New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Moderators: kronenblatt, Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: New FOGII (April 2018) Campaign Tournament (bbogensc)

Post by Morbio »

Kabill wrote:Iberia once again proves a stubborn target for Spain. Landing by sea, the Spanish army advances up the coast at speed, drawing off a part of the Iberian force. Arrayed, the Spanish attack with confidence, gaining early dominance on their left flank and moving reserves to hold while the main force looks to close with the core Iberian infantry. The initial Spanish assault is powerful and dissolves the Iberian line, but an ambush sprung from a thin line of woods on the right flank causes a panic in the Spanish ranks. Meanwhile, the holding force on the Spanish left fail to press their advantage and a cavalry reserve pushes past the main Spanish line to attack them from the rear. On a knife-edge, with troops scattered across the battlefield, both sides fight fiercely, until the Spanish finally move into position to vanquish the Iberian ambushers. But, as they prepare their final charge, one of the core Spanish warbands is panicked by routing cavalry and, attempting to withdraw to a secure position, loses its nerve and puts them to flight.

Spain (kabill) loses to Iberia 1 (played by morbio), 60-59
To say the win was a surprise is an understatement. :shock: This was a tremendous battle that looked like it only had one result when the main lines met. Note to self: Irregular MF really offer no resistance to Roman legions, Close Order Warbands and Scutarii. I learnt a lot as I'd never played this type of army before.

Kabill: Thanks for a tremendous game and I feel for your loss, particularly the way it came!
Kabill
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Kabill »

Morbio wrote:Kabill: Thanks for a tremendous game and I feel for your loss, particularly the way it came!
It was a well-deserved win on your part though - after our initial engagement I was overly confident in my ability to win or at least hold the left flank while I destroyed your main line. Without the ambush, I guess that would have worked, but it bogged me down enough that you could edge out an advantage before I could respond. So as much as it hurts to have victory snatched away like that, I'm also kinda glad it worked for you in the end, because it was a good move requiring a lot more finesse than I was employing.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

Battling with irregular foot makes me think of leading an army of football hooligans. You can't win in a straight up fight with disciplined soldiers, so you have to fight dirty. Drag them into the bushes or onto rough ground, split them into little pieces, surround them and then beat the living daylights out of them while the refs not looking.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Ludendorf wrote:Battling with irregular foot makes me think of leading an army of football hooligans. You can't win in a straight up fight with disciplined soldiers, so you have to fight dirty. Drag them into the bushes or onto rough ground, split them into little pieces, surround them and then beat the living daylights out of them while the refs not looking.
Ha, ha obviously a Tottenham supporter :lol:
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

Unaware of the ill-fated sea-landing, the main Spanish army marches into the heart of Iberian territory resolved to victory. Avoiding the treacherous pass which so recently brought shameful defeat, the Spanish army manages to bypass the Iberian force which awaits them and find a position with favorable ground from which to launch an attack. Arrayed, the Iberians realise their disadvantage and attempt to manoeuvre to place wet and rough ground between their force and the heavy Spanish troops. Their effort sees some success - with full weight on their flank, the Iberians drive off the Spanish skirmishers holding that ground but their progress is not fast enough to settle into position. Meanwhile, significant elements of the Iberian force are caught on their manoeuvre and routed in detail. In the closing hour of the battle, then, the Spanish are able to reassemble their line to launch a successful assault on the Iberian army, putting them to flight.

Spain (kabill) defeats Iberia 2 (played by Najanaja), 22-49. Iberia 2 is captured and the attacking Spanish army remains.
Kabill's Great Generals Mod for FoG2: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=492&t=84915
RagnarOneTooth
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by RagnarOneTooth »

Glad to see you got one.
Kabill

Post by Kabill »

RagnarOneTooth wrote:Glad to see you got one.
Fight enough battles and you have to win one.

