Fantastic game!

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planets resources.
Friedrich1250
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Fantastic game!

Post by Friedrich1250 »

I really like this game a lot - great work, people! Finally, I can play a 4X game that is not too complicated, but there is much to do and to consider. Artwork and music are really beautiful and the AI is demanding, which is not often the case with other games. What could you dislike about this game? I have a lot of fun with your little gem. Thanks for this fantastic game!
Regards
Andreas
zhukodim
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Fantastic game!

Post by zhukodim »

Glad you enjoy the game! Actualy the game is much deeper than first imression about it. You can see it in multiplayer for example. Also soon we will get DLC with tyranids.
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

The game is really, really good; but it truly shines in multiplayer.
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

Seems most people that play it are pleasantly surprised by it. Of course the Warhammer 40K theme creates a niche, but its a big enough niche that a lot of people will hopefully discover this gem.

I know I try and get people to give it a go for sure. So far no complaints of those that tried it.
petike811

Post by petike811 »

Hi to all!
This game is the best thing happened since PG2, sure there were others, but I think this game honors that one memory in a good manner.

Still there are some issues, while reading about this game on different forums. I am afraid that all those MMO forum whiners will put the game development to a wrong track.
For example there is a Steam thread about balance, concerning op baneblade vs poor nids.
There are a lot of replies and none mentioning the usages of relics, which is even in the title of the game.
Surly the slow baneblade can be quite cost effective, not to mention its scalling with relic.
And nids aggressivity can be misleading to some, like changing those “choke points” then be aggressive.
Skipping 10 turns is never a good idea, the result most of the time is punishing, I wonder why are they playing on large maps, probably not to get rushed so easily. But by the time the enemy get to them they are already sitting on a bunch of relics, thats the prize of neglecting zone control.
I can only hope that facetank mmo mentality era wont come back.

About implementation of the shared cooldowns:
I think its an absolutely great idea, which can be utilized further in this game.
For example I really missed “overrun” ability from pg2, yes the tank commander has that, but that ability consumes the action, and probably cause of the simult. turns they put that ability that way. The shared cooldowns can open up different usage of different abilities dev don’t need to choose. Player will choose how they see fit. So I hope in the near future will see good innovative traits, abilities, don’t be shy to fill up those brackets.

Best wishes,

u.i. blaming nids' belly forcaster aka vampirelord is like blaming the vampires from the homm series not being dragons.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

More than 550 hours, only playing against AIs, the more of them on bigger map with slower pace.
Often my victory, or rather my losses, is decided by "geostrategy", the fight with neighbours, letting others to be later too big.
tide1993
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by tide1993 »

I love this game 660 hours playing it.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

Just got the Complete edition from the latest Steam sale and I'm really enjoying the game.

The gameplay feels like a classic RTS made turn/hex based (or Advance Wars on steroids) rather than a 4X game which it superficially resembles.

My favorite feature in the game is that contextual next unit/city/turn button :D. It makes breezing through the turns without missing anything important really easy.

One thing I miss the most in the game is an ability to specialize some of the common units outside the research tree, especially the infantry. For example, when Tactical Marine squad reaches level 5 the player could be offered an upgrade to replace two of the Bolters with either Plasma guns for improved armor penetration, or flamers for better performance against enemies in cover. Level 5 Heavy Weapon Squad could be offered an upgrade that either swaps one Krak Missile Launcher for Lascannon (better against armoured targets) or Autocannon/Mortar (better against lightly armoured targets). This would make the veteran units feel more special and valuable and extend their usefulness further to the late game.

I hope the game keeps getting more expansions in future as well!
sulfire
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by sulfire »

ErissN6 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:41 pm More than 550 hours, only playing against AIs, the more of them on bigger map with slower pace.
Often my victory, or rather my losses, is decided by "geostrategy", the fight with neighbours, letting others to be later too big.
Just had an epic game, (on the latest version I can run, as vulkan drivers don't work with my old laptop). teamed up with an AI as a necron team, vs every other faction as paired teams, difficulty normal +2.

Strong start, annihilated two players in 15 turns, and then after a brief time wiping out wildlife and 'nids, the space marines turned up and just started rolling over us, totally wiped out my teammate, who being a dumb AI missed the chance to kill the guard player next to hm so got turned into sandwich filler. Had to fight a careful losing position, to try and get the astartes to meet the remaining guard, who had built 4 cities and were on a roll. cost a city and 9/10ths of my army, but my economy was strong so was able to replace them fast. I do like the necron resource management game.

Decided to build a wee covert strike team, faked out the space marines with 1/3 of my army doing hit and runs to draw them away from their city, and airdopped a flood of guys onto their home bases, with a vehicle base spearhead breaking their route home across the map. battling hard to stop their tanks and dreadnaughts wiping out the strike force, and then trying to keep the guard bottled up so that they couldn't take advantage of the mayhem.

a lot of fun, that game, really thought i'd lost it when the two space marine players rolled over the orks and then came at me.

