Re: Noob looking for advice

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planets resources.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

EDIT: I'm not the Opening Poster, it was a bot or a spammer which have been removed.
Like you I was answering (to a message that was stolen elsewhere).

I play only Chaos, and I like basic marines too. Play as you feel, you'll adapt.
Usually I build only 2 bases, 3 feels luxury.
Against fortress I use meltabombs and heroes ('death-ray' and 'finisher'), so I have to prepare to be sure that bombs are not launched for nothing in the end.

Yes I hate playing against grown up imperials, maybe the counter is the flying units, to search and directly attack their arty.
Last edited by ErissN6 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
petike811
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by petike811 »

Hi
Try use custom editing if you dont like something.
For example here are the starcannon and the suncannon.
Both weapons overperforming on their chassis.

Probably its not an issue on the competative lvl cause Aeldari need those damage numbers,
but if 3 unleashed Aeldari ai running toward your frontline, those are a real challange.

Those weapons capabilities started to appear when i have played with Chaos and Astartes, with others all was managed. Sure you started to value smoke more. Ruins, forests and even city walls are not enough. There is no problem with the starcannon on its own, but 3 walkers on one tile its just a vaporizing experience. So i just reduced tht weapon number of attacks to one.
The suncannon makes a triple chainlighting gundam out of the wraithknight, probably the problem is with the blast trait, take out tht one or lower the number of attacks. Something that has blast trait and hit 3 times with a range of 3 is extremly dangerous to your heavy infantry. But at least you start to learn how to use transports and smoke.
-But how? -Smuggle in these low quality crystals, the Aeldari must not be aware of the changes, we need to keep them nice and laizy.

So razorback is not good, with smoke its good enough. But chimera is best and i enjoy the ai tweaks too.
Last edited by petike811 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
petike811

Post by petike811 »

Let me share one of my experience

As someone mentioned morale is the way to go against Aeldari. With some difficulities i was able to cripple the craftworldien army, allright is time to initiate the counter offensive. Then one or two wraithknights came and sniped some of my high tier infantry units, restored the enemy morale and all was lost at that cruical turn. Yes the same thing, you can watch it in the Dawn of war intro, but here it is geniunely played it out and it doesnt feel scripted. All you need to do is play the game and try to win.

As for another game i have read a 4 pages long well writen quide, i could hardly wait to reinstall the game and see how it goes, but nope, nothing, the same as before altough the starmap looked great.
petike811

Post by petike811 »

Note: not sure but maybe invulnerability damage reduction doesnt stack according to tooltip, tht would make mark of tzeench obsolete on demons.
i mean it seemed reasonable to boost 50% damage reduction with 33%+17%(i tought it should stack just cannot exceed 50%) since i edited marks and doctrines with plus 5-8% i cant verfy.
I think another good buffs to factions if you feel the space marines weak to lower the towers cooldown(1-2turns) it would make the gameplay more forgiving.
As for the chaos raise the souldblaze a bit or make it 2 turns lasting its too cruel but iconic, probably the skill was meant to be an anti regen skill anyways.

When to go for inf spec as a chaos player: if you set grox pasture and fermented pool to very high or you are in a lush environment consider to capitalize on rites and inf, especially rite of pestilence.
petike811

Post by petike811 »

Turn 1 and just started the game:
-first of all you need to deal with the tier1 wildlife around your base.
Deploy your base, this text wont cover the economic part.

-Most of the time you will get 2 units try to spare them(chaos is different cause you will build cities with your cultists as your resources allow it, the builder unit is consumed in the process exception Astartes cause they have no builder unit they deploy their fortress from the fleet)
-What can you do with your starter units, number one be cautios, and try to inflict kills to the closest wildlives, by default they are in packs 3-6 units closetogether they alert eachother so you need to lure them and utilize fort firepower as needed.(meanwhile learning base game mechanics like overwatch, weapon characteristics, movment on rough terrain, blocking enemy movments[ i think you cant tackle kroothounds and fliers])
-If you able to get one kill and didnt take any full unit loss, you are on the right path. On city tiles and on camps your units heal faster. Try find it where it is shown by hoovering over your unit stat( healing rate, dont forget somewhere on the map your opponents doing the same, so be quick dont fall behind them)./Wait till your units get to full HP, but the game actually starts when you will use units will low hp, count the models, and prioritize unit actions with lvlups/
So your prey got away, dissappeared in the great unkown, and you havent followed it. Good job, soon the night falls and there are plentiful danger ahead, wait till your reinforcements arrive.

-Stay close to your fort, dont go 6-8 tiles further from your base try to capture the closest camps, every camp gives you a small amount of rescources per turn(the planet try to get rid of the invaders, and they would collapse your makeshift establishments but once you able to connect your fort with camps, there will be walls and shelters[based on faction per se]. The neutrals wont able to ruin or recapture them even the biggest ones. Only the hq building is in danger, once its gone you will lose it all.)
-Still no sign of reinforcements but allready took 2 camps and your starter units are ready to scout. Try to stick together, let them guard eachother by not letting the wildlife surround one of your unit. (try to maximalize your view range and use safer scouted routes) since the release of the game many changes have been made, one of them your opponent ai/neutrals try to telegraph tht they are up to something. Pay attention to those small details. (similar to Battle of the Bulge 1965 or Dark Souls wht you prefer)
Allright, forget the hunting, just try to inflict moderate damage on the closest tier1 wildlife to chase them away and secure your base of operation.

-Gather a small taskforce, clear out the tier1 wildlife around your base. Lets see some examples: Astra Militarum-2chimmeras, 4guardsmen Tyranids-2termangants ,1gargoyles ,1tyranid prime Orc-3boys,2warbuggies Mummies-2necronwarriors,1tomb blade,1lord
Most ppl fail cause they overextend, try to use the smallest most easily achievable taskforce with highest effiency. Try clear out one area, same wildlife creature type, evade the new creature type till you think are done with the former one or not a threat anymore.(if the last hound of the pack in the middle of kastelan robot formation leave them be)

-One more thing on lower mid lvl against one ai scissors, rock, paper enough. On higher setting you think you are winning but you are loosing in tht sense its closer to chess.( or you can watch it in bfg2 intro, yes yes on grunt lvl certain things are dealt with swiftly)
Taare
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Taare »

when you start, stay at home mostly, get a few of the resource spots around your base, get research building first.
do not go out and engage the wildlife until you get your first hero, that experience is gold for the hero early on.

Work on getting long range units, in chaos case that is havocs. Havocs are excellent, 3 range is fantastic.
do not bother with "tanks" yet, i mean the big units building, stick on infantry.

do not forget resource buildings either. go fast for your second city, spam units as much as your resources allow, the second city will give you a good income boost.

prioritize getting habitats and morale building then go towards the main building production upgrade. Healer hero is also advised
build 2 infantry and 1 hero production building and you are good for a long while, when you start getting your cities up and running consider what your empire need to continue building more units.
build accordingly but do not forget housing and morale. then spam units, keep healer hero behind frontlines and retreat wounded units to heal as needed.

other faction will normally come like a fist when they first come, can be easier attacking usually.
When fighting them focus on actually deleting the enemy units, killing units lowers their morale and raises yours, units with low morale do way less damage.

Most important thing is to keep producing units, when you think you have enough move out, but keep producing. When you get the tech up swith to building high tier units almost exclusively,
Good luck
GeneralKostas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralKostas »

I try to finish the quests for the Space Marines against the Astra Militarum. I have spotted their base and tried an attack, but they counter-attacked me and Game Over.

So, the best tactic is to gather a strong force and research the high tier units and specs.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War”