 2017

OVERVIEW

This 12-player campaign was inspired by the suggested historical campaigns in the DBA 2.2 rulebook, and by the Two Davids DBA campaign system. The number of players can easily be expanded by adding pairs of nearby empires to the map. Each player will play one of the following empires:

Arabian Tribes – Army list: Arab 312 BC - 476 AD. Map type: Desert.

Armenia – Army list: Armenians 331 BC - 252 AD. Map type: Middle-Eastern Hilly.

Atropatene – Army list: Atropatene 320 BC - 145 BC. Map type: Middle-Eastern Hilly.

Bactrian Kingdom – Army list: Graeco-Bactrian 250-130 BC. Map type: Steppe.

Hsiung-nu – Army list: Skythian 300 BC - 50 AD. Map type: Steppe.

Mauryan Empire – Army list: Indian 500 BC - 319 AD. Map type: Tropical.

Mountain Indians – Army list: Mountain Indian 492 BC - 170 BC. Map type: Middle Eastern Mountains.

Nabataea – Army list: Nabataean 260 BC - 106 AD. Map type: Middle-Eastern Hilly.

Parthia – Army list: Parthian 250 BC - 225 AD. Map type: Steppe.

Ptolemaic Kingdom – Army list: Ptolemaic 320 BC - 167 BC. Map type: Mediterranean Agricultural.

Saka – Army list: Saka 300 BC - 50 AD. Map type: Steppe.

Seleucid Empire – Army list: Seleucid 320-206 BC. Map type: Middle-Eastern Agricultural.

GAME PLAY

The campaign consists of turns, each representing a year or more of time. Automatic victory is achieved if one player has conquered all the other players (made them vassals). Otherwise, the player who has accumulated the most campaign victory points at the end of turn 6 will be declared the winner.

At the start of the campaign each player starts with an army located in their empire. The Seleucid Empire is so large that it is represented by three areas, with the army considered to be in any of the three areas. The order in which each player moves is determined randomly, but adjusted by events in the previous campaign turn. Each player, in sequence, moves their army into the area of an opposing army to attack it. Movement is unlimited from area to area, along connected routes. Each area entered to arrive at the battle destination reduces the size of the attacking army, but only victorious attacking armies can become overlords and turn other players into vassals. At the end of movement every player will be paired with another player, and a FoG2 game played to resolve the battle.

After the FoG2 battles are resolved, vassals are determined, campaign victory points are awarded, and player’s armies are returned to their empire in preparation for the next turn.

TURN SEQUENCE

Initiative Phase

On turn 1 each player is secretly assigned a movement sequence number from one to n, where n is the number of players, chosen randomly. At the beginning of subsequent turns winners of battles in the previous turn (whether they are the attacker or defender) are secretly assigned two movement sequence numbers. The winner keeps the lower sequence number and the loser is assigned the higher sequence number. Players will know their assigned movement sequence number before any movement begins.

Players with incomplete FoG2 games are segregated into a separate pool containing the highest sequence numbers and are randomly assigned from that. For example, if one battle is incomplete then players will be assigned to the main pool and receive movement sequence numbers from one through n - 2, and the two players with the incomplete game will be assigned to the secondary pool and receive movement sequence numbers n - 1 and n.

Should a vassal player receive the highest available sequence number in the main pool then this is disclosed to all players before any movement takes place. That player rebels and is no longer a vassal of their overlord. The former overlord player is then free to move and attack that player, or vice versa, as normal. Note that a player that became a vassal on the previous turn cannot rebel.

If an odd number of players sign up for the campaign, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score (chosen randomly if there is a tie). A player may not receive more than one bye.

Movement Phase

The object of movement is to engage an enemy army in battle by moving the player’s army along connected routes into the same area as an enemy army. If the defender hasn’t moved yet, their move is forfeited as they are already in battle. Movement is unlimited along routes, but an army must stop and have combat when it enters an area containing an enemy army that is not in battle. Battle areas may be moved through freely as the armies are far too preoccupied to intercept the movement.

The 3-area Seleucid Empire is a special case. When moving, the Seleucid army may start from any of the areas in the empire. When an enemy empire enters any of the three areas of the Seleucid Empire, and the Seleucid army has not been engaged in battle, then the defending Seleucid army intercepts the attacking army at the point of entry.

An overlord’s army may always pass through the army of a vassal, and they may not attack each other. Vassals of the same overlord may not attack each other unless there are no other unengaged enemy armies. An overlord may dictate which player a vassal will attack that turn, or let the vassal choose freely. Once every player has moved, and has been paired in battle with another player, proceed to the next phase.