So thanks for the game, guys. Just wish you'd stop insisting on vulkan support, as I can't get any gameplay updates.

Also, I do wonder why the game runs so hot when really there are less than 1000 objects running about. Is it badly optimized graphics or AI issues?
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

sulfire wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:46 am a lot of fun, that game, really thought i'd lost it
Yes, I had some games like that too, it felt epic. But often we think we will lose, and yup we do lose. :)
wish you'd stop insisting on vulkan support,
I do wonder why the game runs so hot when really there are less than 1000 objects running about. Is it badly optimized graphics or AI issues?
Buy a vulkan computer, it helps :)
sulfire

Post by sulfire »

ErissN6 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:51 pm Buy a vulkan computer, it helps :)
lol. I did. now the game runs, but the AI sucks. So much effort, such a let down :D
xxup

Post by xxup »

So what laptop should I buy? How do I know that it is going to be compatible with the Vulkan graphics?
SteamSlither
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by SteamSlither »

xxup wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 am So what laptop should I buy? How do I know that it is going to be compatible with the Vulkan graphics?
Technically any modern laptop released within the last year or two (or three) should definitely run Vulkan. However Vulkan specs rope in a large number of cards that are supposed to be compatible, but for one reason or another various problems occur. These however tend to be much older cards, but not necessarily so.

You might want to look over technical support forms for games that are using Vulkan such as No Man's Sky. Some games like Red Dead Redemption offer the choice to use an alternate graphic renderer, I.e RDR2 one can choose either directX12 or Vulkan.

Studying the technical support forms for the Vulkan drivers leads me to a personal opinion Vulkan seems rather experimental, as some game developers are hedging their bets with the choice between another graphic renderer, however there are a lot of people that don't have any problems with Vulkan .

Me, I cannot I run Vulkan because my card is a tad too old, however Gladius 1.2.6 runs the game just fine and I am having fun with it even tinkering with personal mods . I even got units from the assault pack and fortress pack to work, well some of them, sort of, since code has changed , and some effects cannot be replicated from the later patches to 1.2.6 , but it's good enough, my Marines now got RAZORBACK!

I would try Red Dead Redemption two as research my card does run the game with acceptable FPS but on low settings, however I have to wait for Windows 8.1 support as RDR2 uses directX12 which is windows 10.
xxup

Post by xxup »

What a mess! So, even if I buy a new laptop, there is no guarantee that it will work with Vulkan. Oh well, I will have to park my investment in this game (Base plus all the DLCs) for 10 years or so until they sort it out.. It's a good thing that Fantasy General II works so well or I would go nuts!
SteamSlither

Post by SteamSlither »

xxup wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:46 pm What a mess! So, even if I buy a new laptop, there is no guarantee that it will work with Vulkan. Oh well, I will have to park my investment in this game (Base plus all the DLCs) for 10 years or so until they sort it out.. It's a good thing that Fantasy General II works so well or I would go nuts!
If you HAVE it already, fallback to 1.2.6 legacy which works fine up to Tyranids , reinforcement and Skull King DLC. That is what I'm using.
Other than that you can post a query as what laptop(s) people are using to run the latest Gladius and go from there.

But otherwise, yeah, it will be a few more years before I go to another computer as the one I have now seems to run everything else unless Vulkan or Win10 dx12 only, no "killar app" yet.
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mbpopolano24 »

Love the game as well, well done.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

I couldn´t disagree more. I´d say it´s the worst 4X I ever had the misfortune to buy.

My review would read something like this:

Gladius is rather stupid in more ways than one. Tactics matter little. I think you don´t even get a flanking bonus for Chrissake. Low tier units simply become obsolete, while in a well designed game they would still have a role as cheap cannonfodder. Combined arms, what is combined arms? I think ProxyStudios is one of the worst design teams ever.

Gladius is like a rather silly RTS that is somehow slowed down to turnbased. Plus all the terrain looks like mud and no zoom keys to add insult to injury.
manosco1

Post by manosco1 »

Go back playing your tactical wargames, and let us enjoy in peace this little pearl that is - without any doubt - the best turn based, large scale game about wh40k ever created
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

sIg3b wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:27 amyou don´t get a flanking bonus. Low tier units simply become obsolete. Combined arms?
. Flanking bonus would give advantage to the already winning side, but you already have Zone Of Control.
. Some low tier units can be upgraded, such as my beloved Chaos Marines infantry, backbone of my playing style. Thanks Gladius trees which adapted by the war: no forest fires! (next a new Wood Chaos god? lol)
. Combined armed is achieved by mixing your units, some destroying ennemy morale, some protecting from the rear, some against the air, etc, but not all armies are good in this concept: choose your side which do use this.
tide1993

Post by tide1993 »

no combined arms? tanks, mech infantry, SP artillery, ground attack aircraft, air mobile infantry, bombers, self propelled AA.
That guy was a troll.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War”