Right?
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

Kabill wrote:

Right?
If only that were true.... :D
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

Any province captured is significant.
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

Morbio wrote:
Kabill wrote:

Right?
If only that were true.... :D
Says he who is hiding on his little islands of joy 8)
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Cunningcairn defeats IMC in Nabataean civil war 24% to 50% keeping his army and holding territory 48.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

1 army is lost per 20% casualties in scaled battles.
Ironclad
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Ironclad »

1x2 Germania secures Gaul 7

Ironclad (Germanic Horse Tribes 260-492 AD) 1600 pts defeated Batesmotel (Gallic 100-50 BC) 1200 pts; 24% to 49%

Another intimidating terrain faced the German horsemen for their second attempt at conquering this Gallic province. In from the sea, the barrier of hills, woods and stream provided a strong defensive position for the well led and determined gallic defenders. As with their last try the Germans relied on their plentiful light troops to erode the enemy formations and achieve and support breakthroughs for the heavies. in this their extra numbers were critical to the battle success. Thanks to Batesmotel for a strong fight against superior numbers.

During the battle I thought the 20% loss mark would trigger the loss of one of my attacking armies and was relieved on checking afterwards that its 20% of actual casualties that causes that. My manpower losses were only 12% so both my armies survive to celebrate in the sack!

Screenshots below show the terrain and field at battle end and final losses table.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-04-23 18.21.39.png
Screenshot 2018-04-23 18.21.39.png (3.21 MiB) Viewed 2111 times
Screenshot 2018-04-23 18.24.24.png
Screenshot 2018-04-23 18.24.24.png (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2111 times
Nosy_Rat
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Nosy_Rat »

Using their superior numbers, Dacians repel both Macedonian attacks without much losses:
15 to 43% in Dacia (23)
18 to 45% in Thrace (24)
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

bbogensc wrote:1 army is lost per 20% casualties in scaled battles.
I was the defender.
* If 1x1 DEFENDER WINS (>25% rout diff). Defender does not lose any army. Defender keeps province.

I thought only the attacker only lost armies on percentages if they attacked with more than 1 army.
* If 1x2 (or higher) ATTACKER WINS, Attacker loses 1 army for each 20% of army lost on total casualties results page (not rout percentage), but not reduced to less than 1. Attacker takes province.
bbogensc
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by bbogensc »

The defender force depletion were intended to be covered in ex 8, where you can see the 20% rule is given. I will update this to be explicit on a 2x2 battle, defender wins, then look to 20% rule. My apologies as i thought i had covered every possible scenario.
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

On looking at the points allocations and army ratios on page 1 I notice there are still some disparities with points not always matching the ratio sequence or attacker sometimes shown first instead of the defender.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

bbogensc wrote:The defender force depletion were intended to be covered in ex 8, where you can see the 20% rule is given. I will update this to be explicit on a 2x2 battle, defender wins, then look to 20% rule. My apologies as i thought i had covered every possible scenario.
No problem it won't change anything as I was attacked and had no choice but to defend. I've also just realised I fought a 2 x 2 and not a 1 x 1 :oops: Which army do I lose?
Last edited by Cunningcairn on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Cunningcairn's Ptolemaic 320 to 167BC army has conquered Jewish 47 defeating RexHurley's Jewish 110 to 64BC by 34% to 61%.

I think this means that the Ptolemaic's take Jewish 47 without losing an army. This battle was a 1 x 1 battle so does that mean the 20% casualty does not apply and only applies to 1 x 2 and higher as below?

* If 1x1 ATTACKER WINS (over 60% in rout %). Attacker loses army. Attacker takes province.
* If 1x2 (or higher) ATTACKER WINS, Attacker loses 1 army for each 20% of army lost on total casualties results page (not rout percentage), but not reduced to less than 1. Attacker takes province.
Ludendorf

Post by Ludendorf »

The battle for Gaul (6) has concluded in a draw. Etruscan (batesmotel) casualties 49% vs Gaul (Ludendorf) 45%. Etruscans lose one 199-106BC army (I think? Was it a mixed army? If so, which army is destroyed?). 28%-23% casualties (Etruscan-Gallic). Defenders lose army. Neutrals hold province.
Attachments
Etruscan vs Gaul Result 2.jpg
Etruscan vs Gaul Result 2.jpg (366.76 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
Etruscan vs Gaul Result 1.jpg
Etruscan vs Gaul Result 1.jpg (269.57 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tournaments & Leagues”