Server threw out my turn

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Varity
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Server threw out my turn

Post by Varity » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:48 pm

EDIT: Report partially in error, see below.

I was playing in the tournament match last night when I noticed that I couldn't save my turn to the server. The game tried for 20 seconds then gave me an error message. I tried it two or three times then noticed that my ISP was having a problem and I did not have any internet service at all. I left the game running overnight (~6 hours) and found my internet connection working again in the morning. I resumed the still running game and it appeared to upload the turn without a problem.

Now I just started playing the next turn and notice that apparently my turn did not have any effect at all - my opponent was moving his units with my units still in their original, unmoved positions.

What was the problem here? Is there a time limit that may not be exceeded for a turn or can the server not cope with a dropped and reestablished internet connection?

Is there anything I should have done differently?

EDITED TO ADD:
A review of the screen recording that I take for my turn reveals that the case is actually slightly different: I had played only part of my turn during the long session during the night and succeeded in saving that part of it to the server the morning. I then finished the other tournament game and returned to the game in question. I then took 10 minutes to make some more moves and attacked and broke an enemy unit, changing the score. It appears that it is this last part of my turn that is missing, even though there were no unusual things happening at that point. I still have the video recording of it and could upload it, if I will help the investigation.

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Server threw out my turn

Post by 76mm » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 am

I had a similar problem just now...I played my tourney turn, tried to upload it but it would not do so (rest of internet is working normally). Then I saved the game to the server and reloaded it, at which point the reloaded game did not show any of my latest moves, and I could not make any other moves, so I lost a turn.

Obviously, this is highly undesirable for tourney play.

schmolywar
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by schmolywar » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Unfortunate, but can I assume I will get my turns anyway? Time is running out here.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

It is probably best to contact support@slitherine.co.uk about this.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm

76mm wrote:I had a similar problem just now...I played my tourney turn, tried to upload it but it would not do so (rest of internet is working normally). Then I saved the game to the server and reloaded it, at which point the reloaded game did not show any of my latest moves, and I could not make any other moves, so I lost a turn.

Obviously, this is highly undesirable for tourney play.
Agreed.

What happened in your case is something not envisaged.

Let me explain:

When you save an MP turn, your troops are in fact all moved back to their starting positions, and this setup is saved along with a log of all your actions during the turn. When the next player does his turn, the replay actually does all the moves you did again, and ends up with the troops in the final position you ended up with.

If an end turn save fails, it should get saved again correctly if you try again.

However, In your case, you Saved the game rather than hitting "End Turn" again, and what seems to have got saved is the pre-turn position. In fact there is no point is Saving a game position to the server if it fails to upload when you end your turn, because if the server is still down it won't upload your Save game either. So it is better to try End Turn again.

Sorry this happened to you. To stop what happened to you from happening, we need to disable the "Save Game and continue later" button if the game is in this limbo after a failed attempt at an End Turn upload.

Thanks for drawing our attention to this issue.
Richard Bodley Scott

76mm
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by 76mm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Richard, thanks for the response. A bit more color:
1) I had actually tried to end the turn several times before trying to save it--the end turn attempts time out, but the game was saved immediately.
2) I can't be 100% sure, but I think that when I got the turn back from my opponent, it included my moves during the "lost" turn.

More generally, I problem that I have had a few times now is that I try to end a turn, and get an error message. I try again, and again, and again, etc. and get more error messages, with no indication that the turn has been ended. There is now way to gracefully exit from this situation, so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the program, and when I restart the game I often see that in fact the turn was ended and it is now my opponent's turn, although I never got any indication of a successful turn end.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:15 pm

76mm wrote:Richard, thanks for the response. A bit more color:
1) I had actually tried to end the turn several times before trying to save it--the end turn attempts time out, but the game was saved immediately.
I am fairly sure that this was coincidental. Both end turn uploads and mid-turn saves go to the same server. The server must have come back on line just before you saved it.
2) I can't be 100% sure, but I think that when I got the turn back from my opponent, it included my moves during the "lost" turn.
Weird. I don't think the game should be allowing a Save after a failed End Turn - because what you would be saving is not the final position of the turn. This could be responsible for all sorts of weirdness, and we will be disabling it in the next update. I need to discuss the issue with the engine programmer, but of course he is of duty for the weekend.
More generally, I problem that I have had a few times now is that I try to end a turn, and get an error message. I try again, and again, and again, etc. and get more error messages, with no indication that the turn has been ended. There is now way to gracefully exit from this situation, so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the program, and when I restart the game I often see that in fact the turn was ended and it is now my opponent's turn, although I never got any indication of a successful turn end.
If you attempt to end the turn several times, I am not sure how many, it will eventually show a dialogue which says that it has failed to upload several times, do you want to abandon the turn and start again.

However, sometimes the server does in fact upload the ended turn even when it says it hasn't.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”