Re: "240 BC Grand Campaign"

Post by Aryaman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:59 pm

Sorry, Capadocia then

Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Lysimachos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Following the joyful annexetion of Fergana a caravan of wise and pious men is now heading toward Tigrakauda where the Sakas are waiting with anxiety to learn the teachings of the Buddha.
Hopefully the bandits that scourges that land will not interfere with this peaceful mission!

(Trogilus will lead the outlaws. Password: Steppe)
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)

vakarr
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by vakarr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:09 am

Aryaman wrote:Sorry, Capadocia then
sorry didn't see this until it was too late, as I was just sending a turn result in when I found I couldn't do it, eventually the game said I had made so many attempts to upload the turn it would be counted as cancelled - it turns out I had an internet outage for much of the weekend. I think "cancelled" means I have to do that turn all over again - Or at least I hope so, I hope it means I haven't lost that turn! I have yet to find out if that is so - perhaps this is a way to cheat as if you did something stupid in your turn, you would be able to disconnect your network cable, repeatedly try to upload the turn, then get it cancelled.

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm

vakarr wrote:
Aryaman wrote:Sorry, Capadocia then
sorry didn't see this until it was too late, as I was just sending a turn result in when I found I couldn't do it, eventually the game said I had made so many attempts to upload the turn it would be counted as cancelled - it turns out I had an internet outage for much of the weekend. I think "cancelled" means I have to do that turn all over again - Or at least I hope so, I hope it means I haven't lost that turn! I have yet to find out if that is so - perhaps this is a way to cheat as if you did something stupid in your turn, you would be able to disconnect your network cable, repeatedly try to upload the turn, then get it cancelled.
Excuse me vakarr, but I don't understand what's happening. Did you start the new match against Aryaman or something prevented you to do so. Or maybe the game was already in motion and something happened that prevented you from carrying on it or at least a turn of it?
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 pm

No I had three battles to fight - Cappadocia, Colchis, and Sophene. I had not started the new battle in Cappadocia but would have done so next; I had played one turn in my other battle with Arayaman in Sophene (where I have a good winning margin but only four turns left before it becomes a draw) . I was losing the battle in Colchis at the start of my turn but had turned it around and was winning by the end of my turn, only to find that I couldn't upload it, GRRR!!!. Last night I also wasn't able to connect to the internet, the storm we had on Friday night seems to have done something (not to my equipment, I had it all unplugged).

Aryaman
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Aryaman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am

Vakarr do you want me to replace the challenge for another one?

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:58 am

Aryaman wrote:Vakarr do you want me to replace the challenge for another one?
No it came back just before I went to bed tonight, will play them out tomorrow.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 am

Well it seems that Pontus is going to do what it did historically - expand westwards while losing its eastern territories. The battle in Colchis went well for Pontus, and was a clear 40-10% victory. The Colchians fought well and it seemed unlikely that Pontus would win after the Colchians took the high ground but the superiority of pikes and thureophoroi vs tribesmen eventually told, and Pontic strategy kept a lot of the feared Colchian lancers away from the battlefield for a useful amount of time.

Meanwhile, in Sophene, the Battle has gone 22 turns and the Armenians are winning but they only have 33% of the Seleucid devils on the run and need to get another 7% in the next two turns to win. The Seleucid pikemen are cowering in squares after being surrounded by tribesmen and cataphracts. Most of the game was taken up with the Armenian cataphracts and tribesmen making a huge flank march through the forests, a flank march that has been hugely successful since the circus got driven away and only now is starting to come back, and it placed the cataphracts opposite Seleucid cavalry, which is all they are really any good at fighting.

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 am

Pontus attacks BfC / Bosphorus Cimmerius if possible

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 am

The incomes have been collected in all the countries with Paved Roads and Trade Routes.

The Carthaginians, Romans, Macedonians, Ptolemaics and Seleucids enhance their finances of 40t.
The Parthians, Graeco Bactrians and Mauryans enhance their finances of 80t.
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 am

vakarr wrote:Pontus attacks BfC / Bosphorus Cimmerius if possible
Alas a land attack costs 60 t and Pontus at the moment has only 50t.
The only way to do it would be that of making an Increase Tax action before (so earning 70t while losing 1 stability level).
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am

and If I increase taxes then I will lose a stability level so I won't be able to make the attack anyway? If I can still attack despite losing a stability level from raising taxes then I'll do that. Otherwise I'll attack Bithynia from Galatia.

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 pm

vakarr wrote:and If I increase taxes then I will lose a stability level so I won't be able to make the attack anyway? If I can still attack despite losing a stability level from raising taxes then I'll do that.
If you make an Increase Tax action you'll be anyway able to lead a land attack because if the Stability lowers to level 3 the player is only disabled from launching independent or external attacks.
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm

News have reached the court of Ashoka the Great, Emperor of the Mauryans, beloved by Gods and Father of his populace, that the bandits who infested the steppes north of Fergana have been defeated by a caravan of pious monks and now the province has joyfully joined the Mauryan Empire, receiving the teachings of the Buddha and the blessing of their indian brothers.

The true doctrine is spreading everywhere in the east, bringing light to all the people that once lied in the darkness!
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

After five attempts the Seleucid circus is defeated!!!! On the 24th and last possible turn we managed to get over 40%!!!
Screen_00000032.jpg
the long march to victory, Seleucids in red
Screen_00000032.jpg (754.49 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Most of the game the Seleucids sat safe and secure on their hill or behind it, with the hill covered with masses of shooters and medium infantry. To help keep them there, I sacrificed a couple of units and sent them over that side of the battlefield. Meanwhile the rest of my army slowly but surely, two squares movement at a time, did a massive flank march through the woods, with the massed bowmen ending up facing the flank of the hill, which was out of range of their bows but not the troops in between. The massed bowmen were able to start shooting up Seleucids from the safety of the woods or rough ground, while the rest of the army crawled into position further near the enemy baseline. The elephants launched an attack but the bowmen destroyed the camels, which disrupted all the elephants, and they turned an ran for it, but not before the despised irregular foot had got one elephant. that meant that the elephants were a long way away from the cataphracts when they emerged from the woods, and, even better, the cataphracts were facing heavy cavalry, which is all they can beat in combat!! So an army of (mostly) rubbish was able to beat up the proud Seleucids, though it was extremely close. Never again will the Seleucid circus terrify the poor inhabitants of its neighbouring states! Sophene is free!!!

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 pm

Wow! :o

A really great and unexpected victory!! :shock:

And also a greater after action review!!! :mrgreen:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:54 am

Challenge created for Pontus v Bosporans, password "lightbringer"

Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 am

vakarr wrote:Challenge created for Pontus v Bosporans, password "lightbringer"
Excuse me vakarr.
I must infer that you have made a Tax Increase action and are now going to attack Bosphorus from Colchis?
(In this case it would be my turn to lead the Bosphorans)

Please let me know if I've correctly understood your intentions so that I can accept the challenge and update "The Actions & Events Track".
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

vakarr

Post by vakarr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

yes that's right

Aryaman