Combat Phase

The defender sets up a FoG2 PBEM challenge for the battle. It will be an Open Battle, with Medium force size, a Medium map size, using Auto force selection. The map type will be the predominating terrain for the defender’s empire. Use the Advanced Options button to define the player’s force size. The defender (Player A) will always be 1,200 force points. The attacker (Player B) starts with 1,200 force points and deducts 50 force points for every area moved into to arrive at the battle area, counting a maximum of four areas for this purpose. Since FoG2 only accepts force point adjustments in increments of 100, round the force point adjustment up to a multiple of 100. For example, if the attacker moves into three areas (counting the battle area) then the attacking force size will be 1,000 (1,200 – 200).

Players will be given 20 calendar days to complete their battle. Note that there is no winner in an incomplete game, or games that are not decided before the game’s time limit. In these cases, the defender is considered to have defeated the attacker’s invasion.

The following are important to note and report at the end of the battle:

* whether the game was incomplete or not
* whether the attacker won the battle
* if the commander-in-chief was lost on either side (or both)
* how many sub-generals were lost on each side.

A C-in-C or Sub-General is considered lost in battle for campaign purposes if they are explicitly declared lost or wounded in close combat, dispersed with a routing unit, or routed off the map. This does not include generals with routed units still on the map, or generals with units that have pursued an enemy unit off the map.

Overlord Phase

When an attacking player wins the battle then they become the overlord of the losing player (who becomes a vassal of the overlord player). Should an overlord become a vassal, that overlord’s vassals are counted as being vassals of the victorious overlord as well. Thus, a pyramid of vassalage is formed.

Should an overlord lose their commander-in-chief in the battle, then a D6 is “rolled”, with the following results:

1 = The C-in-C was knocked down and stunned, but is otherwise unharmed. Nothing happens.
2 = The C-in-C switched armour with his shield bearer before the battle, who died in his place. Nothing happens.
3 = The C-in-C was captured by the enemy, but escaped dressed in women's clothing. Nothing happens.
4 = The C-in-C suffered a mere flesh wound. Nothing happens.
5 = The C-in-C was mortally wounded, dying shortly after the battle. All direct vassals of that overlord are now free.
6 = The C-in-C was chopped to pieces in close combat. All direct vassals of that overlord are now free.

Victory Point Phase

Campaign victory points are accumulated for each player as follows:

* 20 VP are earned for winning the battle
* 10 VP are earned for a bye
* 5 VP are earned for every direct vassal, and every one of their vassals
* 2 VP are earned if the enemy commander-in-chief is lost in the battle
* 1 VP is earned for every enemy sub-general lost in the battle

Winter Quarters Phase

Player’s armies are returned to their empire. This is the end of the turn, and play continues with the Initiative Phase of the next turn.
Last edited by w_michael on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 am, edited 13 times in total.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Armenia please
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 pm

Seleucids please.

msaunders865
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by msaunders865 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Bactrians, please

MikeC_81
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by MikeC_81 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Ptolomey pls
FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:02 pm

I'll try the straight up unstirred Indian list.

ianiow
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by ianiow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:25 pm

If called upon by the gods, "Ian the Encircler" of the House of Suren will proudly defend the Parthian Empire against all comers.

AlessandroD
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by AlessandroD » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:54 pm

I have absolutely no idea how to handle a horse archers nation therefore I think to be perfect to run Hsiung-nu :D
Thanks!

SnuggleBunnies
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by SnuggleBunnies » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Mountain Indians please

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:17 am

I was noting the rules of attrition the further out one moves his army in an attack.

Perhaps RBS can add smaller increments for points (like increments of 10 perhaps??) to the likely ever growing wish list. ;)

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 am

TheGrayMouser wrote:I was noting the rules of attrition the further out one moves his army in an attack.

Perhaps RBS can add smaller increments for points (like increments of 10 perhaps??) to the likely ever growing wish list. ;)
Yes, I would like that. How much of a difference in force points makes one side nonviable? I made the judgement call of more than 200 force points. Perhaps it is more, and I can adjust the rules accordingly if a wider spread of force points is seen to be competitive.

Keep in mind that in this campaign style tournament your vassals may be victorious and give you the ultimate victory. Sometimes the winning strategy is to vassalize a better player (if possible), rather than an easy target. The vassal will contribute to your success.

TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:56 am

w_michael wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:I was noting the rules of attrition the further out one moves his army in an attack.

Yes, I would like that. How much of a difference in force points makes one side nonviable? I made the judgement call of 200 force points. Perhaps it is more, and I can adjust the rules accordingly if a wider spread of force points is seen to be competitive.

Keep in mind that in this campaign style tournament your vassals may be victorious and give you the ultimate victory. Sometimes the winning strategy is to vassalize a better player (if possible), rather than an easy target. The vassal will contribute to your success.
Thats a tough one! In FOG1 campaigns that had asymetrical battles, say in a 500 point game, even 50 points could make a difference. One of the issues was that sometimes armies actually became BETTER when players had fewer points because they would stop buying quality troops and bulk up on cheapo units to increase the army Break Points. They would then play "not to lose" versus trying to win. Here we wont have that issue but the larger the point variance point variance, nomad armies with their expensive troops and limited options, might suffer the most.

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:01 am

TheGrayMouser wrote:
w_michael wrote:

Yes, I would like that. How much of a difference in force points makes one side nonviable? I made the judgement call of 200 force points. Perhaps it is more, and I can adjust the rules accordingly if a wider spread of force points is seen to be competitive.

Thats a tough one! In FOG1 campaigns that had asymetrical battles, say in a 500 point game, even 50 points could make a difference. One of the issues was that sometimes armies actually became BETTER when players had fewer points because they would stop buying quality troops and bulk up on cheapo units to increase the army Break Points. They would then play "not to lose" versus trying to win. Here we wont have that issue but the larger the point variance point variance, nomad armies with their expensive troops and limited options, might suffer the most.
Let's consider this a trial of the campaign rules, which we can improve upon with experience. There are a LOT of campaigns that can be modelled this way, which will be both fun and competitive. I'll go out on a limb here and say that most players enjoy a visual, map based campaign more than a text based one.
Last edited by w_michael on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 am

I modified the rules that define when a general is "lost in battle". I want the commander-in-chief and sub-generals to be significant to victory if they are lost in battle. The normal game-based loss is both random and rare, so I've included generals that are no longer on the battlefield (routed or evaded) at the end of the battle. There is still only a 1/3 chance of a significant event. This also addresses the game trick of maximizing "free" sub-generals such that the loss of any sub-general hurts, so that having fewer sub-generals is less of a penalty.

The campaign point value awarded may seem like small potatoes, but small differences in campaign scores help differentiate players and may ultimately help decide the winner of the campaign.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 am

A couple of questions, Will,

I) Richard has said that the Parthian list will be amended in a forthcoming patch (I am not sure which one or when it will be). I have just looked at their list and it is full of mounted bow skirmishers which will be a nightmare, both to play with and to play against. Presumably the change that is coming will involve, in part anyway, converting some of these light horse into cavalry archers. It all depends when the patch will come but maybe as an interim measure the Parthian player might use the Scythian list or such-like. I fear poor old Ian will end up encircling himself with the current list! :lol:

ii) hypothetically, if the Seleucids defeat the Atropatenes in round one and then the Armenians in round two, what can the Armenian player do in round three? I am sure there are other examples like that. Are they knocked out orcan they move through fellow vassal territory (Atropatenes) to attack Parthia?

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 am

stockwellpete wrote:A couple of questions, Will,

I) Richard has said that the Parthian list will be amended in a forthcoming patch (I am not sure which one or when it will be). I have just looked at their list and it is full of mounted bow skirmishers which will be a nightmare, both to play with and to play against. Presumably the change that is coming will involve, in part anyway, converting some of these light horse into cavalry archers.
It won't. It will probably just involve increasing the maximum of cataphracts and infantry, and possibly adding some optional Elymaian massed archers.

How we would represent lance armed horse archers I am not sure, as we don't have a suitable model. Will think about that.

Anyway, the changes are not in the forthcoming first patch, which is more concerned with correcting actual bugs than tweaking anything. So it might be a while before it happens.
It all depends when the patch will come but maybe as an interim measure the Parthian player might use the Scythian list or such-like. I fear poor old Ian will end up encircling himself with the current list! :lol:
Well it will be a good test of the current list. Don't write Ian off!
ii) hypothetically, if the Seleucids defeat the Atropatenes in round one and then the Armenians in round two

Hey!
Richard Bodley Scott

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:54 pm

I would like to join, if there is space.
Preference is Atropene
Danny Weitz
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ulysisgrunt
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Ulysisgrunt » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 pm

OOps!
Atropatene.

w_michael

Post by w_michael » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Ian is free to choose another available empire if he doesn't like his chances with the current army list. We may find that the horse archer armies aren't suitable (i.e. fun) for a tournament. What if they never complete their games because they are so elusive? I guess that they will never become a vassal or overlord in that case. It all comes down to how timid the players are.

Vassals can move through their overlord's army, and vice versa. Armies can move through battle areas freely to attack an unengaged player. It sometimes happens that the last person to move has no choice but to move from one end of the map to the other because that is the only person who is not matched, for example Nabataea to Mountain Indians. You just have to laugh when that happens.
Last edited by w_michael on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”